Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB7-3 High Performance TriBander Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB7-3 High Performance TriBander
OptiBeam OB7-3 High Performance TriBander Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $795
Description: German designed high performance multi band 20/15/10m Yagi with patented efficient feed system. Computer optimized and field tested yagi without traps and with full size elements on all bands. It has 2 elements on 20, 2 on 15, and 3 on 10 meters all on a 14 foot boom. Mechanically this antenna is a beauty. Get a better beam for your money, check it out!
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB7-3 High Performance TriBander.

W6PDC Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2007 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Small Tribander  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the first rotatable HF antenna installed at my new QTH. Its mounted at ~32 ft., on a 9' Glen Martin roof Tower, turned by a Ham-IV, using a thick-wall Al. mast from Texas Towers. Jay was easy & great to deal with, and I appreciated the "green" packaging of newspaper & shredded paper- no plastic or stryofoam.

Was quite impressed, as expected, by the mechanical construction (previous Cushcraft, Hy-Gain & KLM/M2 beam building/operating background). Even a few extra hose clamps were incluced- no trips to the hardware store for any missing pieces! Went together in only a few hours, with my ~80 year old dad, KD6QDA, helping out. Glad to not contend with rivets! Light enough for one-man lifting/handling. Felt it was in the same league as a 2 el. SteppIR (want to use with multiple rigs, adverse to moving parts in air, firmware updates, yet more lines to lightning protect, $$, etc.), or small Force12 (concerned re. availabilty & customer support).

I specifically was looking for a no trap (based on prior usage of a TH-2, A-3 & KT-34A), "multi-monobander" tri-bander (no interest in WARC bands- main interest is HF SSB contesting, this will end up being the S & P 2nd antenna when I go fully SO2R), and feel this fit the bill.

This past weekend, the SSB Sprints, was the first time since the antenna's been up, that the bands were in halfway decent shape, and I sure enjoyed everyone coming back to my first call (barefoot). As expected, a clear difference compared to low dipoles, or a 4BTV (ground mounted w/30 radials) that are my other current options.

A great choice for those requiring roof tower mounting, or to use, while saving for a 55' or 70' crank-up, with an OB12-4...

IW1RAX Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2005 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently installed the OB7-3 antenna from Optibeam. Tom (Optibeam's Owner)is a person much available one, a lot competent, it has known to advise to me well.
The antenna, is a "little" big antenna. No traps, optimal construction, optimal material. I have installed also the balun, and I mounted at 12 meters the antenna on my tower. In little days I have connected with optimal reports (5/9+), Asia, America, Africa, without amplifier.
If anyone have any questions, please donīt hesitate to send me an E-mail.
73, Andreino

DJ3IW Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2004 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Very good beam for its size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the OB7-3 since December 2001 - it is a great antenna. No traps, no balun, it will take your full power and radiate it. On the air it performs noticably better than the average 3-ele tribander with traps. I worked P5, VP6DI and other such goodies with it. I can fully recommend this antenna to hams that do not want or for whatever reasons cannot install a bigger one.

EA3BQQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2002 08:25 Send this review to a friend
excellent hf antenna !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This excellent hf antenna is now 23 meter up on a tower on my second house.I have had previosly two good antenas:first the th6dxx a very good beam,for over elf years,then a klm kt34 4 element beam,with this klm i have had many troubles (mechanical troubles)and the last strong wind had lost half reflector... (sorry,I was not happy with this antenna).
Now, I had search "a long live" antenna, and I was impressed with many mecanical solutions, and the results are extremely good, on the three bands and specialy on the 10 meter band. Congratulations for the manufacturer team!
Best 73,s
Antoni F.Forn Valls (Barcelona -Spain-)