Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Logikey K-3 Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for Logikey K-3 Keyer
Logikey K-3 Keyer Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Iambic keyer based on Super CMOS Keyer III Design
More info: http://www.idiompress.com

You can write your own review of the Logikey K-3 Keyer.

KK6AW Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2014 11:04 Send this review to a friend
Been a great unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been reading the reviews for the K-3 and the support.
Have things changed that much? I have owned my k-3 for many years, at least 10. I have had only one problem which required me to send in for repair, it has been so many years ago I have forgotten what it was. I called on phone and it was immediately answered and I was told to send it in for repair which I did. As I remember it only took a couple weeks and the cost was well within reason. I had occasion to email them and was answered right away.
Again this was years ago so many things may have changed.

K5SBR Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2012 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Positive  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 54 years on the air, I've used a bunch of keyers, beginning with a homebrew 9TO from the '62 Radio Handbook. I love my Curtis 8044 chip keyers. After using a K-3...well, I now have three. I like it. It works for me very well.

KA2X Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2011 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Some tips & a mod...  Time owned: more than 12 months
My K-3 has been in service since 1998 with only one problem. After 7 years it gave up the ghost which I think was caused by static when I touched the 12V power plug. Idiom fixed it for ~$40 which included upgrading it for protection from this sort of damage.
I added a small 850 ohm pot in series with the speaker in order to adjust sidetone volume.
And, lately the speed was jumping up & down sometimes when I turned the Speed pot. I gave this pot a spritz of tuner cleaner which fixed this problem.
All-in-all I've been very happy with my K-3 and the service I received.

F1BZF Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2010 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having bought this keyer back in 2004, I decided to include a battery for easier operation. To make things short, I modified the circuit in cutting a trace and installing 2 diode 1N400x).
Circuit now is as the K-5
So it no longer drain batteries in few weeks.

OK1RP Rating: 3/5 Jun 16, 2010 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Nobody is perfect...even not K3  Time owned: months
I had chance to test several keyers. So there is what I found as Cons on the K3 from Idiom Press:

- horrible auto spacing function ( I did not understood why it's there) useless in practice
- no int. battery
- no Curtis A !
- for different speed the different letter spacing/pauses are needed... impossible and all is glued together when You are recording the message.
- no audio level control presented
- mini jack socket for keyer output is nightmare and good joke from the designers.

Nobody is perfect...even K3.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

WW8J Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2010 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Possibly, The Very Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this keyer for about five years. Prior to this time I have always used a hand key, and occasionally a mechanical bug. The bug now rests in a box in a drawer. I have only had one problem with the K-3 during these five years of ownership, which was related to transmission line radiation. This situation was immediately corrected. As a result the Keyer's control speed was affected (could not control character speed). After removing the Keyer's power source, and then again re-applying power, the keyer regained it's normal functionality. I cannot compare it to any other external keyer as this is the only one I have ever owned. I am very satisfied with K-3's performance, and have no intention of moving on to another manufacturer's keyer, as I have grown accustomed to the form and functionality of the K-3. I use the K-3 with a Kent SP1, and home brew single paddle. In the event this unit fails, which is very unlikely, I would purchase an upgraded Logikey model such as the K-5 for a replacement.
Being able to command the keyer in Morse code makes for easy programming.

W3WW Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2008 09:33 Send this review to a friend
The Greatest  Time owned: more than 12 months
Six years of extremely heavy abuse and the K3 still operates like new. I am always switching keyers going from software generated (K1EL and others)to internal keyers and undoubtedly end up going back to the Logikey. Some are excellent keyers but the K3 feels the best at higher speeds. The K3 is the least affected by stray RF in the shack at any speed. I may exchange radios frequently, but I would NEVER part with my Logikey K3.

W1YB Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2008 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Great product and company!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't even remember how many years I had mine before I went back to a straight key. My son-in-law is still abusing it.

Never missed a beat!

This company has been great over the years!! They are superior to most other gear suppliers.

W8ZNX Rating: 2/5 Aug 1, 2008 00:34 Send this review to a friend
you may love it but i do not  Time owned: more than 12 months
it was fb when it ran

died within 3 weeks
they charged me to fix it

developed other probs

200 bucks invested in a keyer that does not work

W4SK Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't go wrong with this. Owned mine several years. Definitely a keeper.