Reviews Categories | Microphones | Turner Super Sidekick Help

Reviews Summary for Turner Super Sidekick
Turner Super Sidekick Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $175
Description: Amplified Desk Microphone

You can write your own review of the Turner Super Sidekick.

K4CWO Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2005 12:51 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a used but well kept Turner Super Sidekick. It has performed better than some of the newer mics that I have, based on audio comparisons. I currently use it on both a Yaesu FT-102 and a Kenwood TS-570SG (using an adapter I made that allows switching between the two). What makes this arrangement nice is that the Turner SSK has a slot on the bottom of the mic for adjusting the gain (if more or less gain is needed), IN ADDITION TO the gain control on top of the mic base. This helps when switching between the 2 radio transmitter characteristics. I also have a Turner Plus 3.

K7UFO Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2004 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Great mic! Works WELL with the Icom IC-756  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have a Turner Super-Sidekick on my IC-756 and it works FANTASTIC! Had the same mic on my IC-765 before I put it on the IC-756. I receive *better* audio reports with this Turner base-amplified mic than I do with the "HMMIC" electret-condensor hand mic. You can get the Turner mic inexpensively via your favorite online auction sites. You can also use the 8VDC pin within the Icom rig to power the Turner mic. A good investment with excellent 'broadcast quality' audio reports. Add some compression for that cloud-piercing DX audio!

LANDLORD Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2004 21:15 Send this review to a friend
wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i got a superkick with a pierce-simpson basestation for 25$ and it does great.i never heard of a three pin mikes till now i would not give it up for nothing

PA7WWO Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2004 12:40 Send this review to a friend
long time friend  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a super side kick a fiew years ago on a fleemarket and use it with great fun on a ft 920.
I paid $7 for it and the thing was only bought for inserting my turner +3b inner. comming home I found out that all parts were in outstanding condx and kept it as it was working flowless at all bands and is abolutely not for sale the same as the old beat up +3b if you dont play football with them, these mikes will outlive every ham, both off the turners are now abt 25 years old and working 100 %.
when I past the morse test 5yrs ago I only had a president Lincoln for 10 mtrs (leftover from CB) , I tuned My 5 element homebrew Yagi from 11 to 10 mtrs and worked alover the world with the 20 watts off the lincoln and the Turner +3b or Super Side Kick getting all ohh and ahhs from the big ameritron hams for both signal and audio report, then having to dissapoint them by saying they were outclassed by a rig + mike costing together far less than the mike they were using.

K0UC Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2004 19:04 Send this review to a friend
great mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works well, excellent audio. Drives about any rig you have, tube or solid-state. Audio is excellent and full sounding...very natural.
Mic has built-in preamp with adjustable output and no compression to mess things up.

KG4ZMC Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2003 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Side-kick versus D-104 silver eagle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just passed my code, bought a used Kenwood TS-820S. Hooked up my fairley new D-104 silver eagle and made some contacts with friends. Decided to hook up my very old and worn Super side-kick. The very next contact to my friend, he could not believe the difference between the two mikes. The turner has a much softer and deeper tone for voice on side band. My friend said" it was a pleasure to listen to". Since then , I have had numerous compliments on great audio.Would have give it a 5 but it is a little basey. Love my very old and worn Turner Super Side-kick!

KB0NDU Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2003 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mic for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the turner for over 20 years, it is still kicking along. The only comment from the other end was the sound is a little bassy if you don't talk directly into the mic.

DY-1-CZG Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2003 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a Turner Super Sidekick Microphone in the late 80's, and this is a very good microphone.

Sad to say it's no longer with me.

But I'd sure would like to get another one.

You guys ought to try one of these, next only maybe to an Astatic microphone.

26CAT015 Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2002 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Good mic for Icom 706  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many amateur rigs, the Icom 706 sounds only average with the standard HM103 mike. I suspect the manufacturers hope you will buy one of their expensive desk mikes to improve your audio quality, and many of these mikes don't sound that great to my ears. Also the HM103 doesn't drive the radio very well without comression, which does nothing for the audio quality. So I tested some of my old CB mikes and after many audio checks from some of my patient radio friends I found that the Super Sidekick gave very nice audio quality on SSB with a good Bass/Mid/High tonal balance, and better still it drives the 706 hard enogh without needing the compression. I use a +20 carrier offset to get a bit of sparkle in the top end. Many people have spent fortunes on studio mikes, parametric and graphic equalizers etc. to achieve "BBC" audio on SSB, and my secon-hand 15 Turner runs them close, so I am told! The only snag for others wishing to try this route to good audio is that these mikes are becoming hard to find, and I believe are no longer available new.