Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | Geochron Help

Reviews Summary for Geochron
Geochron Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$1000
Description: Geochron World Tome Map
More info: http://www.geochronusa.com/

You can write your own review of the Geochron.

W9AC Rating: 2/5 Oct 9, 2014 13:14 Send this review to a friend
New Models Generate RFI  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When purchasing new models, or refurbishing an older model, be aware that Geochron is now using a switch-mode florescent supply. The supply generates RFI in the AM broadcast and 160m bands.

Earlier this year, I purchased a Geochron that had been damaged by its owner during initial set-up. I sent it back to Geochron and while they were replacing gears, they "upgraded" the light supply. Until I dig deeper into this, the light must remain off when listening on these bands.

Paul, W9AC

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Very reliable.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Geochron in 1994 and I have not experienced any issues, to date. You couldn't find a more useful light for your radio hobby, presenting the world on the wall depicting night, day and time zones. Listening to DX while viewing the warm glow of the lighted map gives one a geography lesson while playing radio... it's mesmerizing.

KC6ZWH Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2011 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Quality is down  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had it since December 2010. It just up and died. Somebody at the factory forgot to tighten something. Lost the box it came in. Dont do that. They will charge you for a box $40.00 ouch
and after spending $1500.00 for the clock i thought I could expect better then that. I am sending it off tomorrow in my own packaging and we will keep poseted what happens after that.
If it did not break I would give it a 5

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2007 10:03 Send this review to a friend
The Gold Standard of World Time  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have long admired Geochron clocks, and as a former aide to Ronald Reagan, noted one in his
possession. He and many other business, entertainment and government officials used Geochrons as gifts to heads of state, etc.
Geochron personifys the best in American engineering and reliability. It may be a digital world, but quality analog timepieces, like grandfather clocks, are priceless heirlooms.

I bought it for the ham shack, but it has found a place of honor in the living room and never fails to elicit complements and comments from visitors, ham and non ham alike.

Forget the $40 plastic 'atomic clocks' and invest in a genuine piece of art if you can find the means to do so. It is a gift that will truly last a lifetime.

I got mine through HRO in Oakland. The price was significantly lower than list, or through other
retail outlets. I decided to pick mine up at the factory south of San Francisco, and got a very pleasant reception and factory tour as an added bonus. From the positive attitude of the Geochron staff and management, I can bet that after market service is likewise outstanding.

K6HT Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2005 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Geochron clock back in the 80's with the optional oak stand and was very happy with it. When I quit ham radio in the 90's I have to relocate the geochron to my living room and got a lot of compliments about it. Now I'm back hammin' again and the reason I'm writting this review is, it has never failed in its daily operation, still keeps the right time and construction was excellent that why it's still like brand new. The only thing I replaced were the 2 light bulbs that can be bought at home depot. Up to now the YL won't let me move it back to my radio room. Excellent product after all these years and maintenance free.

N6PSE Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2005 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Great Shack Accessory!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the Geochron software for a few years. It is very good, but not the same as the real Georchron. My family got me a new Georchron standard model for Father's day. Hey-what a great gift for the dad that has almost everything!

It is a beautiful addition to the shack. It replaced five analog clocks that were on the wall. They never kept the same time and were less than ideal. The Geochron is superb in every way. What a great map/grey line and time zone clock. I am very happy with my geochron standard addition.

K0WV Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2003 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Stunning shack addition  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Geochron Executive model clock for 2 years now. It is the neatest thing. The quiet synchronous motors keep exacting time. It stays within 20 seconds +/- of my atomic clock. Kind of spendy, but makes any ham shack look more like a board room. There is software out there that will do the same thing essentially...but by no means is the same. Run out of things to buy for the shack? Want an unusual conversation piece? This is the ticket.

WA3KTZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2002 11:29 Send this review to a friend
The software version is terrific  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the software version of the geochron world clock. First, it only cost $50, but more importantly, the software version does things that the $1100 wall version could only dream of doing. You can select up to 7 or 8 different types of maps (or rotate them on your screen) with internet downloads of land temperature, cloud cover, ocean temp, etc. This software is cool!

You can select cities all over the world to keep track of time, and on and on.

I recently gave a talk using my laptop to a local QCWA chapter, and my world clock software (as screen saver) was a bigger hit than the talk!

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2002 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Geochron  Time owned: more than 12 months
No transistors, no CPU, just a synchronous motor, a coupe of lamps, moving shades and a world map. This is a classy device that tells time any place in the world while providing a nice map to look at. The map, which is an endless mylar loop, moves relative to a simulation of the sun on the globe, during the summer the light is projected in a U shape, winter an inverted U, the picture of my unit was shot during equinox so the lines are more or less vertical. Great for gray line propagation. Itís not cheap though and there are several share-ware computer programs that do the same thing. Sure looks classy though!

Iíve had it running for five years now and not had a single bit of trouble with it.