Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola GP300 Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola GP300
Motorola GP300 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $800.00
Description: 2 - 8 - 16 channel VHF of UHF Handheld transceiver. 5 Watts of power.

You can write your own review of the Motorola GP300.

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2004 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Solid and reliable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using a UHF GP300 for about 3 months now. Very solid, dependable communication. I have other HTs, but this is the one which I carry and use everyday because its so rugged and just works. I use mine with a leather swivel holster, rapid charger, and 2 batteries. Works great. The holster & rapid charger are worthwhile accessories. Motorola has a winner with this one.

SM3WEO Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2004 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Versetile Radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you need a workhorse radio that doesn't understands words like "Fail" or "Quit" or in need of a doorstop or a hammer to drive a nail in to a wall, then get a GP300!
A commersial tranceiver that beats this legendary item (the worlds most sold HT!) has never been built and will never be.

UT5UIL Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2003 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Solid as a rock  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
+ Excellent for extremely rough use. Excellent IMD rejection you can use it as a base or mobile.
- PC programmable only. Big size and weight. RX sensitivity is relative low.

Resume: I have my one sold and now Ive got TH-F7E. New owner uses the GP-300 as a base station and seems to be happy with it.

NOMIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2003 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these great radios for over 4 years. I cannot stop praising the performance of this device. It exceeds any ham radio HT in its performance on recieve and transmit. Rugged and well made, this HT delivers. I highly recommend getting yourself one of these babies. Used, you can find them on ebay for about 150-200 bucks. Good luck and 73, Brian

ADAM69 Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2003 11:00 Send this review to a friend
The Best Ever!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have seen these radios used everywhere i went eg: airport,security,police, and thought to myself,if these radios are as popular as what i think,or what they are said to be,then i want some! I purchased 2 units from e-bay cheap, both european versions,UHF,one non-keypad and one keypad,i refurbished them both and put them through there paces! I couldn't say much but what a fantastic radio! We use them for climbing,events,car 2 car,shopping,and we've had 18 miles out of them upon open water! I also own a motorola GP320 and GP340,but i still insist on using my non-keypad GP300! The thing is never out of use,24-7! Constantly in my hand in use they coninue to work at 5 years of age! What a fantastic radio,you have to get one!!!

ALANYCT Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2003 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Fun-tastic Unit !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have been using this GP300 for more than 4 years and is still working fine and we had a lot of fun-tastic time with them. We actually are off-roader and you know what we did with them. It been our only mean of communication in the jungle even if we are far apart. Once we had an experience with out normal GP300 (UHF) and our car set for a distance of 30Km..! DO YOU BELIEVE THAT!!! But is the truth. The car set is on top of a hill whereby there are no blockage direct down to the base at the foot hill and the distance (directly) is more than 30Km and that I call it FUN-tastic...!!!

WB9YCJ Rating: 2/5 Feb 3, 2003 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Needs help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We have about 80 of these at my place of work and my GP-68 is more sensitive. GP-300 receiver cant hold up well in strong RF environments. Intermod, etc.
I was told by a two way shop that this model was brought about to answer the needs of the econo minded buisness, government and commercial users.
They do have loud receiver audio though.
Lacking in features. They dont come close to high end, high performance Motorola HTs. You get what you pay for.

W2WRX Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2003 01:10 Send this review to a friend
Heavy Duty HT !!!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got 2 Motorola GP-300 Radius,a VHF and UHF 16 ch.,it is well built and take a licking.I've drop my Kenwood Ht and it about had it,battery flew off and it would not come to life when I install the battery pack back on.Even reseted the unit on Default and only half the LCD showed,so back to the repair shop it went.Came back and they said the ribbon clip to the signal bracket broke and a short to the PTT switch to the frame.Got the new Motorola VHF and drop the unit on the concrete and it still operated with no sign of problems except for a little ding on the battery pack corner,I don't drop HT's for a living ,but it sure fells good to know that the Motorola's are well made like the "HUMMER" vehicle.I call it my Heavy Duty HT's.

DI7 Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2003 06:54 Send this review to a friend
great ht  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my gp300 for 1 year. I got it cheap and it has not let me down yet. This radio could survive a nuculer bomb, its that tough, makes you think if it really needs to be this strong.Any way this radio will take a beating and the battery will last forever, the radio requires a RIB to program which can be made for about $10, or buy one from Motorola for about $300. You can find dos based software around on the net(just takes a bit of looking). I cant fault this radio in any way. enjoy:-) 73s

K4AAR Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2003 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, rugged, reliable, and bullet proof radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned many different amateur HTs and have been using commericial equipment for over two decades. I have extensive experience with the GP300. This is a very rugged, durable, and commericial grade HT. I have had both the UHF and VHF models (16 channel). The GP300 has typical Motorola quality TX audio with great receiver specs and RX audio, too. THe radio outperforms all amateur HTs. I have used and abused both GP300 and the HT1000s and in my opinion, and who knows I could be wrong, the only radio to consider if you want a rugged, no frills HT. These HTs are just great and I only use Motorola GP300 and HT1000s for amateur use. This is what all radios should be like!