Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-207H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-207H
ICOM IC-207H Reviews: 65 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $299.95
Description: Dual Band (2M/70CM) Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-207H.

AB3BO Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2006 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this radio for a little over a year and it has done an excellent job.

It is being used in mobile operation.

I see no need to look for anything newer at this point in time....

K5ADF Rating: 4/5 Oct 1, 2006 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio in 1997 to use in an apartment during a temporary assignment. Later I used it at home to supplement my VHF/UHF base (IC821). It finally ended up as the dedicated VHF radio in my packet station, which is where it is today. During this time I have had no problems with the radio or the microphone. In the packet station it is on 100% of the time (last 6 years) connnected to a Kantronics Kam XL. When it was used as a portable station, I received good signal reports running off a mag mount on the refrigerator in the apartment and later on an outside dual band vertical mounted 20 feet in the air. It is not as fancy as the newer rigs with dual V+V, V+U, U+U capabilities, etc, but it is durable. The radio was never mounted in a mobile installation so I am not sure how it would survive in that environment. I am happy with the rig and do not intend to replace it until it dies.

KI4QFY Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the oppertunity to get one off qth.com classifieds for $175. I researched it pretty extensivly. I thought it would do me well enough until I could get a better rig, still being new to Ham radio.

I was wrong... I *dont want* another rig, this one is very good! Power out is very good, audio quality reports are excellent, display is easy to read, EVERYTHING can be done from the mic buttons, dont even need to touch the radio to adjust volume or squelch!

VCO is easy to access, setting PL tones is easy, setting to memory is easy, its just an all around easy to use radio. The destructions that were included were detailed and accurate.

To program a freq, you need to go to VCO mode, and make sure your in the right band. Enter the freq and your OTA!

There are 200 memory slots, more than most people need, Ive only used 22 of them. You can specify a SKIP on a slot for scan, so if you want to put NWS/NOAH weather freq in slot 200 so you can listen in but dont want it to stop on it every scan cycle, just tag it as SKIP.

Audio output it STRONG and clear! Im using a Motorola 5" speaker, and even traveling 65mph on the interstate with the windows down you can hear the audio.

The scan is fast, appears to be plenty of speed. Nothing much to say here.

Power output is 4 levels, 5-10-20-50VHF/35UHF. More than enough power out.

Now for the little "bad" point... The rig REALLY likes 13.8... If its 12V then you wont get full power out, closer to 40w, so check your vehicle's operating voltage. With your vehicle running and the power ran direct to the battery you should not have any problems.

All in all, I feel I got more than my moeny's worth and very happy with the radio. Its just the right size to slip between the passenger seat and center console in my Jeep Cherokee, its not even mounted... that way I can run it inside easily and quicly to run it as a base station off a power supply.

If you are thinking about getting one, go for it, you should be plenty happy with it!

73's KI4QFY

KD5TGN Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2006 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for Moblie  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little rig has served me well in two vehicles over the past 3- 4 yrs) with no problems. great 2m performance (on 5/8 wave mag-mount). It has all the options that you could want while mobile and the reports back are all excellent.

I would buy it again, n problems!

KC5LHE Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2006 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originaly bought this radio becuase it was the cheapest dual band mobile you could get in 2000. I'm glad I bought it because I am still using it everyday now in 2006.

I now have it mounted in my hearse radiating through a through glass dual band antenna and I haven't had any complaints (besides a bad mic connection) Before the hearse, I had it in three different vehicles and it has outlasted them. Bummer huh? (The Cars were more expensive)

If you can pick one up for under $100, get it!

KC5LHE

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2005 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Works okay for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 207H for about 5 year now. It's been in two different cars, and hasn't given me any trouble. Realizing this is an inexpensive radio I didn't expect "virtuoso" performance from it, but all and all it's pretty darn good.

Some observations. First the mic is a bit sensitive. It seems most mobile rigs exhibit this. The Japanese talk softly, Americans as a rule don't. If I hold the mic about 6" away, talk across the mic and not to loudly the transmissions are clear. The rig does limit the deviation at about 4.5 KHz, as tested with my service monitor. If the mic is held too closely the speech clipper causes a great deal of distortion, which many mistake for over deviation. If the rig were still in production this could use some work, but then so could almost all the rest. Hear that Icom, Kenwood and Yeasu?

Although the receiver is quite sensitive on the bench; mine does exhibit some overload and desense under extreme conditions. If there is any strong transmitters on the air within a few hundred feet the RX is desensed severely. Think police cars, taxis and delivery trucks. Icom has thoughtfully included a user controlled RX attenuator on this radio which works in conjunction with the squelch control. When the squelch control is turned beyond the 12 o'clock position 10 db of attenuation is added to the receiver. If I do hear any intermod advancing the squelch control pretty much eliminates the problem, although it desenses the rig. If you have an IC-207H and are reading this and feel the RX is deaf, check the position of your squelch control. It's very easy to advance it too far and activate the attenuator.
Unless I am on a hilltop with other radio services I have never heard the telltale sound of pager transmitters (POCSAG etc.) through the radio.
I have not had any problem programming this radio. It has quite a few useful and thoughtful features.
In conclusion I would buy the 207H again. Like with any rig it pays off to read the instruction book twice, once when you first get the radio, and again in a few weeks to learn all of the may features rigs like the 207H have to offer.

W5DHG Rating: 0/5 Aug 20, 2005 18:53 Send this review to a friend
AWFUL!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Radio was ok f0or a while then all of a sudden the modulstion went today. The mic went about 9 months ago and I would not buy another one if I had to give over $40. It would over deviate and to many problems to list here.

K8EO Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2004 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, BAD mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I basically stole the previous reviewers summary,
except that I would describe the microphone as Bad(worse than poor).
Like the previous reviewer, my PTT switch went out after very little use. Icom sent me a replacement microswitch, but not the easiest task to replace it.
Basically I am still happy with the rig, but ended up just replacing the mic.

KD5TKR Rating: 4/5 Feb 11, 2004 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, Poor Mike  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this radio for a little over a year and I've enjoyed almost every minute of it. I have seen a little intermod in metro areas, but I would expect that in any radio. The only problem I've had with the 207H is the mike that comes with the radio. My PTT microswitch started to stick about 2 months ago and I just had to open it up and rebuild it this weekend. A friend of mine who owns a 207H just had the same problem, so this seems like a design flaw.

K2LAW Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2004 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent workhorse rig- never a lick of trouble in my 02 CR-V- and it's been bounced around more than you might expect. Had the rig for about 18 months now- great audio reports- even running Simplex from disaster sites on EMCOMM missions. Got a good deal at $250- considering a second on closeout at $199 for the house.

Howard