Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-207H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-207H
ICOM IC-207H Reviews: 65 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $299.95
Description: Dual Band (2M/70CM) Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-207H.

LISTENER007 Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2014 17:33 Send this review to a friend
Almost Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my IC-207, since new, for well over 10 years, so long now that I can't even remember just exactly when I bought it. Truth be known it's more like 13 - 15 yrs, because I'm sure it was the end of the 90's when I got it. Any of you who may have been reading any reviews that I wrote, may notice I don't get into too many technical aspects of my rigs, that's because a). I don't posess too much of that knowledge to be able to discriminate on paper b). Many who do, seem to get a little one sided at times and appear to out-smart even themselves other times c). Because I just enjoy this hobby for what it "IS"...

Owning the IC-207 is one of those great moments that I can share with you. It has served me faithfully since day 'one' and has been used on and off over those years quite a bit and has never given any sign of trouble. Three times however, it scared me, and all with the same symptom. Each time it appeared to not work was when I had re-arranged my radio set up and had moved the rigs around, unplugging them, moving then replugging them all back in. The next time I powered up the 207 it failed to light up, causing a bit of instant worry but each time all I did was to remove the head, replace it and give it a good snug push into position and it fired back up. It has to be said in my case anyhow, that the head connections may need a clean or maybe the 207 should not be moved or grabbed by the front of the rig at any time. Apart from those isolated incidents, it has transmitted flawlessly for many many hours of great repeater work and other times even DX'ing when conditions were right. I have talked over one thousand miles away to other countries from my home with a puny 5 watts, that's all I ever used into my 13ft homebase collinear dualband antenna. The 207 always received very well too and always provided me with good all-round performance. I just can't say enough about the 207. It really needs to be updated and I think this year I might just see what else is out there but I will not be selling the 207. It can stay right where it is now and act as the "fallback on" radio. I have heard slightly better audio on some dualbanders but I can live with that and a good little speaker can make it sound a lot better. Other than that, this amazing unit deserves a medal for long service and can carry on serving me until, well - UNTIL...!!!

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2013 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Super Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little radio is super !

No problems at all and i use it mobile a lot.

My favourite dual band mobile radio by a long way, and i have owned most models on the market.

Runs rings around the FT-7800, 7900 etc, when compared side by side.

The receiver in this radio outperforms any other mobile radio i have used, it hears things that the others dont.

Shame it is a discontinued model, as i would struggle to find one as good for the price in todays market

W5QDF Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2008 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Dual Band  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second dual band mobile rig, the first was a Kenwood with the blue screen and I could not see it in the daylight. I got this IC207 and mounted it in the car and have not regretted that change since. I get great audio and great tx from it. The detachable face plate made it easy, only complaint is that I had to get a microphone extension since the microphone plugs into the radio, but that was a minor inconvenience.

I have other Icom radio's and know that they are the easiest and most fun of all the brands I have tried.

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2008 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my '207H for quite a while. I've found it to be very reliable in a variety of settings. When I first purchased it, I kept it mobile as an ARES service rig. It has been in the shack as a general ragchew rig, as well as a packet bbs rig. During this time, in all these roles, I've had zero service issues with the rig. The IC-207H performs exactly as the Icom brochure says it will. This is the best evaluation criteria for a radio imho. I don't agree with those who evaluate a rig poorly for something it was not designed to do. In my professional life, we call that a "customer overspec". As a general-purpose VHF/UHF FM workhorse rig, the IC-207H price/performance ratio is hard to beat. I understand the fan noise complaint. There really isn't a "quieter fan" that could be used unless it moves substantially less air. The only fix would be if Icom increased the beef in the heat sink and removed the fan completely. This would almost certainly increase the footprint of the rig, which would probably tick someone else off. The IC-207H is a great, economical choice for a ham that wants to do his spotting duties or yack with his friends on the work commute.

KE6N Rating: 4/5 May 31, 2008 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good dual-band radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my IC-207H for over 8 years. It has always been reliable for me. It's not a true dual band in that you can only operate one band at a time, but if you don't need to hear two conversations at once it will serve you fine. The variable receive sensitivity is a help in areas of high intermod.

My only complaint for this radio (and it might be unique to mine) is that if the operating voltage drops a little low, the radio sometimes doesn't unkey. With the vehicle running or operating from a power supply at home, I've never had that happen.

KC0ZTR Rating: 4/5 Feb 10, 2008 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Great little dual bander  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had this rig in the truck and the shack both for the last 8 months. Has always preformed just as expected. Best suited to mobile use due to it's compact size. The ability to control most all of the rigs functions through the HM-133 mike is a big plus on the road as well. Able to work all of the local repeaters at the 10 watt level base or mobile. Have only needed the higher power setting for simplex work. Fan is not at all loud or bothersome but you do know when it is on in a quite setting. Picked mine up used on ebay in like new condition. Would like a second unit for the family van. All in all has been a good basic dual band at a fair price.

W1VXA Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2007 11:48 Send this review to a friend
^Years and Still Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the IC-207H at the Boxboro Massachusetts Hamvention in 2001, and six years later it works as great as it did the first time I took it out of the box.

It has a very clear signal reception, and 50-watt output can hit even the most difficult to reach repeaters. The interface is very user-friendly, making it easy to program the transceiver. I also like the compact design of the IC-207H because it can fit in many of the smaller nooks in a vehicle, making a mobile installation appear neat and clean.

Dan W1VXA

KI4RIG Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2007 11:40 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two of them an thay are great radios I have had them about a year and no problems

KB4TPP Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2007 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Very good entry level dual bander  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Owned one in the past and sold it...recently picked up a NOS one at the Atlanta hamfest for a C-note. Well worth it. This is a basic albeit not totally stripped down dual band mobile. If you do NOT require cross band operation or dual RX, and want an easy to use radio, look no further. Used these radios can be had for less than 150 dollars. Don't be a fool and pay over 200 for them on scambay as you can buy the 208 (the new version of it) for around 250 new.

Pluses-
-very good TX and RX audio
-four power levels (50/25/10/5 on V and 35/20/10/5 on U)
-HM133 mike lets you control everything on the radio (except turn it on or off), even adjust the volume and squelch
-easy to read display
-wideband RX
-plenty of memory channels
-remote mount capable (with optional kit)

Minuses-
-power button is squeezed in between the volume and squelch knobs, tricky to press if you have big fingers
-no DCS
-no alphanumeric display
-rig runs hot and early units had problems with PA failures...very difficult to replace

All in all, a good radio. Haven't had any intermod issues even in downtown Atlanta, though I do keep CTCSS decode enabled on most repeaters anyway. TX audio is excellent, and the built-in speaker is adequate though not as loud as my Yaesu 1802. Scan is very fast in both VFO and memory mode.

Not a bad radio if you pick one up cheap.

EA3WR Rating: 3/5 Apr 12, 2007 16:40 Send this review to a friend
For mobile ONLY!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not usable at home due to intermod that completely blocks VHF reception, even with a small vertical.
Correct performance on mobile use, in fact it's what it has been designed for...
Powerfull and clear audio is perfect for mobile use and I don't find it dificult to use. If you find one second hand at cheap price, remember, buy it only for your vehicle use.
73 de John, EA3WR