Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB6/3M High Performance Tribander Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB6/3M High Performance Tribander
OptiBeam OB6/3M High Performance Tribander Reviews: 22 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $780
Description: German designed high performance multi band 20/15/10m Yagi with patented efficient feed system. Computer optimized and field tested yagi without traps and with full size elements on all bands. It has 2 elements on 20 (moxxon), 2 on 15, and 2 on 10 meters all on a 10 foot boom. Mechanically this antenna is a beauty. Get a better beam for your money, check it out!

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB6/3M High Performance Tribander.

TA3AWS Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2018 03:27 Send this review to a friend
Like A Panzer !  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first yagi antenna. I used wire antennas before this one. There is nobody near me who uses yagi antennas. One of the most important things that I chose this antenna was the reviews on this page. I was looking for a small and light yagi antenna without traps. My research took me to Optibeam OB6-3M. I wrote to DF2BO Thomas via e-mail. He answers his emails fast and with sincere. He wasn't just a seller who wanted sell his antenna. He asked a lot of questions about the technical details and helped me with the right decision with his ideas. I took the antenna directly from him in Germany. The tower which the antenna will be established on is 20 meters high and fixed. During the establishment, a mistake caused by us, a part of the antenna was broken. When we asked the spare part from Thomas, he didn't just send us the spare part. He also didn't take any charge ! In several days the antenna was established on the tower. Other reviewers already wrote about the quality of the materials of this antenna. The performance is magnificent. I'm not saying this just with my opinion, also the reports and QSO's with other stations confirm this. There were other stations who sent me my return and showed me how good my station is ! There is nowhere that I can hear but can't talk just with 100 Watts. Now, I'm always in pile-ups. I got the 5 contients certificate which I was trying with wire antennas for 3 years just in 3 months with this antenna even though the poor propogation. THE RESULT: A light, strong and high-performanced antenna. A fast and very reliable technical support with care and knowladge. A last thing for people who want to take this antenna; while establishing an antenna of this kind to a 20-meters-high fixed tower, you should especially care about the Maxon element. Because Maxon is completely closed from sides it is required to pull the antenna to the top first, then lowering it to the assembling position. Time to time, this caused us trouble. However this is not a special problem for this antenna. It is all about the Maxon design. I recommend with all my honesty to the people who thinks of buying this.
LA1ZM Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2017 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Solid, exellent performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using 2 el quad for many years, but after moving my station to my cabin, remote operation, I was looking for a solid and not to big beam antenna. The OB6-3M was bought from a local ham. It is a solid construction, not very heavy and easy to put up in my tower.
The performance is just as described by the factory, and I am surprised by the very good f/b on 20 m (moxon). I like to use Wspr to test a new antenna, and I have tested this optibeam mostly on 20 m, but the performance is great also on 15 and 10. At my qth I have a multiband OCF-dipole(windom), top point at the same hight as the Optibeam, 12 m. The qth is very good, no local noise, and the windom antenna is performing very well. In my test I use two Flexradio 1500, one connected to the Optibeam and the other to my windom. Then I can compare the same received signal on Wspr. In all the test I have done, local in Europe and dx to North- and South-America, the Optibeam receive between 8 to 20 db better s/n. That is much more than I expeceted, and I am very satisfied with the Optibeam.
HS0ZIA Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2016 22:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent as usual  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 8th Optibeam we have assembled and like all the others was a pleasure to assemble and use. We turn it at 2 RPM with no trouble.

