Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-V5T Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-V5T
Alinco DJ-V5T Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $301.95
Description: VHF/UHF 5 watt HT with Alphanumeric Display
More info: http://www.alinco.com

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-V5T.

WA2RCB Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2004 17:18 Send this review to a friend
An OK little radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My DJ-V5T has been a great little radio for the past 5 or so years I've owned it. The nicad pack finally went bad after 4 years which was a good lifespan considering my Yaesu and Icom nicad packs barely made it past 2 years of usable life. The only complaint I have with the radio is I am starting to see 2 cracks on the side of the radio case where the battery pack slides on. (the radio case...not the battery pack case) The cracks are located right at the corners where the polymer (black PVC?) was injection molded at the factory. I have traced this to mechanical stress from the weight and lateral stress of the battery pack tabs interlocking with the same..meaning the radio case. Only way to fix this is via a whole new case for the radio. as the cracks now cause the battery to move atop the radio when locked into place, once causing a power-dropout when the pack fell off. Apart from this obvious mechanical design defect, the radio is a great little performer. If I was designing it, I would have made the radio case from metal via the sand or die casting process. Does anyone know if a die cast metal after-market case is available for his radio?

EB1ADC Rating: 4/5 Aug 4, 2004 11:18 Send this review to a friend
More steps please!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Is dificult to arrive to the european frecs in the free band of 446MHz cause the steps are limited...

In other sense its easy to broke the continue conection at 12'5 volts then you can't charge anymore the batt.

The rest is fantastic. The best i've seen in a walkie for this price.

English is not my language sorry.

KE4FVU Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2004 03:23 Send this review to a friend
I love this Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great radio.I bought this radio a while back.I use it daily as my home station.I use it for community service work in and E.O.C where I go to during severe weather events.It scans really fast.I love all of the memory channels.You can't beat the price.The size of the radio is good.The things I don't like is the battery.It seems like it doesn't stay charged long enough.The SMA connector.I hate SMA.The lock on the radio could be figured out by a six grader,and when it is locked it still transmits.I guess we can't have everything perfect,but this radio is close.

KI4BNP Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2004 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Fits the bill  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a reliable HT with good audio, at least 200 channels, fast scanning ability and a wide-recieve capability. This radio does all this and more. It is well made and does not feel cheap in the hand. Audio reports have been above normal and range has been impressive even on UHF. The addition of having a radio that picks up very well in the 76-999 Mhz range tops it off. I have all the local repeaters I can work plus the local public service and MIL-AIR capablilty for monitoring. Great radio at a great price.

JZ09ECW Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2004 03:00 Send this review to a friend
User Friendly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow, it is a great equipment, so simple but high performance and user friendly to use it.

VK7ZJA Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2004 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Very nice HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I do a lot of out of band listening, and when comparing some HTs that would satisfy my requirements, the V5 looked ideal. After a quick test drive, I purchased three (one for me and two for friends). We are all very happy with them.
RX audio is excellent. RX sensitivity is excellent too, quite even across the usual bands 118-175 MHz & 400-500 MHz, and even at 800 MHz.
Very little intermod & interference received on this little rig, even if hooked up to a mobile antenna, which is suprising for a semi-micro HT.
Scanning speed is quite quick.
TX audio is fine as far as handhelds are concerned. The thing does heat up a bit at high power, though.
The features & functions are no-fuss, no over the top fancy bits that you won't ever use.
Physical construction is more rugged than it looks - lots of shielding metal inside, and a fairly strong casing, but I definitely recommmend the soft vinyl case! Its a bit fat in cross section, giving it a bloated appearance, but it's quite comfortable to hold in the hand. And as noted elsewhere, you can stand it up on a table top without too much fear of it falling over.
Battery life is OK given the capacity, and a little hint is to get the dry cell battery case and install high capacity NiMHs for extended operating times.
The supplied antenna is fine for amateur bands and UHF out of band listening, but not so hot for out of band VHF (airband excepted).
Overall, a very nice little receiver, a transmitter that does what it is supposed to without fuss, with pretty good physical attributes and good features & functions. Pretty good value for money at about AUD$549.
If it wasn't for my commercial 8 watt VHF HT for two metres and my more covert VX1r for scanning & ham stuff, I'd still have my V5, and would not hesitate to get another.

K9VKC Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2004 00:23 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to Operate,easy program,great receive and transmit,mod was easy and a darned good price , can't beat and Alinco and works even better with aftermarket high gain HT antenna...I'll give it a 5/5 , programming software is a great investment makes travelling from town to town a picnic to re-program this little HT.

N3JTN Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2004 09:42 Send this review to a friend
''GREAT"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
like this great handheld good on rec and tx got x battrey from w&w with drop in charger works good

M1AVV Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2003 16:55 Send this review to a friend
VHF Deviation  Time owned: more than 12 months
To adjust the deviation of this radio (if you want to use it with 2.5 KHz deviation specified repeaters etc.) you don't have to take it apart. If you take the battery pack off there is a sticker on the back of the radio saying Alinco. Pull that sticker off and underneath are the variable resistors. See the service manual for more details on how to make other adjustments. It took me 4 years of not being able to use the thing on VHF repeaters to work that one out!
Mine came with wide transmit and receive as standard, as bought from Waters and Stanton in the UK.
After 4 years the tuning dial click stops have worn a bit and the battery pack has lost its capacity. Externally it still looks quite good as the DJV5 is not painted like some more expensive radios, it's all black plastic (unless you get the colour one).
It's a bit late now, I've got a VX7 which has modulation troubles of its own.

G4AFI Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2003 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent handheld !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hard to find a fault with this handheld. I have used the HT in the dark and agree with previous comments re the backlight but at least you can see the buttons, just have to remember what they do !

I find the HT dies without warning when the battery is low. Would be great if it displayed battery volts without turning off then on again or gave some warning of sudden death !

Dont understand G4WIE's comment. Bought mine in the UK from WSPLC and without doing any mods had full expanded RX straight out of the box. Great !