Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-T90A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-T90A
Icom IC-T90A Reviews: 117 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $319.95
Description: Tri-ban FM transceiver, Wide-bad 495Khz - 999.990 Mhz, Dynamic Memory Scan, Lithium-Ion technology, Rugged palm sized, weather-resistant construction, DTCS & CTCSS ton squelch. Simple to Operate !

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-T90A.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2016 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Works Great & it's Compact  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the 3rd T90A I have owned & they all worked Great as does this one.This one has had the MARS Mod so it also operates on 220 mhz at about 1 watt output.Very compact & aftermarket batteries & drop in chargers are very very reasonable.If it had D-STAR & dual receive it may be the perfect HT but it is perfect for what it was designed to do.I sold the others because I rarely used them but we are in the process of putting up a 6 meter repeater locally so this one will get used a whole lot more.I own quiet a few HT's & I think the ICOM T90A is my favorite because of it's compact size & reliability. {:>)
N3EKO Rating: 0/5 Jan 4, 2016 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Worst reciever ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
If the radio would have a better receiver it is a nice radio. It picks signals out of band and lets you listen to them in band!
Like weather in the ham band?? All the people I have spoke to about it have the same issue. All the bands have the same issue. Icom confirmed the issue with me when I called them about it.

Not for use in the city!
WB6CSH Rating: 0/5 Feb 20, 2015 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Poor transceiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I previously rated this transceiver (handie-scratchie), and it received a "4/5". However, as time went on, I have found that reception on some frequencies is really non-existent. For the 222 MHz band, for example, I have never received any signals either in the San Diego or Sacramento area, despite STRONG signals being received on another ham transceiver (IC-27A) in those same areas!

It also fails in the AM aircraft reception mode, too! The volume control has to be advanced all the way just to hear SOME of the aircraft transmissions. Most of the ground transmissions (ATC) cannot be heard nor detected.

Six meters can only be heard when I'm quite close (can see the site!) to the repeater site. Two meters and 70 centimeters seems okay. No more Icom handhelds for me - this is my second "loser HT".
WK3P Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2014 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Best HT Ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love the radio I think itís the best HT out there. Too bad they donít make it anymore.

Easy to program

Only con would be cost of batteries
M1CXF Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2013 08:35 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best handheld I have ever owned. I have the modified UK version which is capable of working 70MHz. Such a small radio working four bands, and working them well.
As with most menu driven radios programming can be a little bit of a faf but the computer programme makes this much easier. What a shame Icom have stopped making them.
N2NJU Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 19:52 Send this review to a friend
great performer and compact too.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio several years back as a
'take to work radio' now I take it everywhere
up to and including the beach. I only had one
problem to speak of and that was only after
the radio was "ruff handeled" and dropped
many stopped transmitting, turned
out several of the screws next to the antenna
(outside the case) became loose and needed to
be tightened down....good as new.
K8ERV Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2012 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had 3 of these for some time. Others have covered most of the features. I REALLY like the 5 call channels, just right for me on two bands. I sure wish it would scan the call channels since they are obviously the favorites, but that is not to be.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
W2XOY Rating: 4/5 Sep 12, 2010 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Not as good as the VX-5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this HT last month on closeout. I compared it to my Yaesu VX-5 and VX-6. The Yaesu HTs are slightly more sensitive. The Icom lacks a mid level power range, on 5 watts, it gets hot. Battery life is not as long. Intermod the same as on the Yaesus. Overall, a good tri-band HT, but a used VX-5 is a better choice. I give it a 3.5 (rounded up to 4).
YD1LPS Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2010 21:53 Send this review to a friend
nice ht  Time owned: more than 12 months
This my first multiband HT from Icom,frist icom owned is ic-02AT and still work until now...
I use T90A just for RX and almost not use for transmit ( I dont want damage the final cause is dificult repair hehehe),good rx and no intermod or intermitent in wfm and fm cause i'm not use the original T90A antenna, so i use ic-V8 antenna and for listenig sw and BC band i use 45 cm HT antenna. battery still good until now i'm use for more 1 years,wall charger use.
simple program and use,all band is working good.

N1FDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Good All Around  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I rated this unit a 5 because it's simple. It's a multiband tranciever and does one thing at a time and does it reasonably well. It can be operated with one hand, no function key or hold this and turn that. Once you've gone through the radio you really don't need it any longer. The software really helps in seting it up the way you like. 18 banks help the organization. You can re-program the TV memories for FM broadcast, nice.
As for performance I owned one of these when they first came out and sold it a few years ago to buy a IC-91A, still no D--Satr I could hit from my house. However after make the change I began to notice things I could hear with the old T90 I could not with the 91A, stock antenna to stock antenna. For some reason otherwise I did not like the 91A. Vol & tune knob together seem to be an issue with big finger. Anyway sold the 91A and got another T90 and it's like an old friend came home. This radio is not perfect but which one is, it's just a nice simple package for all around use and a real good price. General coverage is great.