Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-22U / IC-24E Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-22U / IC-24E
Icom IC-22U / IC-24E Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $269.00
Description: 10W 2 meter FM analog mobile transceiver

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-22U / IC-24E.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2002 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Rock solid, intermod free operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Icom IC-22U (USA) or IC-24E (Europe) was the last of the analog 2m FM rigs from Icom. It was kept in the line into the late 1980s, long after many digital models came and went. ACC recommended them for 2m remote base operation with their controllers, and as a result these old 2m rigs are still in demand and often have a resale value well in excess of newer models.

The IC-22U and IC-24E were built like little tanks. The receiver featured five helical resonators in the front end and covered just the 2m ham band. The result was that these rigs were virtually intermod proof compared to newer rigs. The push buttons for each digit plus the 5kHz offset switch allowed for coverage of every possible FM channel in the band, which was a big improvement over the earlier IC-22S and IC-22A, which were diode matrix and crystal controlled, respectively.

An optional wired remote unit, essentially a second head for the rig, was available for tight mounting situations. I used to have one, and would love to find one again.

Of course, by today's standards, this is a totally spartan rig: no memories, no scanning, no bells and whistles at all. Output is 10W high, 1W low. There was no allowance for PL, but you can easily add an internal board or an external multi-frequency box through the accessory port on the back of the rig.

I realize most hams today would consider a rig like this unacceptable. I'd say it's receiver performance makes it more desirable than many modern 2m toys. I've had several over the years, and currently have an absolutely mint IC-24E modified to cover the whole U.S. 2m band. I'd love to find another IC-22U with the remote to put in my car again, and eventually I'm sure I will.

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2002 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for its time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Seeing a review on this radio really brought back memories. Those were the days, when ten watts and thumbwheel frequency selection made you the king of the band! I had no problems and the radio sounded great on transmit and recieve. They seem to be somewhat rare, and I can't remember when I've seen one for sale. Of course, by today's standards, it doesn't offer much. Still, a good rig for its day.

ZL2UFI Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2002 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Great rig - hard to find now!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I first came across one of these rigs, IC-22U when I first started out in Amateur Radio. At the time I had just brought a new IC-2A, so when I saw the IC-22U with the similar thumb wheel type arrangement for frequency selection I decided to purchase it. At the time, I used it mobile for what was then (late 1980's) a few 2 metre repeaters around. I always got good reports on audio, and it hit any repeater I could hear (in Wellington New Zealand). There where no memories (same as an the IC-2A), but was great to use. I have never seen another one, I sold mine later to get a new IC-290H for all mode 2 metre work. Wished I'd kept it now of course, but needed the dollars at the time for the all mode rig. I think is was really the later brother to the old IC-22S, which was a 22 channel diode type rig. If you can find one, it would greatly add to a collection of early ICOM 2M rigs.