Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley Mini-33-WARC Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley Mini-33-WARC
Mosley Mini-33-WARC Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$400.00
Description: 4 Element, short boom beam antenna - 10-20m including WARC. Lightweight, max power 600PEP SSB.

You can write your own review of the Mosley Mini-33-WARC.

K3OCW Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2011 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had mine up about 6 weeks now & I'm hearing & working stations I haven't worked before. Manual is very lacking.My mini sat in a box for 2 years & the color coding faded. But a call to Mosley service told me where to locate the elements in relation from the end of the boom.Tuning took some time.I tuned it as close as possible ,raised 12'while still in the yard.Made my adjustments & errrected the mini on the roof. The internal tuner of the IC746 handles it after my intial adjustments. .Another plus is I can errect it by my self, on a 4' roof mounted tripod.Mast is 7'.So far I like it very much.

KE5AKG Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2011 20:35 Send this review to a friend
very happy with this antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this miniature beam on a rooftop tower on top of an old 3 story Victorian house, about 50 ft above ground.
My results with this antenna have been far beyond my expectations. I am working DX with ease that I could not even hear on my G5RV or 43 ft vertical.
This is a true beam and works exactly as per specifications. It was easy to assemble and is lightweight. My house is of historical significance and we are currently working on a listing on the National Register of Historic Places, so a large beam or tower was out of the question, and so was a Hexbeam or Spiderbeam with their umbrella-appearance. This antenna has a classic (actually 'classy') look, and my wife says it does not distract at all from the appearance of the house...I think she is right! Also, the antenna survived 55 mph peak winds at my breezy West Texas QTH without any problems at all. It will handle 800W PEP SSB and 500W CW as advertised, I routinely run this power for DX, sometimes up to 1000W PEP SSB.
There is only one caveat: The tuning adjustment is quite sensitive,, and in my opinion completely impossible following the instructions in the manual. Following those instructions, resonance would not be anywhere near where I need it...attempting to tune it without an antenna analyzer is hopeless. With an mfj-259B antenna analyzer, I had it tuned in about an hour. The antenna analyzer is a must and should be included in your budget. In summary, this is the perfect beam for my needs.

KB7GJ Rating: 1/5 Apr 19, 2011 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Poor 20 m performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
20 m will not adjust to allow good match (>3:1 in upper part of band). Extremely poor manual.
No useful help from mfgr is resolving problem.

W6VOL Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2011 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Great For Restricted Sites  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using this antenna for a year at an unusual, height restricted location (see pics at QRZ.com - W6VOL). The Mini-33 "WARC" is installed about 20-feet above ground, but only 3-feet above my flat roof (frame home) It replaced a Delta 3-band wire antenna. Assembly was initially confusing, but common sense prevailed. Component quality was good.

Initial tune-up was inductive at 20-meters, which is to be expected in this situation. However, after consulting with Mosley, gradual trimming at the ends of the four elements(total about 1.5 inches) attained good overall resonance. When pointed in certain directions (see below) the antenna will actually attain near-perfect resonance (50 ohms, Xc <= 5, VSWR 1.1) in all 5-bands. Interestingly, Mosley says such perfect resonance detracts from directionality on this specific model.

When I swing the antenna, the VSWR and reactance change at 45-degree intervals, which I suspect is related to capacitive coupling to some AC wiring in the ceiling joists of the bedroom below.

I have tried some directionality tests (receive) using my Flex Radio. Results indicate about 3-db F/B, and rejection of about 5-db on the sides. Overall, better and quieter than the dipole.

The QTH is in an urban area, with a long, 150-foot coax. I cannot overemphasize the importance of using multiple line chokes. I have six installed at various locations (ferrites with/without loops). They reduced the background noise on 10-12-15-17-20 by at least 2-S units (S-5 to S-3 days). It am also using 1:1 boom-mounted balun, to interface with the coax.

Overall, despite the weak documentation, I would recommend this antenna for restricted sites.

KI6NIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2010 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I did some tuning last weekend and got the swr problem resolved. I've had great luck on the bands since presidents day. I'm installing a crank up tower next year. A mosley will be on top of it. I raised the rating because I read the instructions again on tuning....operator error.

KB3IFH Rating: 4/5 Aug 30, 2003 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Compact Beam  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been very pleased with this product so far. I was using a G5RV and a homebrew 2 element beam and the Mini-33-WARC definately works better. I didn't have the space for full size elements so this did the trick. Fairly easy to assemble. As a previous review stated the manual could use some work, but still no problem with assembly. I might try to experiment and increase the boom length for a little more forward gain.

Randy
KB3IFH

K7JJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2002 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this antenna mounted 25 feet in the air. I am a full time RV'er, so wanted some gain, but a small profile. It is mounted on a push up mast, with rotor mounted on the ground. The antenna works as advertised, after assemblying and tuning per the instructions. I notice no f/b, but did not expect much on a 6-ft boom. Proof is in the contacts. I have worked all continents on all 5 bands with the little antenna and 100 watts. I have made over 2K QSOs since May 2002.

AD6KB Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2002 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Waddya Want for a 6ft boom?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Shipped quickly, but manual could use some help.

Easily assembled and installed. Very light weight tubing used so be careful. This is not a terribly sturdy antenna.

The only band I had problems with tuning on was 20m, due to relatively short tower. Pruned the 20m element as described in the manual and all is well. My TS2000 tuner loves it on all bands. Other antenna at my QTH is a HyGain DX77 vertical. Needless to say, the difference is startling. On 15m it presents a 6 S unit (yes, 6) gain over the vert. Doesn't have terrifce f/b or side rejection, but whaddya want for a beam on a 6 foot boom? It does the job and that is what I want.