Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical
Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical Reviews: 208 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $199.
Description: It's a dipole... It's a vertical... It fits in your travel bag!. The Buddipole™ is more than an antenna, it's a versatile system for launching your signal. Optimized for transmit power and proven for DX work, the Buddipole™ is the secret weapon used by HF portable operators all around the world. Precision engineered for maximum performance using ultra light composite materials and High-Q coils. Zero-loss balun with Quick-Connect feedpoint. This antenna can be used to cover any band from 40M to 2M
More info: http://www.buddipole.com

You can write your own review of the Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical.

W5EXJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna System  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a Buddipole Deluxe Package (short) in August 2012. I travel some for work and started taking it and my FT-857D on these trips. I have set it up in hotels, out on balconies, etc., and it has worked very well. I took it on a sailing trip through the Stockholm Archipelago. After docking for the evening, I either set it up on the deck of the boat or on doc in a vertical configuration next to the saltwater. I made many contacts all over the world. Wherever I go I generally take my radio and the Buddipole.

The first week in December 2013 I was part of the St. Lucia/J6 Buddipole DXpedition. There were 7 of us in the group, including Budd and Chris. We had a fantastic time. In 8 days, using only Buddipole configurations of antennas, we made over 13,000 contacts. Fun was had by all and we are all meeting in Dayton this year to say hello. If you ever get an opportunity to do one, you should jump at it, it was so much fun and I learned a great deal and made life long memories and friendships. By the way, everyone pays their own way on these trips and the cost is a small fraction compared to the bigger DXpeditions.

Since buying my first Buddipole Deluxe package I have purchased the extra parts to build 2 element Yagi antennas. Last Saturday, April 26th, our radio club met for radio in the park and I set the Buddipole up as a 10 & 15 meter 2 element Yagi and made many DX contacts.

The Buddipole system is the erector set of antennas, it is high quality and a very reliable product. There is tons of documentation on how to configure this system for just about any antenna you can imagine. It is fun to use and setup, which is one of the great aspects of Amateur Radio. My hat is off to the team at Buddipole for creating such a fantastic antenna system. I’m holding up a 10 card, but unfortunately this site only allows for 5.

----

PS. I’d like to make a comment about the review made on March 29th from "AA2NH". The call sign used has been expired for over a year; so hope you are either not using your call sign or all the work that you seem to have done with the Buddipole system was done over a year ago as well. Also, I checked and there is no validity to the banana plugs/jack issue you mention and I’m not sure how one can break a VersaTee ... that's puzzling. I have never had an issue with mine.

AA2NH Rating: 1/5 Mar 29, 2014 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Incompatibility alert, and an opinion  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought it was just me, but another guy from Lakeside CA who is using a commercial Buddipole just discovered that Buddipole Antenna has gone from a 2.70 mm diameter mini banana plug to a 2.92 mm diameter banana plug. This change affects the Versatee, the coil clips, the banana plug leads (including leads for coaxial cable and the triple balun switch). So, my parts that don't actually work together are by design?!? Oh joy, what I bought is already obsolete. Why couldn't BP do what HiQ, Alpha Antenna, and even MFJ does, and use industry standard SO239 connectors? My plastic Versatee broke, and can't be bent back, it's plastic! Good thing they sell them as a part, oh wait, now I have to replace everything else...do they even sell the Versatee with the clip holes I need? Too many questions. If I cant fix it in a field emergency setting, then bye bye Buddipole. Time to reevaluate whether I'd bet my life on this antenna. Maybe I'll look at the EzMilitary Antenna or even a not so random 40 meter wire dipole that I can use on harmonic frequencies. Sorry I rambled, but wow; the more I thought about it, the more holes I keep finding in my own BP system...and someone had to say it. Anyone had to replace those Extremely light duty whips from BP yet? Yeah, I did with a "Mil-Stick whip". Just google that if you need a better and less expensive replacement whip than what BP makes available from oversees. And while I'm at it, does it bother anyone else that BP takes 7 or more people on extravagant vacations and puts proof of that on YouTube? I'm for making a good living, but just saying, maybe they're too big for their britches from making big profits when extravagant trips are shown off.

YV5OF Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna system   Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using Buddipole since 2008 practical and versatile with many possible configurations. Fully transportable and can operate in various weather conditions.

Pre and Post Sales Service very good, and excellent support.

NI5DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2014 06:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On March 18 I drove about 50 miles to Galveston Island, which is NA-143 for the IOTA program. The purpose of the trip was twofold. I wanted to give out as many contacts as I could for NA-143 and I wanted to test out my new Buddipole Deluxe Long antenna system. Along with the Buddipole, I used my IC-7000 at 100 watts and an IT-100 tuner. For power, I used my Honda EU2000i generator. All worked perfectly the entire time.
I decided to configure the Buddipole as a horizontal dipole at a height of 15 feet. I made my first contact on 20 meters at 1445z. I worked only 15 stations in 30 minutes on 20 so I decided to change to 12 meters. I made the first contact on 12 meters at 1530z and worked 78 stations in just over an hour. Of these, 60 were DX stations mostly from Europe. I took a break for lunch and then decided to try 10 meters. I started on 10 meters at 1557z. I spent the next 2 hours working on that band. Most of the 215 Qs were with European stations. I tried 20 meters again with no real success so I thought I might give 17 meters a try. The next 75 minutes were spent working 82 stations. The split between DX and stateside on 17 was about 50/50. I even managed to work one JA station during this run (2043z, which is 3:43 PM local time).
Operating only SSB, I wound up with 393 contacts in just under 5 1/2 hours of operating time. Of the total, 293 of the contacts were with DX stations. I was able to work 42 DX entities during my operation. I was very pleased with the many compliments I received on my signal. Many DX stations commented that my signal was an honest 59 and several times I received a plus 10-15 report from Europe. I must say that the Buddipole far exceeded my expectations and I look forward to my next island trip to try some different configurations with the antenna system.

