Reviews Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Simpson 260 VOM Help

Reviews Summary for Simpson 260 VOM
Simpson 260 VOM Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $200.00
Description: Simpson Electric Co. 260 Volt-Ohm-Milliammeter is a rugged,reliable,all-purpose measuring instrument.It is used for measuring A.C. and D.C. voltages,resistances,direct currents,decibles and output voltages.
More info: http://www.simpsonelectric.com/

You can write your own review of the Simpson 260 VOM.

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 18:10 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my "260" for well over 35 years now. What a great VOM. Durable, rugged and reliable. Every shack should have one! They don't make instruments like this any more.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Does VOM functions well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is about the prime ultra VOM if you are looking for one. Lots and lots on ebay and often bring prices that show a demand despite DMM's being available for decades, and lots cheaper. I was totally satisfied with them as a VOM, but I have moved on to buying Simpson 303 meters, a VTVM that looks like a 260. If you buy a 303, get the probes, or at min. the probe connectors as they are not available commercially. Sort of mini Switchcrafts but obsolete. Remember these Simpsons are bakelite, a wonderful material that will shatter if dropped on a hard surface! I used 260's professionally till recently, sometimes. Have to keep low resistance on the D cell battery terminals for good low ohms zeroing. 260's can be calibrated with adjustments unlike cheap VOM's.

AF4O Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2008 09:01 Send this review to a friend
A Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine at an auction. Its an old one. I had to fix several things but it works great now. Built like a tank.

I honestly dont use it that much as i have become spoiled with my Fluke 77 but when you need to see a meter swing then it goes into service.

I remember in electronics school, we trained on one of these that had circuit breakers!

VE2ITZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2008 09:08 Send this review to a friend
"The Simpsons" Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got one in a Flea market going to Ottawa this weekend.

Have not used it much. But as a paper weight and to add to my collection of 40's Radio equipment, this is a keeper for my museum collection and home decoration.

Looks are great along with the 40's lamp radios and tube testers.

N1BEC Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2007 16:06 Send this review to a friend
A tool no one should be without!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used Simpson 260's of various models since college (that would be 1980).
Everything has its place, and the 260 with its analog movement runs rings around DVM's in places like tuning radios (where you want to see a needle swing) and checking diode and transistor junctions.
If it matters whether a battery voltage is 1.20 or 1.19 volts, or if I need to measure a high impedance circuit, then I'll use something else.
My personal favorite is the Series 6. I have one at work, another on my test bench at home, and like Shroeder of Peanuts fame, several more in storage (minus batteries!)just in case anything happens to the ones in daily use.
And I do use them daily!
The only criticism I have is that when you measure Ohms in the two lower scales, the connection between the "D" cell and the battery contacts tends to get dirty, so you may experience erratic readings and non-repeatable zeroing. A good contact and battery buffing takes care of this.
Also, remember to switch the meter out of Amps when you go to measure Volts!
They are cheap, work as specified, take incredible abuse, and keep on working. Get yours now, before I hoard them all!

73's, -Tom N1BEC/7

K0UC Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 19:34 Send this review to a friend
a classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very tough meter that holds calibration.
It's that simple. It does what it's intended for. No, it's not a high-impedance input meter, but it wasn't meant to be. The 260 is also quite RF-proof. Try using a cheap meter or many digital meters in a high RF environment...they make a fine field-strength meter.

But not the 260. Just reads what you want it to!

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2006 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Work Horse !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned and used one for nearly 40 years as an engineer, I find this instrument to be reliable, rugged, and dependable. Each time it goes in for calibration, it is usually right on or just slightly off. Not bad for a 40 year old workhorse!

I don't know where the previous reviewer is coming from, but if you need to read a voltage on a high impedance sourse, you use a DVM or VTVM, but you can use a scope too for that matter! No it won't be as accurate as a DVM, but it can be used! Would you say scopes are no good too? Why knock something down when it isn't being used for what it was intended?

The Simpson 260 is still #1 in my book when used for what it was intended!

SSB Rating: 0/5 Sep 22, 2006 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Forget it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1957, this was an excellent meter but was already being overshaddowed by VTVM hi Z input meters. By todays standards this meter is mostly useless unless you measure alot of batteries. For any kind of servicing, this is a terrible meter. If anyone needs a meter, buy one of the Flukes available.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2006 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Old Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these for years and I use it all the time. I also own a digital meter that basically does the same thing, but I always seem to find myself reaching for the 260. The digital unit is great if you want a high precision measurement, but the 260 can't be beat if you want to make a few quick impedance or voltage checks on a circuit board. When I am aligning something while reading voltage it is much easier to visualize a peak or dip with an analog meter than it is with a digital one. I would put my Simpson 260 in the same category as the Bird wattmeter; basic, proven, reliable test equipment that no ham should be without.

CALTECH Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2004 09:57 Send this review to a friend
The O.J. Simpson Meter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been A calibration and electronics technicisn for 15 years and have used the simpson meter for many jobs they are greaat and I would not be caught dead without one!