Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Bencher Skyhawk Help

Reviews Summary for Bencher Skyhawk
Bencher Skyhawk Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1295
Description: High-performance trapless triband yagi with redesigned feed system: to avoid patent litigation, the Skyhawk feed system was redesigned, which actually improved VSWR performance of the antenna. The redesigned antennas will begin shipping in early August, 2000.
More info: http://www.bencher.com/ham/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=11

You can write your own review of the Bencher Skyhawk.

N7RC Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2008 09:06 Send this review to a friend
This antenna is what I needed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have experienced extreem winds twice in these past two months - gust to 70 mph. The driven element spacers were pushed a bit out of alignment - so brought it down to straighten them out and to do an over-all mechanical check. No problem putting the spacers right - and determined that all the rivets and connections had survived very well. Did need to clean the bird stuff off the boom.
The reason this antenna was chosen in the first place is that one had survived a hurricane in the Caribbean without damage while other antennas were trashed.
This antenna also allows my 100 watts to be heard - not loud - but am heard in the pile-ups.
Highly recommended.

KB7UB Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2007 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have probably assembled between 60 and 70 antennas in the past 30 years and the Bencher Skyhawk has to be Number One in ease of assembly. The antenna was by far the cleanest antenna I have ever put together, no wiping off cutting oil, no pulling of cleaning cloths thru the elements trying to remove the burrs. As for performance I cant say enough, The antenna lends a lot of credibility to the statement "if I can hear em, I can work em" I wont go over what has already been said about the antennas construction except to add, its bullet proof, It just plays and plays well. I have recommended it to everybody that has asked for my advice on what Tri-Bander to buy. I have used antennas dating back before the ATB-34 including the original Mini Quad, plus several of the Wilson Mono Banders, The A-3 & A-4 by Cushcraft, as well as the the X-7. Several of the Force 12 multi banders including a C4E-XL, and nothing compares to the SKYHAWK, The only thing I have to say, is before you buy your next Tri Band Beam, take all the data and lay it out side by side. You end up with one Option the Bencher Skyhawk

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2004 15:44 Send this review to a friend
SKULL CRUSH-ERR  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great Yagi this one,Only used on RX & works a real treat.Very well made a little tricky to asssemble but when its up its up.SWR reading are fine even in the rain & noise levels are very low.Very happy with this beam & recommended as a top class piece of kit not the cheapest beam in its class but by far the best.

I1VDM Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2003 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Like a monoband  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very easy to assemble, good materials. About performance? Simply great. SWR flat and near 1:1 on 10, 15, 20, higher on warc but can be managed with a good tuner.
I was not used to get 9+ signals from US and VK with as little as 100 watts.

K8MN Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2000 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Monoband performance at a tribander price  Time owned: unknown months
I had noted ads for the Skyhawk for some months before seeing the demo model at the W9DXCC meeting in Chicago in September 1999. Bob Locher W9KNI pointed out numerous
features and readily answered my questions. I was delighted to find that the antenna has no traps and uses full sized elements. The attention to ease of mounting the antenna to the boom is the kind of extra attention to detail which appeals to me. I ordered the antenna the following Monday from R&L Electronics. It arrived only three days after my order was placed, having been drop-shipped direct from the factory.

K8LEE, WA8JOC and I assembled the antenna in just a few hours. The stainless steel pop rivets make putting the Skyhawk together a snap. Potential buyers should be aware that they need to make an investment in a pop rivet gun. I got a good one for only $14.

The designers, K3LR and WA3FET are to be commended!

N3RA Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 1999 12:57 Send this review to a friend
A Great Antenna!  Time owned: unknown months
This is one great antenna. From the electrical to mechanical design, I have been happy. Easy to put together and it works like a champ. Just bought a new house and will be stcking a couple of these. Highly recommended.