OPTIBEAMS are 6 star products.
EA1YE Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2013 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've installed this weekend. I only had to spend Saturday morning. In the afternoon I was in the air with it. Really easy to assemble, well finished and very well documented. Mechanically excellent. As for their behavior in 20mtrs band at 12mtrs hight, a relationship front back of 20-25 dbs. Specifically with Italian station at 90 ° (beaming 0º) from S9 to S0. So I am delighted!!.
EA3ATM Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2013 12:28 Send this review to a friend
Great little antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna since 2006, installed 12 meters high. Mechanically it hasn't had any problems to date.
Impressive directivity in 20 and 10 m, and 15 m pretty good.
Until you do not test you do not believe how effective it is.
It works much better than the KT34 at the same height on all bands.
In 17m, my delta loop monobander beats just 2 S units to OB6 on same direction, in 12 m always OB6 get better than 12m quad loop monobander.
Very light and small size.
Definitely recommend it,
great little antenna
IH9YMC Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 05:38 Send this review to a friend
A piece of art   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What else add? , great product , easy to assemble ( i set up the antenna alone without any help and in two days), perfect in every little thing. Great and full support from the factory . performance as described by the factory.
I live in a very wind island, till now the antenna yet passed and survival strormy wind weather without any damages.
IK3SSG Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2012 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
(English text)
A great antenna, a great company, a new friend.
Fast Shipping and easy contact.
Excellent mechanical and electrical construction.
Compact size but top-level performance.
I suggest you follow carefully the instructions and advice of Thomas DB2BO. For example, I mounted the balun in the wrong position, the drive 10m, and he, from a photo that I sent, I explained that I was wrong. I have corrected the connection, on the drive 15, and the antenna has proved to be perfect with SWR 1:1.
Regarding performance, the same afternoon I took off many satisfactions, connecting colleagues all over the world.
I say any more?

(Italian Text)
Una grande antenna, una grande azienda, un nuovo grande amico.
Spedizione veloce e contatti facili.
Ottima la costruzione meccanica ed elettrica.
Dimensioni compatte ma performance di primo livello.
Vi consiglio di seguire con attenzione le istruzioni ed i consigli di Thomas DB2BO. Per esempio, avevo montato il balun in posizione sbagliata, sul drive 10m, e lui , da una foto che gli ho inviato, mi ha spiegato che avevo sbagliato. Ho corretto la connessione, sul Drive 15, e l'antenna si è dimostrata perfetta con SWR 1:1.
Per quanto riguarda le prestazioni, nello stesso pomeriggio mi sono tolto diverse soddisfazioni, collegando colleghi in ogni parte del mondo.
Cosa dire di più ?
K6ATZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent design, production and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The OB6-3M is a six-element tribander, combining a Moxon on 20 meters with a Yagi for 15 and 10. This design makes it possible to fit full-size elements into my limited raising space instead of resorting to traps, tuning stubs, heavy motors or other complexities, and in addition I find the look very clean and modern. This antenna is a real performer, and I'm especially happy with it on 20 meters where I believe it most clearly outclasses tribanders with shortened elements. With the antenna at 40 feet I have had wonderful results on all three bands, at both 100 watts and 1 kW.

I purchased mine through Array Solutions in the US. They arranged to have the antenna produced and shipped from OptiBeam in Germany, copying me on all relevant email. The owner of OptiBeam, Tom, DF2BlueOcean, has been very responsive via email to every question and comment during and after the sale, even when he was on a vacation trip. The antenna was manufactured in the time promised, and then shipped direct to my door in California overnight, with no problems and nothing required on my end. I also purchased an Array Solutions 5 kW balun, which is not strictly necessary but nice to have.

Production, inventory, packing, labeling and instructions were absolutely meticulous. No missing parts, no fit-and-finish problems. Everything went together so well, and so detailed were the instructions, that I was probably more cranky than I normally might have been with the Array Solutions balun, which was shipped to me separately from Texas with no instructions and a slightly sloppy weather seal. The balun is a good product and is performing well. Turning again to the OB6-3M, Tom's nicely bound assembly instructions are mostly text, with few pictures tied directly to assembly steps, but they are very very detailed and I suggest you read ahead, twice, before each stage...especially if you don't do it all in one session. I completed assembly and mounted the antenna on my tower over two or three short evenings and one Saturday morning.

Directivity and gain are excellent. SWR is exactly as promised, with clear minimums characteristic of a high-performance antenna, and no tuner (trimmer) is necessary unless you or your amp really want to, except up in the 10 meter FM range. True to the brand this is an "optimized beam" for those three bands, that's what I bought it for, and wow does it perform well there! In my first months with the OB6-3M I've had a lot of fun in the CQWW DX Contest, busted DXpedition pileups with one call, been the target of my own pileups in the CA QSO Party, and enjoyed long ragchews in good and bad conditions. You know, real beam stuff. Life is good.

