Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | WSJT by K1JT Help

Reviews Summary for WSJT by K1JT
WSJT by K1JT Reviews: 16 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $free
Description: Soundcard based free program that contains FSK441 mode, used for high speed meteor scatter, and JT44 used for tropo
More info: http://www.pingjockey.net

You can write your own review of the WSJT by K1JT.

W5DN Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2003 17:52 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Others have already stated the features of this program, so I will not repeat them here. I'd just like to say that I am very happy to have run across this program and its users. I have worked 20 states on 2 meters since October 2002 and have had a blast. Think your antenna is too small? I worked the first few on a Ringo Ranger (horizontal antennas are better). Then I graduated to a homebrew 4 element quad and finally to a 6 element yagi. More is better of course but I have a $44 interface (Lil Rascal) and 100 watts into a 6 element yagi and have had an absolute blast! I have been a ham for 43 years and this is some of the most fun and rewarding facet of the hobby I have found to date. Thanks to Joe K1JT, the author of the WSJT package and to all who have helped me get into these modes. Try it, you'll like it... 73 Jay W5DN

WA5UFH Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2003 14:57 Send this review to a friend
Great Application  Time owned: more than 12 months

I started operating WSJT from its first release. Meteor Scatter renewed my interests in six meters and prompted me to try two meters. With WSJT I have completed a total of 269 six meter qsos and 156 two meter qsos. As of April 7,2003 on six meters I have worked 105 initials on six meters, 75 grids and 32 states all using meteor scatter! That speaks volumes on how well the application works. I now have an interest in two meter meteor scatter where before I didnt use the band at all.

Joe Taylor, besides being the program author, is just a great person. He can be found on the Ping Jockey answering questions, assisting newbies, making contacts and is a member of several reflectors. Besides that he has helped initiate several meteor scatter contests and continues to improve the application with new modes, bells and whistles.

I would recommend WSJT to all amateurs on VHF who are interested in 1) Meteor Scatter 2) Weak Signal Work 3) EME. Thanks Joe for sharing your work.

W8PAT Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2003 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Communication Milestone  Time owned: more than 12 months
WSJT software has provided many VHF+ operators the ability to communicate over DX paths without the investment in large antennas and/or legal limit amplifiers.

The FSK441 feature is exceptional in utilizing very short Meteor bursts. Dx range for meteor propagation is up to 1400 mile with 100 watt, single yagi stations on 50, 144, 222 Mhz. Meteor scatter has been done on 432 Mhz but experience is limited so far. I've worked CO2OJ and CY9DH for new entities on 2 meters and several new states on 222 Mhz.

JT44 mode is exceptional for weak (below the noise) steady signals. I have used it on 50 thru 432 Mhz. I have made 5 EME QSOs (W5UN, SP2OFW, PA0JMV, ES6RQ, S52LM) with 100 watts and two 12 element yagis on 2 meters.

JT6M mode is new and still under going changes as K1JT gets feedback from users. Simply stated it attempts to decode information from and meteors and also weak signals at the same time. JT6M is tailored to the conditions which are normal for six meters.

My hat is off to Joe (K1JT) for developing this software and giving it to the VHF/UHF community.

John W8PAT EN81vg

W0AMT Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2003 03:02 Send this review to a friend
VHF DX Made Easy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This very easy to use software will open a whole new world of contacts. WSJT has 3 primary modes FSK441, JT6M and JT44. With FSK441 mode I have worked 700 mile meteor scatter contacts on 2 meters with 160 watts and a 9 el beam at 48 feet. With JT6M I have worked 1000 mile meteor scatter contacts on 6 meters with 100 watts and a 5 el beam at 40 feet. These contacts were made via random meteors not during meteor shower events. I have worked 360 mile tropo contacts on 2 meters with JT44. This software is a true breakthrough is VHF/UHF operating. Anyone that is interested in digital communications or VHF/UHF weak signal activity should give this a try.

KB9UMT Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2003 01:45 Send this review to a friend
Digital ops..TRY THIS!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you have not tried this software/mode out then you are missing some great digital action on the VHF/UHF bands. I have always had a multband/mode rig and was usually spending most my time on HF digital modes but now there is a simple software (WSJT) to work far out on the VHF/UHF bands as well....digital ops TRY IT! Very simple to use once you make your first few contacts....it really is amazing to decode JT44 signals that your ear doesn't hear...also FSK441 Meteor Mode makes those short signal bouncing about (pings) decode easily to make contacts that just could not otherwise be made....if you are into digital and lost interest in the VHF/UHF bands please come back to the challenges/experimenting of the VHF/UHF bands and give this a look over! Thanks Joe K1JT for putting such effort into this great program...and it's FREE.. Have Fun...de kb9umt Don EN50dp

Sites for WSJT:
www.vhfdx.de/wsjt/

Groups to help you get answers or started:

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2002 15:04 Send this review to a friend
WOW! Puts fun into VHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this program for a little over a year, and am amazed! It is amazing the things you can work daily with high speed meteor scatter. I have completed VUCC on 2 meters in 1 year, with 100 watts and a 13 element beam at 25 feet. That is beyond my wildest dreams. This program is very easy to use, and the people on the pingjockey.net chat page are very helpful in getting up and going. If you have an all-mode radio for 6 and/or 2 meters, get this program and join the fun. ALso contains JT44 mode for weak tropo contacts. I have made a couple of QSOs on this mode where I cound not even hear the other station, and many average size stations have been working off the moon with it. THere is nothing like the excitement of hearing a meteor ping with the high speed RTTY being reflected, and then seeing your callsign from a station 1000 miles away on 2 meters, on an average night with no band opening. Makes 2 meters open every night of the year.