Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical
Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical Reviews: 209 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $199.
Description: It's a dipole... It's a vertical... It fits in your travel bag!. The Buddipole™ is more than an antenna, it's a versatile system for launching your signal. Optimized for transmit power and proven for DX work, the Buddipole™ is the secret weapon used by HF portable operators all around the world. Precision engineered for maximum performance using ultra light composite materials and High-Q coils. Zero-loss balun with Quick-Connect feedpoint. This antenna can be used to cover any band from 40M to 2M
More info: http://www.buddipole.com

You can write your own review of the Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical.

AK4NX Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2013 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Mini-buddipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had this antenna for about a month now and am totally satisfied with it's performance and the quality of the associated parts. No junk here and it works so well with my Yaesu FT-817ND. Purchased as extras the rotating arm kit, VersaTee, and extra color clips. The ease of set up and I use the SWR meter in the radio so I didn't need a 259B to tune. The antenna coils are well consrtucted and color codes are right on for top performance. I set this up in my back yard on an MFJ-1919 stand that I had 8 feet off the ground tuned for 20 meters and all went well using the Buddipole VersaTee and U-Bolts that were easily purchased at my local ACE Hardware. Four voice contacts in about 20 minutes of effort for a first time setup. I from Central Florida and they from PA(2),AL(1), LA(1). Follow the instruction sheet with color code and you will have no problems. Way to go Buddipole!!!

N5TSG Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2013 22:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable / Emergency Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I want to first say that this antenna has a little bit of a learning curve, this antenna is a Swiss Army Knife in your arsenal. I'd suggest that new users join the BUG yahoo group and download all the files and read them. I would also suggest that while this is an antenna that can be tuned for exact frequency that you consider running a tuner. It makes setup a snap, I can literally have my station up in 20 minutes.

I've owned my Buddipole for over 5 years now. I'm still impressed with its quality (95% American made) and ease of functionality. You simply will not find a better made product out there, nor will you find better support from a manufacturer/distributor than these guys. They know their product and they stand behind it. I can't tell you how many times I've been at Hamcom or Dayton at the booth and had someone come up and have an issue with the antenna by the time they leave Chris or Steve (ol Goat) will have them fixed up. Its usually something simple. I've also witnessed Chris taking care of out of warranty issues and just plain abuse of the antenna system without any issue. No one does that anymore! He's a stand-up kind of guy who uses and believes in his product.

If your on the fence about a good solid portable antenna look no further. This antenna is capable of multiple configurations and comes with excellent support from the manufacturer and other hams ... you can't go wrong with a Buddipole.

KE7UFP Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna System  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started with a Buddistick several years ago and have since built up a portable system that is a truly all band portable kit. It has functioned very well in some very difficult operating environments. It has been used on beaches, in parks, on mountains and in high desert. The only two times we had trouble was at a friend’s townhouse, and once during the WA State Salmon Run. The Salmon Run issue was on an 80 M Vertical that turned out to be a bad coax. We never got the BP to operate at the townhouse no matter what we tried.
I have seen some reviews that state that the system is unusable or poor performance. I would suggest trying the system in another area and take your time. Tuning has been difficult at times requiring us to touch up it up as the weather conditions change and the band conditions change.
But we have always been able to get an acceptable SWR, sometimes requiring a tuner. Not often.
It takes some work and patience to be proficient with the system, but well worth the effort.

W7SAG Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love operating portable and have used many varieties of antenna. I have used both the Buddipole and the Buddistick configurations and have had excellent results. When I first received the Buddipole, I had a difficult time getting it to tune up properly. After some frustration, I decided to check the continuity of the various components and found that I had a defective Versatee. After a call to JD at BP, I got a replacement Versatee and all is well. The service you get from BP is excellent and the product is well constructed, very high quality and works well. I alternate between the Buddipole and the Buddistick depending on what terrain I have to work with and what I want to carry. Few things in ham radio are as fun for me as working Japan on SSB from a portable location with 5 watts using my KX3 and the Buddipole. Read and follow the "Buddipole in the Field" book and you will enjoy these antennas.
John
W7SAG

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2013 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Perfection in a Portable Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me begin by saying, (with no disrespect to previous posters) that the Buddipole is NOT for those wishing a plug and play antenna. It takes skill, an antenna analyzer, and a bit of experience to get really excellent performance from the Buddipole system.

Having said that, if you are looking for an antenna that can be carried in a bag, one that can be setup in an almost endless array of configurations, you can find none better.

