Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical
Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical Reviews: 225 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $199.
Description: It's a dipole... It's a vertical... It fits in your travel bag!. The Buddipole™ is more than an antenna, it's a versatile system for launching your signal. Optimized for transmit power and proven for DX work, the Buddipole™ is the secret weapon used by HF portable operators all around the world. Precision engineered for maximum performance using ultra light composite materials and High-Q coils. Zero-loss balun with Quick-Connect feedpoint. This antenna can be used to cover any band from 40M to 2M

You can write your own review of the Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical.

KD6WKY Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2018 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Consistent Performer for over a Decade  Time owned: more than 12 months
I operated a County Expedition in Del Norte County, CA in 2017 for the California QSO Party out of the Quality Inn and Suites in Crescent City, CA. My trusty Buddipole was what I used for my 40m and 80m contacts during the weekend contest. It's easy to use and set up. You must have an antenna analyzer to tune the antenna. The antenna is light weight and must be guyed securely. If possible, try and buddy up with someone that uses a Buddipole one time so you can see how it works. It's a must for portable HF operations.
K1OYQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2018 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is perhaps the best portable antenna on the market. I have homebrewed these and used a commercial Buddipole antennas for over 15 years. I think I own at least one of everything Buddipole makes (in most cases more). I can make various antennas from 80 meters to 2 meters. I use them extensively on trips, in my backyard, for training purposes, demonstrations, special events, experimenting, and on field day type operations. The various configurations for this antenna are a real plus. You can make various types of dipoles, various verticals, inverted vees, NVIS, beams (yes beams), and more. I have experimented with every type of antenna you can imagine, which adds to my working knowledge of antenna theory and field performance. Some configurations are more work to tune than others, and your mileage may differ depending on your setup. What is best about this antenna is that you can make a workable antenna in just about any setting. If one configuration doesn't perform well try another. I use the whips and coils as well as wire in various combinations. Now, this is a portable antenna system, not a permanent installation system. It will not stand up to constant use in harsh conditions. Keep that in mind when making the choice to purchase this antenna. One main point is that if it topples over, something is going to break --- always, always,--- repeat, always guy it or support it so it can't fall over! The variations of this antenna are virtually limitless. You don't need a tuner because you can create tuned antennas with it (tuners can be a plus though). An antenna analyzer is more than useful when setting up a Buddipole in any configuration. I've tried other types of portable antennas such as magnetic loops, end-feds, double bazookas, OCF dipoles, etc., but I always come back to the Buddipole. If you like to experiment and enjoy portable operations then this is the antenna for you. Oh yes, It is also great for weekend use in HOA restricted areas.
KN7AT Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2017 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Works well -- but ---  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the buddipole Deluxe for about two years. It has been my main antenna, hidden behind some oleander bushes at the rear of my home in an HOA neighborhood. I've had good results with the antenna as long as I don't have to change bands. In the 2016 Field Day, working CW-Low Power on 20 meters, I was able to work the entire northern tier of states from WA to NY; not bad for a dipole at 12ft. My only complaint is the time it takes to change bands and adjust element lengths for lowest SWR. In my case 15 minutes is not untypical to get the job done; too much time for my liking.

Construction and materials is first rate. There's a very active users group to help with any questions or issues you may have. All in all, I recommend this antenna as long as quick band changes are not essential.
K7ER Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2017 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a good friend that has the full kit. Also my Son just bought one too. I feel that the build quality is awesome. It is not fair to have some old crotchety folks complaining about it. Some people are just animals and expect everything to withstand abuse. Like all products take care of them and they will last.. Have used one in different configurations it is amazing for what it is. Portability is great also fit and finish. This is a purfect setup for HOA, Apt or just hill topping.Being able to adjust the antenna from a dipole to a vertical in minutes is a plus..
Be nice all 73 de K7ER
DL4AC Rating: 1/5 Sep 11, 2016 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality; high price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works quite well but the cable, the little connectors and one coil are now defect. Price is much to high for this quality!
KG7QYJ Rating: 3/5 Jul 27, 2016 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Quality issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have what you would consider the full range of Buddipole products. The initial purchase process was ok, there were some serious issues with the folding mast requiring 2 replacements. One of the wing nut adjusters on the telescoping pole fell off. They replaced it. Now the bolts on the telescoping pole are rusting after a year or so of VERY light Arizona where we don't get much rain. The Red/Black connector cable doesn't hold up in the sun very well - fades and gets loose do the coil tap wires.

