Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-7950 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-7950
Kenwood TR-7950 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Early to mid 1980's 45w 2M monobander with digital display, frequency entry keypad on the front panel, and 21 memory channels.
More info: http://www.n7uic.net/radio/kenwood/tr7950/tr7950.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-7950.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2017 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Qualifies as a "Classic"  Time owned: more than 12 months
A bit "dated", but they can't be beat for reliability given their vintage. I've owned several over the years, and currently have two working, mothballed TR-7950's.
They're built like little tanks!

W6PMR Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2015 22:05 Send this review to a friend
One of the best.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wonderful old radio. Very good performer but
you need to install an external PL. I put on
a Com-spec 32 and all is well.
I have it on my repair/test bench in the
garage and it's on all the time.
You can pick one of these for way under $100.
I picked mine up at a local Ham swap for $30.

K4YZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 19:51 Send this review to a friend
WAS A GREAT RADIO IN IT'S DAY  Time owned: more than 12 months

Had mine from 1984 to 1986. Was stolen in Florida. Loved that rig! Solid as a rock. Heard about the intermittent PA issue, but never manifested in mine. Also used for Civil Air Patrol and USAF MARS while in PA. Limited CTCSS access would be a serious impediment today, but if you're using it for a base rig for one or two local repeaters and simplex, would fit that bill nicely. I'd snatch one up for that role if I found one for the right price. 73 de K4YZ

K9MHZ Rating: 3/5 Nov 6, 2013 18:14 Send this review to a friend
It's OK.   Time owned: more than 12 months
OK radio. Very popular in the 80's, but very dated and low in capability for modern use. The problem that I had, which was a common headache back when they were in common use, was the grounding of the final amplifier board. The board mounting standoffs that were part of the heat sink casting were drilled and tapped to accept the mounting screws that held the final amplifier board in place. Trouble was, the holes weren't deep enough, which meant the board mounting screws bottomed out and didn't therefore hold the board in place tightly. This, combined with a poor grounding design in that area of the radio meant that you would literally lose your PA circuit ground if the screws came loose, which they did. The fix wasn't hard, so long as you devised a more secure grounding system in addition to securing the mounting screws. What a silly design flaw.

Performance was good when you fixed the PA bugs. The mounting bracket hardware was actually a pretty cool concept.

In summary, it's OK. Today, just make sure you have a very specific use for it, which also doesn't include CTCSS. If you find one cheaply priced at a hamfest, then knock yourself out. Short of that though, it's just severe mediocrity and you'll be far happier with a modern rig from one of the big three.

KK4NEF Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was my first 2 meter mobile transceiver ( other than handheld) and have loved it ever since I bought it. No complaints at all except for only being able to select three ctcss tones but it is an older radio. I gave it a 5 because it has served me well and never failed.

KC0SDV Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2011 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Great old workhorse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Based on the 7930 I got last year and wrote a review...see below, I found a 7950 on ebay and got it for a great price. Everything works great and had some great reports on the audio. Power measures 5W and 45W just like it should. Will probably replace the memory battery just in case. Nothing fancy at all but great back up radio that will keep on ticking for a long time.

Cliff
kc0sdv

N4ASX Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 05:09 Send this review to a friend
One of the best HAM 2 meter radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one about 1984. It was the 'standard' for two of the clubs I belonged to and they were right! I live in a high RF area and newer radios pick up intermod. the 7950 has a great filter system in the front end that all but eliminates this problem. The only draw back is that many of these radio do not have a PL deck, but this can be corrected by buying the PIXX aftermarket tone board that is plug and play. I have many VHF radios, but when I see one at a hamfest I scoop it up. I have three working and two parts radios.

K8CPA Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2009 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Good old Battle ship  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have it's younger brother the TR-7930, that I got as my first 2 meter rig from a local ham. Had the tone board in it. Works well. It's been through the mill. But she still works well.

Recommended for remote bases and such.

73 de K8CPA

-Chuck

KE5JVH Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2008 12:39 Send this review to a friend
I Like Mine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these at a local hamfest for a little more than I wanted to pay, but I'm glad I did. I'm really impressed with it. It is a nice clean rig inside and out.

I installed a tone board and have had nothing but good reports on transmit. I love the full depth audio on recieve. It fills the whole shack.

The display is bright and the controls are easy to use. I'm going to setup a echolink RF node with this rig and I'm sure it'll be a good one.

K4SGT Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2007 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect, but simple to use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these classic two meter rigs. They can be found for around $50 at hamfests. They are good radios with solid output and a good receiver. You should know that they are prone to suffer from display problems and also the backlights burn out of them often. That being said I use mine for my 2M echolink node and it has been a great workhorse. I added a small computer cooling fan to the back of the heatsink and now it can transmit on high power for over an hour without breaks and the rig still is not near overheating. This is a 25 year old radio, it is not as feature rich as a new rig. If you need PL tones then you have to have the optional tone board (then you are still limited to three tones). If you just need a simple strong radio for 2M packet or Echolink or APRS then this one should serve you just fine. I would have given it a 3 out of 5 because of the display and backlight issues, but I have decided to give it a 4 due to the age of the radios. These are really strong workhorse radios.