True, it can be tuned without the analyzer (by ear), but I only do that with configurations I have previously gotten resonant with the analyzer. I can then re-create that configuration and tune it quickly by ear. It takes a bit of patience to utilize the Buddipole correctly. Once mastered, it is a stellar antenna system. Don't buy one thinking you can just connect parts together and get the performance you want. That performance comes with experience. Be patient.

I built and used a home brew "buddipole" from Bud's plans many years ago, so I had a large base of experience with the basic antenna. However, the Buddipole as sold today is worlds more polished than anything I could make at home. It is not inexpensive but, at least in my opinion, it is worth the expense. I simply cannot accomplish the vast array of configurations and band coverage with anything else. From 2 meters all the way down to 160 meters, (yes, you can create a full-sized 160m dipole if you add your own wire) it is a portable antenna builders dream.

I have tried other products and truthfully they will work also. I have found none to match the Buddipole for quality and engineering excellence.

Properly resonated, the Buddipole will amaze you at how well it works. It isn't a $5,000 beam/tower system, but it will work on top of a 10,000 foot mountain and can be easily carried by one person. Set up in the front yard or on a camping trip it delivers contacts around the world - even with very low power input.

My hat is off to the Buddipole team for a great product.

F4FXH Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Very good for portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a wonderfull antenna for portable operations.

I always bring it with me for portable operations (holidays, radio amateur day, exhibitions,...).
I used it on all bands from 40m to 2m.
It is very easy to tune the antenna with an antenna analyzer (I prefer to do that instead of tuning it with ears).
It always get a good impedance at resonance point (small values for reactive parts of the impedance, sometimes none).
The antenna can be used with an internal rig's tuner on the whole bands when correctly tuned).
You can try dipole, vertical, L configuration, V configuration, J configuration, short whips, long whips,...
Easy to transport, installed and tuned in less than 10 minutes.
Of course you can brew it yourself but it is very difficult to reach the same quality and the professionnal finish of the product.

I always get good reports even barefoot (100 W) and made very long distance QSOs: from France, Indonesia and Brazil.

3 OM friends of mine adopted it.

Good job budditeam.

Nicolas

K1OYQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2013 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna System  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with a homebrew version and liked it so much I bought the full monte. Over the past ten years I have purchased everything that Budd makes. I have used them on Field Day and trips with great success. Yes they take a little tweaking but there is a configuration for vertually every band. You have to know what your doing and you have to understand antenna basics to get the most out of the system. I've worked countries all over the world with the Buddipole system. It is also my goto antenna system for emergency communication and works great for this application. I can build beams, verticals, NVIS dipoles, OCF dipoles, slopers, end fed, dipoles, and directional beams using all the components I have. To me the fun is in setting up an antenna, tuning it for the conditions at hand, and working the DX. Those who give it a low rating may not understand antenna basics very well and have unreasonable expectations. BTW, Budd and Chris and company provide some of the best service in the industry. Thanks for a great antenna system Budd.

WX9DX Rating: 3/5 Jan 28, 2013 17:47 Send this review to a friend
An Ok antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Setting it up takes time to do it right!
Using it is a compromise with the sticks and coils. On 6 meters it will out preform a Halo antenna from M2... It works ok on all
the HF bands except 75 meters and there It is
next to a dummy load. It is fair on RX, but the
Counterpoise wire works best if you use it for
the antenna and run a second wire for the
Counterpoise groundside on 80 meters. I started
keeping a second counterpoise wire with me
and using the antenna as a dipole using both
Counterpoise wires and not using the sticks at all. Works better and is more efficient. The stand and vertical support is great and well made. If I use the sticks and Buddi coils, I find that if I make a shunt coil and run it between the connections of each side I can get a
better match, like a shunt coil on a Screwdriver antenna.

Everything is well made and is a great way to get into portable operation. But I believe that using the antenna tripod stand,vertical mast, center connector and guy ropes, as the middle of a portable wire dipole works best. But there are times I still use the kit as is to demonstrate it to Clubs, Boy Scouts etc! Thanks Bud for a great kit.

E29BUQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2013 00:31 Send this review to a friend
Great!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the first time, I contacted Guam 579 CW Mode (frq 15 M)by 20 W abt 3 M fm my truck.

I recommend for anybody fine out portable ant, this is great es join ur vacation.

VK5CZ Rating: 1/5 Jan 19, 2013 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Not as quick as end fed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found this antenna a time waster ,by the time its tuned up its time to go home. I ended up giving mine away could not take money for it. The only time I really was successful getting it resonate on 40m nobody could hear my signal very well. The mounting bracket claiming the multi mounting positions, failed I am afraid. Sorry I am an end fed convert now .
de Ian vk5cz ..