Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Ramsey CW7 Help

Reviews Summary for Ramsey CW7
Ramsey CW7 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: Simple, non-iambic electronic keyer board with built-in tone osc. Case extra.
More info: http://www.ramseyelectronics.com

You can write your own review of the Ramsey CW7.

W8BBM Rating: 1/5 Oct 22, 2012 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Not Useful Equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
Kit is very simple to assemble and extremely light weight for those in the field. That's about all the good I can say. The kit simply didn't work after I assembled it and I put in twice that amount of time trying to find out what was wrong with it. When I finally did get it working the keyer proved very touchy and is not something that I could ever look at as a serious piece of equipment. I refused to take it to a swap because I didn't want to stick someone else with this little kit of grief. A few years later after looking at the keyer objectively I concluded that it is extremely cheap all the way around starting with the ill fitting switches and potentiometers and all the way down to the clam shell case that doesn't like to be opened. A real waste of time and thankfully little money.

USER Rating: 2/5 May 8, 2012 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Not up to Ramsey standards  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have built several Ramsey kits over the years and have never had a bad part or mis-cue with any of them. This one (perhaps I got a lemon )does not come even close to Ramsey standards. Could be it was packaged on break time or after hours but never the less it did not work after completion. I was all smiles,the kit went together really fast Hooked it up and there was the tone,continuous after several trial and errors I found the 4001 was faulty.Replaced it with one from another project,and looks like it is going to work,On this type unit next time I will probably go with MFJ--Frustration over money

K7TTI Rating: 3/5 Jan 9, 2012 17:01 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this for code practice only. It is a good kit with great instructions and the price isn't too bad either. But when I got this built and hit the on button all I got was a steady tone. IIf I kept hitting the on/off button eventually the tone would stop. So I moved the paddle for dits and got them. Made the adjustments for speed and tone and it worked fine.....but hit the other paddle for dahs and all I got was a steady tone. I emailed the tech guy and he said he'd seen this before and to play with the speed and to remove a diode and put it in backwards. Or send it to them and for ONLY 25 bucks they'd fix it....what a joke!! I replied to them that their fix didn't work...SNAFU...they got back to me and said to check for bad traces on the board...I had already done that. What I found was a bad key input jack. I had an identical one and put it in and it's fine. Good kit but bad part and the service....you be the judge....they did return email me promptly so that's a plus.

KB1NSB Rating: 1/5 Jan 31, 2007 18:30 Send this review to a friend
GOOD FOR SOLDERING PRACTICE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The CW7 kit has a nice PC board and good fitting parts and a nice informative manual, however, when I powered it up it was the worst sounding thing I ever heard. There was no trace of dits or dahs, just a terrible steady beep when keyed. I sent it back to have it looked at, and they said it had two bad caps in it. So they replaced those and said it was checked for proper operation. When I got it back it sounded the same way as when I sent it. So I'm giving up on this one, and chalking it up to experience. Good thing it was only 40 bucks! You'd be better of with an MFJ.

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2005 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Useful Station Accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
The CW-7 kit from Ramsey came with a clearly written instruction manual. The circuit uses three CMOS integrated circuits, three NPN transistors, six signal diodes and about two dozen assorted capacitors and resistors in the complete circuit. These parts solder directly to the supplied PC board.

I added a small speaker inside the case to hear the sidetone, which is needed when the keyer is used with my QRP transmitters. The sidetone isnít needed when used with my transceiver that has a built-in sidetone. The speed control is adequate. Power is provided by 9 VDC battery.

The CW-7 manual also includes information for building a paddle, although I use a Vibroplex. Iíve had no problems with the keyer in about eight years or so. In my opinion, the keyer kit is a good value for those hams interested in building stuff. I liked building it, so I built the QRP-20 transmitter too.

W8KQE Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2004 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Very good keyer for price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a no frills kit that delivers a decent simple electronic keyer for under 40 bucks that works well with an internal 9v battery! It comes with a plastic cabinet, plastic front knobs for the sidetone volume, speed, and an on/off pushbutton switch as well. There are internal pots as well that adjust the sidetone frequency tone and the keyer speed range, which is then adjusted from the front speed knob too. The kit is a breeze to build, and it took me about 40 minutes to complete. The kit keys my Ranger 5054DX 6m rig and my IC-725 very well, and I have made many good CW QSO's with this keyer operating portable from 'the field'. All in all, a very good value if you are looking for an inexpensive route to a basic keyer.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2002 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Cheap kit and it works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It works as advertised -- a very simple, no frills non-iambic keyer kit with built-in tone osc. Kit PC board is of good quality and takes may be a half hour to assemble. Runs on internal 9-v battery
Speed range is a bit non-linear, adjusting the speed it goes from very slow to warp speed too quickly. Tone osc is typical of cheap kit it works, but sounds crappy.
Keyer keys my solid-state rigs just fine.