W4FJT Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2014 13:25 Send this review to a friend
High quality build  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my favorite camping solution. The laws of physics haven't changed. Buddipole simply works within those parameters. Easy to set up/take down and have had many nice DX contacts.

The Buddipole components are of high quality construction and worth the extra dollars over the long run. The documentation they provide (for free) would be useful even if you homebrew one. But I like the fit and finish of the product and don't hesitate to recommend it.

KF7VWN Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2014 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just picked one of these up. I am currently living in Germany (callsign DA1MH). I set up with an Icom IC-7000 running on a small generator on the top floor of an empty 5-story parking garage just outside of Munich. Set it up for 15m, read about a 1.1 SWR and within 2 mins after powering up made my first contact to Tim, K3LR, in Pittsburgh, PA and he gave me a 5/9. Absolutely fantastic product!!! Got a bit of RF noise (RX only) off the cheap generator but I will try to solve that with a ferrite choke clamp on the AC cord. A lot of people seem to complain about the manual changes needed to switch bands, but for portable ops this is an acceptable trade-off IMO. Sometimes a little trial and error is necessary; on 17 I found that 5 lengths on the black side instead of the 5.3 recommended in the pamphlet got me a nearly flat SWR. 5.3 had me at about 3.5. Patience is the key. Strongly recommended.

W8NLZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2014 17:58 Send this review to a friend
A good system on which to build  Time owned: more than 12 months
After several years of trial & usage, I almost exclusively use the Buddipole as a center-loaded vertical whip with 2 tuned radials.

Antenna Truism #1: The more wire you have out there, the better the "coupling" or radiation resistance with the world beyond. Thus, a short whip is not going to take the place of a 66' dipole on 40M. So if you use a vertical, you want to make it as long (tall) as possible.

Antenna Truism #2: With a dipole or Inverted Vee, unless you can get the wire at least a 1/4 wavelength above ground, most of your propogation will be NVIS (cloud warming). So, in the field there is room for compromise, particularly if you want to try for DX.

Enter the Buddipole Vertical. Often, there are no high tree branches around to string a wire. Here, the vertical - with no height constraints - can and does fill the bill.

Advantages of the vertical configuration include: no need for really tall supports or overhead tree branches; can be located close to the transceiver minimizing transmission line losses; quick to set up; lower angle of radiation for DX; easy to locate on the edge of a lake, river, or ocean for good propagation.

My configuration of choice: a 4' mast supporting the Buddipole Hub; thence two 22" extender tubes; thence the coil; all topped off with a 9' whip. 13' of radiating conductor. I use two pre-tuned radials connected to the Hub which go out to 3' garden stakes (an eleastic bands keeps them taut). To change bands, I change radials and move the tap on the coil. I also use the TRB balun in the 1:2 position to bring the feedpoint impedance up closer to 50 ohms. I never have to tune this rig in the field, the minor SWR imbalances being corrected by the ATU in the transceiver.

Results are pretty good. Operating QRP, I routinely work the USA, Caribbean, and Western Europe. Admittedly, 20M gives better DX, but 40M gives good rag chewing within the Eastern US. The rig is somewhat directional favoring the orientation of the radials.

As mentioned, Buddipole stuff is high quality and things work reliablly ... something really appreciated after you have hiked in with all this stuff on your back!

Several folks have mentioned the need to guy a tall antenna. That is true if you are using a tripod base. I usually look for a fence pole or pound my own 4' garden stake and use bungees to wrap my mast solidly to the support.

K5DHL Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2013 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Having a lot of fun with this antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just rec'd the mini version with the 8' mast. It wook me a little while to get 40m tuned in. I can get under 1.5 using a 1/4" whip length change for 2 settings to cover the lower & upper end of the band. But I plan to raise the antenna up another 4+ feet to see if one whip setting will cover the entire band at under 1.5.... The 20m band setup was quick and easy. From Oklahoma I made two contacts to KS & TX on a rather poor 40M band conditions. I am pretty happy with this little antenna & planning to take on vacation this November & Dec (of 2013). I am driving this antenna with new a FT-857D.

W9RRR Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2013 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Exceptionally Versatile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I didn't buy the package but rather picked up pieces ala-carte. I wanted the low band coils for better 40/80 performance, long whips, etc. etc.

After getting everything together and playing with it, I am impressed as can be by the quality and the performance. Excellent construction. Excellent engineering. You get what you pay for and while this is not the cheapest antenna you can put together, it is an excellent value.

AK4NX Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2013 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Mini-buddipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had this antenna for about a month now and am totally satisfied with it's performance and the quality of the associated parts. No junk here and it works so well with my Yaesu FT-817ND. Purchased as extras the rotating arm kit, VersaTee, and extra color clips. The ease of set up and I use the SWR meter in the radio so I didn't need a 259B to tune. The antenna coils are well consrtucted and color codes are right on for top performance. I set this up in my back yard on an MFJ-1919 stand that I had 8 feet off the ground tuned for 20 meters and all went well using the Buddipole VersaTee and U-Bolts that were easily purchased at my local ACE Hardware. Four voice contacts in about 20 minutes of effort for a first time setup. I from Central Florida and they from PA(2),AL(1), LA(1). Follow the instruction sheet with color code and you will have no problems. Way to go Buddipole!!!