I can't imagine these products getting the kind of heavy use they portray in their promotional material and holding up. Otherwise they work well. I've made contacts in Europe and New Zealand with the simple dipole setup.

Kind of expensive for how they hold up.
KA2NCD Rating: 1/5 Jun 30, 2016 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality Bad Business Practice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I want to preface the following regarding the Buddipole products. The long telescoping whips sold separately if dropped accidentally fall apart at the bottom by the connector thread. Try getting a replacement and you’re out of luck. I've lost several and the remainder will stay in the case. The HF low band coils are made of thin plastic while the ends are glued together. These coils have been used for approximately one year only on weekends and in suitable go box weather. While setting up using the rigid shock whip and the HF low band coil I noticed the capped end (where the coil screws into the whip or the VersaTee) was loose. It appeared to me at a first glance that the coil end is snapped together. Unfortunately this wasn’t the case. The coil ends top and bottom are glued (poor design). I called Buddipole and explained the situation. I sent them a picture as requested and was accused of dropping the coil. However, they asked me to send the coil back for repair or replacement. As of this review the coil is still with the mold injector (over 2 weeks) with no response or customer follow up from Buddipole. I'm not sure I will be purchasing any other products from Buddipole especially with this poor customer service and attitude!
G0GBZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2016 11:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, Easy to use and carry..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After moving into a (temporary) ground floor apartment I was unable to have any outside antenna's, this led me into Portable working. I took my trusty 20 ft 4 section GRP telescopic mast and my home made wire for 40/80m. A bit of a bind to find a good site to erect it all and problems with space in my vehicle. The Buddipole system entered the equation, after much reading I took the plunge and purchased a Buddipole Deluxe kit, a TRSB balun, an 80m low band coil and the counterpoise kit. This counterpoise is without doubt one of the most important items to have and when used with my analyzer I get 1.2:1 swr in most set ups. Fantastic difference to setting up and space taken in the car. So far I have worked 40 and 80 m with excellent results in different locations, so much so that I bought another Deluxe package to set up in different configurations to evaluate one setup against the other (as well as a spares package in case of any field damage) The New multi-functional Versa Tee design is only what can be described as Superb, it allows so many configurations with Buddipole equipment and other systems, Wires, whips etc.. The TRSB switch is good and is easy to include in the set up, only downer is it is rated at 100 watts. Now retired I have decided to make the most of the Buddipole System so if you hear me on, give me a call...
73, Norm G0GBZ
KQ4YA Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2016 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Serves its purpose well  Time owned: more than 12 months
The advantages are these in my opinion:

Great support - both from the company and the Buddipole group on Yahoo. There's an old-fashioned feeling to the company because of the personal service. A lot of companies claim to offer great support - you would need to experience the support to understand just how good it is. You'll be impressed.

Excellent build quality - the system is well-engineered, sturdy and attractive.

Any of the undersized portable antenna systems I have used (including the Buddipole system) lag in performance compared to a full-sized wire antenna. I use the Buddipole when I don't have the time, inclination or the trees to put up a wire antenna while traveling. It's easy to assemble, easy to take down - often an important plus for quick stays in a cabin or rented home. And because it's over-engineered I don't have to worry whether it survived the trip.

The system easily rates a 5 when evaluated as a portable antenna system. I haven't used all the portable systems and can't say with any certainty that it's the best on-air performer of the group. But, to me, that's like trying to judge a dancing contest held among the clumsy. A wire dipole up high will beat any of these systems. They are special purpose antennas and, with that criteria, I feel comfortable recommending the Buddipole.
N6DMR Rating: 3/5 Jan 13, 2016 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Agree With KB0CMV   Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with Kieth, KB0CMV, I tried a lot of portable dipoles including the Buddipole and MP1 and found that my TWA-2010 outperforms them all with no fussing around with fussy tuning and such.

This may not be a detailed review of the Buddipole, but it does go to putting out there some very efficient and in my opinion superior alternatives.

With the TWA as a portable I am setup with no tuning in 5 minutes and making DX QSO's in no time. It does not break down to a small kit though and it does take a 12V source to power the tuning matchbox.

On light portable operations I bring in home built single band End Fed Dipoles, usually for 20m and 40m, both antennas fit in a pack with little space. A throw line to a convenient tree works and I have even packed a light 30ft telescoping pole that works well as a support.

For my home station (a 40' motor home) I use a HyEndFed multiband up as an inverted "L" between two 40ft telescoping masts. Have worked over 4000 miles on 5 watts with this antenna.

While the Buddipole is a well built kit and of course works for many, my experience is that an end fed wire works better in most conditions.