Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical
Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical Reviews: 209 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $199.
Description: It's a dipole... It's a vertical... It fits in your travel bag!. The Buddipole™ is more than an antenna, it's a versatile system for launching your signal. Optimized for transmit power and proven for DX work, the Buddipole™ is the secret weapon used by HF portable operators all around the world. Precision engineered for maximum performance using ultra light composite materials and High-Q coils. Zero-loss balun with Quick-Connect feedpoint. This antenna can be used to cover any band from 40M to 2M
More info: http://www.buddipole.com

You can write your own review of the Buddipole Portable Dipole/Vertical.

KC7ZWG Rating: 1/5 Jan 17, 2013 20:19 Send this review to a friend
not user friendly  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Decided to try it after seeing how popular these things are, wish I had not.

Really does not tune very well on 40m at all, when changing bands can be tricky to get it right where it needs to be for effeciency.

When I called they told me that I needed to buy additional parts if I really wanted to have fun, so I did, now I have over $400 invested still not performing at the level of all the hype.

Called again and they advised I get an analyzer for another $200-$300..lol...really?

To sum it all up I ended up with a really neat bag of "stuff" for big $$$ that sits in my closet, my conciense will not allow me to sell it, so it is a total waste.

If you like to fiddle with taps, meters and ajustments all the time than this is the "antenna" for you, but don't expect superior performance!

For less than half as much of my hard earned money I now have a system that I actually enjoy making contacts with.

KC2TKD Rating: 3/5 Jan 17, 2013 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Very marginal performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the Buddipole for 4 years. It can be a decent antenna but is very difficult to tune. Yes, I have followed the directions and use and MFJ259 analyzer when setting the Buddipole up. I have found that the antenna is very sensitive to its surroundings. I can tune the antenna to 2:1 SWR or less and the minute I raise the antenna the settings change. Then down it comes and start to adjust from there. I have the 16'mast. The antenna is easy to transport and takes up little room but just does not live up to its reputation. Mine sits at home most of the time.

KE2SX Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2013 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product  Time owned: more than 12 months
This product is versatile, well made, and the documentation is clear and accurate. I shouldn't have waited so long to use it. From my Soap Box comments for the 2013 ARRL RTTY Roundup:

Been at the new QTH for 6 months now with no shack. Set up my Buddipole Deluxe (first time used in 7 years of ownership) on the back lawn and put the IC-7600 on the kitchen table. Worked 78 stations and 37 multipliers including 12 DX in casual operating with between 25 and 60 watts and a short dipole that was 16' AGL. All I can say is, the Buddipole works! And I had a blast.

Highly recommended for portable, emergency, or temporary ops. Be sure to guy it when using the tall mast.

KD6WKY Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2012 22:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable HF Antenna System  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my Buddipole system for several years for both Field Day and the California QSO Party when I operate a County Expedition. I've found that this antenna system offers great reliable service in a kit that fits in a bag.

Taking time to learn how to use it makes all the difference. I highly recommend using a good antenna analyzer when setting up the Buddipole to speed the tuning of the antenna along.

This year I added the low band 80m coil with the 66' counterpoise kit. I had no difficulty setting it up or tuning it. Having never used it before I was able to set it up, adjust it, and get on the air, in the dark, in 15 minutes. This vertical antenna configuration using only 100 watts achieved excellent results across North America late in the evening.

Always guy the mast. Always guy the mast. Always guy the mast. If the antenna tips over, you will break a whip. This set up is well designed but it is light weight so respect it.

If you are able to set up the Buddipole with some elevation, all the better. I have used it on flat land and done well with it.

Spend the money, learn the system. You will be satisfied with the results.

KC4RSN Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2012 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Buddipole for weak signal work, WSPR   Time owned: more than 12 months
Recently started operating WSPR, Weak Signal Propagation Reporter, using my base inverted L antenna. Thought I would give the buddipole a try and set it up on the back deck as a vertical on 20 mtrs., one elevated radial and WOW!!, amazing reception!! Hearing and being heard in Europe with no problem! Going to Florida right after Christmas, will set up portable operation on WSPR down there and add a few radials, can't wait to see how it performs. A great portable antenna, TNX Budd.

KD6WKY Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2012 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Works Great, Easy to Set-Up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used my Buddipole for several years as a portable HF antenna on Field Day and in the California QSO Party with great success. The system is easy to understand and set up.

In the 2012 CQP is used my BP on 15m, 40m, and 80m. On 15m and 40m I used the 9.5' whips for greater band width and less coil load as explained in the manual. It worked fine.

After dark I set up for 80m using the low band coil and counterpoise for the first time. I had to make two adjustments to the coil tap then achieved a 1.3:1 SWR with about a 70 KHz bandwidth at 2:1 SWR. Since I was using a run frequency I dialed up a quiet place and sent TEST de K6Y. I got a pile up going almost immediately with stations from as closed as 30 miles to stations across the country on the east coast. I was using 100w power.

I recommend BP for anyone wishing to work HF portable. It's quick to set up and get on the air, light weight enough to put in a carry bag, and strong enough to stay up in the wind with proper guying.

I'd buy it again. No regrets.

N6AZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2012 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for about 2 years and it is great. Very easy to tune and set up.

W1TXT Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2012 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't add much here except that I've been very impressed with the design, materials and craftsmanship that have gone into the Buddipole.

Sitting in my backyard with a KX3 by my side and working Ireland on 5 watts with an solid S7...it doesn't get much better than that!

W1TXT

W5QC Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2012 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this antenna a month ago and set it up in the back yard, tuning was very simple and directions was very easy to follow, made several contacts on ssb 20 mtrs, recently got a palm mini paddle and have worked numorous cw qrp contacts with my 817 yaesu. I let the wind blow it over and broke a whip and ordered a replacement tho it had a spare with the antenna, recieved the replacement in less then a week. If you want a portable antenna to travel or take on the trail this is it, you are on the air in less then 10 minutes.

K7RFW Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2012 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Still good after 5 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a review back on Aug 2, 2007. This is an update. I still have troubles setting up as an OCF antenna, but with the TRSB I have only a few issues and using an analyzer makes it a breeze. I now have extra arms, long whips, mostly have used 6 meter L, dipole, and 2 element yagi, 2 meter Jpole and L, various modes on HF, and even a 70 cm Jpole with an old cellphone whip.

My favorite HF setups are the Low V, the vertical with one 'radial' (really an "L" antenna), and sometimes the 'sideways Z' vertical.

Yes, I broke some whips, my fault for not paying attention to physics but I still have three of the original four long whips I got in late 2007, so they do last - if you are careful and do not treat them like MIL-SPEC grunt proof items.

I have helped teach several folks how to use the system, but I know of at least one person (very knowledgeable and a super elmer) who tried it a couple of times, and said (still says) it does not work, even though I was working Europe, the South Pacific, and South America back in 2008 and 2009.

As noted before, this is NOT a substitute for a real antenna, it is a portable, semi stealthy, multi-frequency/band, light weight, multi-configuration, compromise system which requires some care and patience, unlike a long hunk of wire strung between some tall trees or a tower. You do not need a tuner, although correctly used a tuner can make life easier for some operations.

I still rate it a five for its class, I still use it, it is still repeatable within 2:1 or better in almost every place I have been, and I hope to be at the 2012 Hamvention to get more components for experimenting.

Oh, and for those who want 1:1, sometimes 1.X:1 is better, it seems that you can get a broader 2:1 bandwidth at times with a bit of SWR at all frequencies.