Reviews Categories | Microphones | Turner Super Sidekick Help

Reviews Summary for Turner Super Sidekick
Turner Super Sidekick Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $175
Description: Amplified Desk Microphone

You can write your own review of the Turner Super Sidekick.

K6BF Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2016 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Super Microphone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Super loud audio, great voice articulation on sideband Matches a extremely wide range of transceivers very well for me i match it with my Elecraft K3 using the ON BOARD EQ and DSP settings get a A+++ Feed back. It was a gift from a friend and i really love it.I compared it with my collections EV638,Shure 450 SeriesII,Shure 444D,Astatic 10-DA they SSK shines above all it gets super audio reports every time! If you have a chance to get one of these old classic mics give it a try you would not regret it.

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Power Audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the mic!! What clean sounding power house. I have it mated to a Kenwood TS-990. Had one 40years ago and this mic still has the magic to come alive!!! I've tried a bunch of the newer stuff. Seems like it takes so much to do what this mic will do all by itself. If you get one, start looking for another because you will want a spare!!! They really do not make them like this anymore. 73

N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2015 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Still a great mic!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought mine out of a junk box at a hamfest for $10, took it home, cleaned it up and it looks great with the chrome head sparkling. Installed a battery, wired the mic plug, tapped a few solder joints with a hot iron and plugged it in to my Kenwood TS-530. On air tests against a Kenwood MC-50, Kenwood MC-85, Shure 444-D, Astatic TUG8 D104w/10DA consistently revealed the SSK was the best sounding. Excellent audio reports and very good at working pile-ups. It's still true for this one, they don't make em' like this anymore.

KC6DXN Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2010 09:50 Send this review to a friend
LOVE my SSK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got one for $30, non-operational. Chrome was in fantastic shape, though. Belonged to smoker. Disassembled it and gave it a bath, then repainted. Found a NOS element (smoker factor) and replaced the the IC amp (actual fault). Spent $5 extra and replaced all of the rest of the circuit board components within. Re-soldered the wire connections and tested on my O-scope with great results. Got much better reports than my stock Yaesu desk mike. I LOVE it. Well worth the investment of $70.

M3VMV Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 10:27 Send this review to a friend
great mike  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have a 3 of these and use one on my yaesu 1000mp, when i switch the mike from my heil gm4 to the turner people do not notice, i have the ssk and the +3b, both are brand new in the boxes, these have never had plugs fitted to them, must be around 30 years old by now and i will never part with them. i still use an old one daily.

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2010 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very good microphone. It drives any radio and sounds nice on SSB. I own two of them. I use one on my FT-7800 and all reports are excellent, and that's on FM. They are always being sold on EBay for decent prices. If you want an excellent communications microphone that lasts, try the SSK.

KD8HRS Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2009 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Great old microphone!  Time owned: more than 12 months
super loud audio, great voice articulation on sideband as well as am/fm modes,matches a extremely wide range of transceivers very well. too bad they quit making them years ago as they are getting harder to find in good shape these days. i've ran mine on multiple cb radios over the years until i got my ticket, i now have it wired to my vintage kdk fm-2015r 2m mobile. it gets super audio reports every time! if you have a chance to get one of these old classic mics give it a try! A+

PE1IOC Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2008 23:56 Send this review to a friend
It's a keeper !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my SSK in the summer of 1980, new, together with a brandnew Kenwood TS 700s. Both stayed with me till now and never let me down. Excellent combination and always good audio reports with this fine deskmike. No RF problems in case of transmitting on 2 meters and HF at the same time. Many Hams in the Netherlands looking for this fine piece of equipment, so asking prices in the internet going up today second hand from 60 to 100 Euro's ...and that's almost the price I paid for my SSK in 1980 new out of the box !

73's from Holland,

Tjerk, PE 1 IOC

KC9GUZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2007 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The SSK is a good ol' mike if you can find one that works and doesnt smell like cigarette smoke from some CBer.
I had one a few years ago that i wish i would have kept.. Like the previous poster said they have a nice mellow sound on the air.

N9MSH Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2007 17:31 Send this review to a friend
a keeper1  Time owned: more than 12 months
broke out the old hr 2510 off the storage shelf that use to be in the mobile. decided to use it as a dedicated 10 meter radio with the super sidekick on the base i allways get offers from others to buy it from me. most people say it has a mellow not to bassy sound for rag chewin. Not bad for $10 a a swap fest 4 years ago.