Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Logikey K-3 Keyer Help

Reviews Summary for Logikey K-3 Keyer
Logikey K-3 Keyer Reviews: 65 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Iambic keyer based on Super CMOS Keyer III Design
More info: http://www.idiompress.com

You can write your own review of the Logikey K-3 Keyer.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2008 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up on EBay. Very easy to send CW on, has multiple keyer-type settings, all better than keyers built-in to your transceivers. Highly recommend, you will pick up 5 WPM sending accurately.

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2007 20:39 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!  Time owned: more than 12 months
3 years running, perfect operation. So many options and versatility, I am still amazed by what it can do. Great product!

W4RAR Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2006 21:39 Send this review to a friend
I love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love CW and this keyer makes it even better. I have fried the chip from using a cheap wall wart which the manual warns you of. You need to hardwire to a decent power supply or add a battery strip. But this keyer is a cw operators dream as all commands are sent via the Key. Easy to learn commands . The Auto space does work in memory mode thats what its for not manually sending as another ham posted. Great Keyer looking to peurchase a K5 soon

W7KKK Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2006 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Nice Keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my K3 on Ebay after I could not find one at any of the hamfests on online. I felt lucky only paying $56 and change plus reasonable shipping for it. Itís very easy to use and very versatile. I have used the keyers in rigs such as the FT-1000 MK V and the IC-746 and I like the K3 better.
Itís also very easy to set it up for a hand key quickly rather than try to get to the back of the rig like I have too with my IC-751. I still like my J-38.
The K3 monitor function is a little loud but you can turn that off. I am hard of hearing and I can hear it quite well. I would like to have a volume control on the K3 but I can control that by turning it off and using the rigís monitor function.

N6GK Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2006 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Keyer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used just about every keyer made at one time or another during my 46 years of hamming (e.g., homebrew, TO, AEA, Curtis, GrandMaster), but when I tried the Logikey K-3, I fell in love! Why? This keyer suddenly took my sending which, with age and physical problems had dwindled my accuracy down to about 25 wpm, and suddenly I was sendng 34 wpm MOBILE IN MOTION without error! WOW! Whatever algorithm they use, it is WONDERFUL! To me, it feels intuitive! I just had to have one for the home station as well, so I bought another one.
At first, I was a little intimidated by the buttons and commands, but that goes away in actual use after a few days of use, and then you begin to appreciate the power of this unit. I love the 6 memories, especially for contest use and CQing when QRP. I've had them both for many years, abusing the one in the car (baking in the summer sun day-in, day out), and never have had a hiccup, let alone a failure! If you need an outboard keyer, I strongly recommend the K-3 (or now, the improved K-5...how do they improve on perfection?).

K4KOR Rating: 1/5 May 31, 2006 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Save your money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used all the major keyers in my 46 years as a cw op. I was really let down with this one.

The logikey K3 doesn't have curtis A keying as advertised. It has curtis B but no one likes curtis B keying. This explains why people complain about it cutting off some of their characters and other problems sending with it.

The auto spacing doesn't work.

If the voltage to the logikey K3 varies more than half a volt either way ( and whose doesn't) it will fry something. I had mine back several times. It gets aggravating.

No internal battery.

Internal monitor is useless.

For this price it should come with appropriate plugs and a wall adapter.

I thought maybe I got a bad one but I've talked to many hams on the air and seen postings on the net of people having the same troubles as me.

They also had the same experience as me with the guy who makes these. When we politely complained the third time that we had to send it back he got extremely rude and threatening. Others have said they experienced the same. There's just no excuse for that.

You can get a keyer for half the price as the logikey K3 that will be trouble free, better built and has more features.

I've never had to give a bad posting for anything until now. But it's just my opinion.

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2006 05:56 Send this review to a friend
Money well spent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have always been a CW kinda guy, but a few months ago I really got infected with CW mania. I bought a Begali paddle (another wonderful product!) and quickly found out how mediocre the internal keyer in my FT-900 was. I then got a TS-940 with NO internal keyer, so after a brief survey of available keyers, I bought a K-3. Wow! Hey, my CW sending is so much better above 25 wpm, I don't slap the Begali paddle all over the bench anymore, I don't get worn out after four hours on the air...and I haven't even finished experimenting with all the features of the keyer. Get one. You'll not regret it.

DD4DA Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2006 05:46 Send this review to a friend
K-3 Keyer aka ETM9COG-X3  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have purchaised the ETM9COG-X3 Keyer here in Germany and was surprozed that the used keyer was the K-3 Keyer released by IDIOM Press. This just fits in a small ALU-Case. I work with them since 2003 and i never got a better keyer as this one. The Key i use is a Schurr Profi 2 and an old modified ETM5C where i bypassed the internal CMOS-Keyer. The handling is easier as the buildin keyer of the used rig as ICOM IC746pro or IC 706mk2g. I love the keyer. Only the cheap hombuild PIC- keyer from DH4YHF is similar in keying style.
vy 73 de Gerd DD4DA

VK2ICJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2005 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough about this keyer. Others have done it and I can't add more. But I can add that the Customer Service at logikey is also A++ . My keyer that I have owned for little more than a year would not work after a large move accross the world. I went from n9vkc to vk2icj in a single plane trip. I plugged my K3 into my TS-820 and all it did was key constantly. After several emails trying to sus the drama we eventually figured my eprom was bad. Bob sent me airmail a new chip (I'm in Australia remember) and told me to send him payment if that solved the problem. I received the chip several weeks later and installed it. It worked splendid. A++++ Customer Service.

Listen if you're looking for a keyer not only will you be buying the best keyer from Logikey but you will get Customer Service that is second to NONE PERIOD!!!

73 de vk2icj ..

Chris

K3GM Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2005 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 23 years of service, my Heathkit uMatic gave up the ghost. I loved that little box! It could do almost anything as far as spacing and weight was concerned. So when I decided to replace it with the K-3, I waited eagerly to get it in my hands to play with it, and to see what 20 years of technological advances went into it. Well I was a little dissapointed. Yes, it's a little easier to use than my Heathkit, but it can't do some of the things my 23 old keyer did. Two things that I've noticed immediately after only 1 week of ownership. It won't do Farnsworth, like 25wpm characters with 17wpm spacing; can't do it. Secondly, it can't send the prosign BK. It's limited to 6 elements. Anything over 6 and it truncates them. My uMatic keyer had a pseudorandom code practice built into it. It was great for practice and without a doubt, it helped me get my 20wpm back when it was a little harder to obtain Extra. ;) The K-3 does not. I expected more I guess. Still it's a very good keyer and is extremely easy to use. I look forward to working with it further.