Reviews Categories | Tools & Test Equipment for the amateur radio work bench | Simpson 260 VOM Help

Reviews Summary for Simpson 260 VOM
Simpson 260 VOM Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $200.00
Description: Simpson Electric Co. 260 Volt-Ohm-Milliammeter is a rugged,reliable,all-purpose measuring instrument.It is used for measuring A.C. and D.C. voltages,resistances,direct currents,decibles and output voltages.

You can write your own review of the Simpson 260 VOM.

K4JPN Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2015 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my Simpson 260 from W1GQQ in 1965, for mowing his lawn one summer, when I was K1VKW. He claimed he got in Korea when he liberated from a N. Korean post during the Korean War. It is old and has cloth wire wound resistors, no printed circuit board and has been going strong for the 50 years I have had it. The only thing I changed on it was the pin connectors for the leads, put in banana plugs (much more reliable). It still has the leather carrying strap, unlike the new ones with a plastic handle. Yes, it is still accurate and I still use it.
KL2TC Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2015 17:54 Send this review to a friend
No Mistake.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't know when I got my old 260, but I am sure glad that I did. I have owned a number of both analog and digital VOMs, but the Simpson is the one I always seem to end up with when I want a critical reading. As reliable a tool as a good hammer, always works. The battery life on mine is incredible!
KF4LWX Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 10:18 Send this review to a friend
I love these things  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 9 260s, including a series 1 labeled us army signal corps from the 1940s, 2 series 2s, 2 5Ms, a 6xlp, a series 7 and a 7P, and a series 8, I don't know what it is about these things but when I find one for under 50 bucks it's mine, you can still get them brand new but they go for about $400.00! Not made in China (yet).
KI6DCB Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Great instrument!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Simpson 260 series was "THE" military/industry standard until 'WAY into the 1970's. I have several of these (some of which I actually paid for!) and they can't be beat[en] for ease of use and ergonomics. I also have a 262 Series 2 and a 269 Series 3. Both of these are similar to the 260, but with larger meters. The 269 also boasts a sensitivity of 100,000 Ohms/Volt DC.

The 260 is easy to use and nearly indestructible. It retains its calibration day-in and day-out for a long time, and, unless measuring a source capable of high current while set on an incorrect range, it is hard to hurt. Digital meters might provide greater precision, but the Simpsons are hard to beat for accuracy. Furthermore, alignments and any operations in which one is looking for a peak or a null are MUCH easier with analog meters than with the latest, greatest digital whiz-bangs.

Everyone who "fixes stuff" should have one of these.
NA7MT Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2012 16:46 Send this review to a friend
A "Must Have piece of test equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Simpson 260 is one of the high quality workhorses of the analog meter field. I have owned and used various versions of this meter during over 40 years of electronic and electrical testing, building, and repair. There are certain situations where a high impedance digital meter can lead the troubleshooter far astray. Like when looking for leakage or shorts between conductors or to ground on long runs of wire. The wires can pick up induced AC voltages that can make the digital readout go crazy or give erronious readings. The lower impedance inputs of many analog meters usually load the line enough to swamp out these induced voltages. Another place where the analog meter really shines is when setting points on older motorcycles and other engines. The analog meter gives an instantanious reading of when the points open or close. Many digital meters have a bit of a delay, which can get the setting off by many degrees. This is not to say that the digital meters are no good. Its just that the analog meter can outperform them during certain types of testing. A good technician should have both types of these meters in his or her inventory.
WA7URV Rating: 2/5 Apr 15, 2011 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Dead On Arrival  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just waited several backorder weeks for my 260-RT (rolltop). It's a beautiful thing, bringing back memories of my high school electronics. Problem is, it appears the meter movement is frozen. No response on any function, and upon attempting to adjust the needle with the zero-adjust screw, still no movement. I'll follow up later after experiencing Simpson's customer service (or Tequipment's customer service, depending on how I'm supposed to handle this.) For now, I have a beautiful retro VOM that does have a continuity beeper, anyway!
WB0YLE Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2011 10:02 Send this review to a friend
The Go-To Tool for the Bench  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got introduced to the old reliable 260 as a neophyte broadcast engineer back in the early 70s. Used them for everything from checking diodes and resistors to sensing RF injection in big 'Real' transmitters.

Most used tool on my workbench. Found a cherry one on Evilbay for 75 BIN. With probes.

Still use it almost every day. Never has let me down, and just looks darn good sitting there next to the other test equipment and effluvia of a tech bench.

If you find one, come across one, are given one...grab it.
WA9OUE Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Analog Meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm still using my Gov't issued Simpson from 1963. Used for 40+ years on the job and still using today. Works great, just have to remember to change the batteries. Don't do resistor checks that often.
AB2AX Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2010 09:31 Send this review to a friend
my #1 pc of equipment  Time owned: months
If I could only have 1 pc of test equipment this would be it.
i rescued mine from a govt property junk pile 15yrs ago. pretty battered but all i did was cleaned up contacts and its worked fine ever since
ERIEDXER Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2010 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent analog VOM  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a well made piece of test gear, and will last forever if cared for. Probably one of the best analog VOM's ever made along side other Simpsons.