OptiBeam marketing and documentation is up-front about the fact that this antenna is a compromise choice for 12 and 17 meters, and claims nothing for other bands, but since some reviews have mentioned these topics I thought I'd give a full report. Operation on 12 and 17 meters requires an external tuner at my station, as my Icom's internal tuner can't handle over 3:1. The OB6-3M seems to be basically a dipole on 12 and 17, and I estimate that receive and ERP are only about 40% of antennas cut for those frequencies. I've never been interested in 12, but I do drop in on 17 occasionally and - for what it's worth - while writing this review I easily made several long US QSOs and one 3,500 mile DX contact on 17 during an afternoon of mediocre conditions using this antenna. Tuning is sometimes even possible here on 6 and 30 meters due to tricks of impedance in my coax, but I can't hear anything except noise on those bands. That it tuned at all on 6 meters was a surprise, so I asked about this and Tom confirmed that the antenna has negative gain and an awful pattern on 6. That's probably true of 30 and 40 as well, if you can tune it there.

The total cost was about USD $1,400 delivered duty paid, similar to the price of the only US-made midsize tribander I'd seriously considered as an alternative before deciding that antennas achieving a similar turning radius through traps or tuning stubs are simply not in the same class. I paid an additional $91 for the optional Array Solutions balun. Weighing only about 33 pounds, the OB6-3M is easily supported by my US Tower MA-40. I'll be posting pictures and info about my tower project and OB6-3M via
PD2DB Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2009 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Since two weeks i own a Optibeam OB6-3M. A small and light weight antenne. You have to read the manual carrefully when you install it. It is simple but if you make a mistake you have to disasamble a part of the antenne. You dont want that:-) We didnt read the manual and make a mistake with the bolts into the elements. Yes the head of the screw/bolt go from the upperside and fit into the enlarged hole. The inside element is with the small hole on top the outside element with the enlarged hole on top. Watch out if you have the middle part of the element from 20Mtr in the god position. One side have 1small and a big hole. The other side only 2 small. This is a perfect system! The elements are very good connected. When it it is installed it works directly with a perfect SWR. With all my former antenne's you always are busy busy busy to reach a good SWR. In the past i have owned a LP-5, 3el trapped Hygain and a 3el trapped Mosley. I only use HF with 100Watts and compare if i can manage to make contacts with special, far away, stations. So in the big pile ups:-). In mine opinion this is the best antenne i have had. The F to B is extreme good. So as you could have read in the review from Henk (PD5TS) - he help to build it up - we have compare with another friend with a 3el Steppir antenne. Of course it is not easy to compare but our signals on 20Mtr are nearly the same. So thats not bad for such a small and cheap antenne.

- The mastclamb could be placed on both sides from element S10. The manual advice is to put it between S10 and S15. I prefer between S10 and R15. The balance is in mine opinion a slide better. When you google pictures OB6-3M you see that most guys put the clamb between S10-R15. Even the Optibeam picture is the mastclamb placed between s10 - r15. I have tested booth places and it doesnt have impact on the working or SWR from the antenne.

- When you install the driver elements on the boom dont tide it. Because you have to put the phaselines on those elements and this comes very precise. When you have put the phaselines on the drivers and put everything on the exact position then tide alle screws.

The construction from the anttene is good. I guess it can survive big storms for a long time.

And another important thing is when you get in contact with the factory, even when it is a simple stupid question:-), you get directly a friendly answer with a good explanation.

Here some pictures:

73 Marcus PA2DB

PD5TS Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2009 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Same performance as 3el Steppir  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Today we have compared the OB6-3M on 20 m (at PA2DB) against a 3 el Steppir (at PE2MC). The stations are around 6 miles from eachother and used 100w both. The antenna's were at the same height (16 meters atg).

Signal reports (after asking for honest reports) in Melbourne (VK) and Colorado (K) were exactly the same!

I am more than convinced I made the right choice!

The Steppir has around 55m2 surface and the Optibeam only 25m2...

The Moxon concept is a real performer! Thx Tom for a wonderfull product!

73 de PD5TS Henk