Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Mizuho KX-2 Sky Coupler Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho KX-2 Sky Coupler
Mizuho KX-2 Sky Coupler Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: SWL/BCL antenna tuner with optional AM broadcast receiving loop. Also great for QRP HF operation. (160-10m, 10W maximum through power.)
More info: http://www.qsl.net/ku4qd/mizuho/kx.html

You can write your own review of the Mizuho KX-2 Sky Coupler.

TSW282 Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2003 07:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 10 watt tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the tuner two weeks ago for 40 GBP (a bargain).

I wanted a tuner that could be used mobile or home based, it's perfect for both.

I have given it a lot of use, several hours a day! and it has not let me down yet!

The radio that I use is the Yeasu FT 817 (boosted to 10 Watts)- fantastic combination, lots of DX on several 'home brew' antennas.

Forget the expensive stuff, this is the one - IF YOU CAN GET HOLD OF ONE!!!!!

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2002 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent BCL/SWL tuner, OK for QRP too  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Mizuho KX-2 Sky Coupler is a manual antenna tuner designed for shortwave and AM broadcast band listening. It also can handle 10W of through power for HF QRP operation. While I mainly use mine as intended (for shortwave listening) I have tried it with several QRP rigs (Mizuho and Tokyo Hy-Power HF handhelds, Kenwood TS-660 on HF) and found that it can tune just about anything and get a decent match. As with most Mizuho tuners, this one is built like a tank. The controls are large enough and clearly labelled. An optional loop antenna was available for AM broadcast listening.

There appear to be several configurations of KX-2 out there, with or without rack mount handles (mine is with), and, perhaps more importantly, with or without SO-239 connectors. (They all have terminals for wire antennas.) Mine lacks the SO-239 connectors, and based on what I see in my manual the empty holes in the back are perfectly normal. As such, the later KX-3 Sky Coupler (all of which have both sets of connectors) are much easier to use.

For SWLing I have nothing but nice things to say about this tuner. It works, period. I wish it had an SO-239 output for my transceiver is all. It isn't hard to add one, though, and I likely will. For a QRP ham tuner it's a bit big compared to Mizuho's own KX-QRP or the new SX-9S.

All in all it's a good tuner, but the newer models are better.