Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-7950 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-7950
Kenwood TR-7950 Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Early to mid 1980's 45w 2M monobander with digital display, frequency entry keypad on the front panel, and 21 memory channels.
More info: http://www.n7uic.net/radio/kenwood/tr7950/tr7950.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-7950.

N5NPO Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2006 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Nice 1st radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can not say enough good about this old workhorse. The reason I didn't give it a 5 is because mine had a strange problem that I was unable to solve. The rx would moan and squeal at times when a signal was present. I was able to make it stop by slapping the top of the radio. It may not do it again for weeks, but it would do it from time to time. This was my first 2m rig, purchased used in the late 80's from W5OBR for $250.00. I wouldn't hesitiate to own another one. There is one on the air up here all the time as an APRS digi....

N8EKT Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2006 12:27 Send this review to a friend
SAME AS 7850 WITH LCD  Time owned: more than 12 months
Same problem as 7850.
Re-solder or repalce the PIN diode and all should be well with this one.

K5YC Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2005 23:14 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this radio given to me years ago when a ham friend passed away. Has worked without any problems since. Kenwood got something right in this one. Use it on low power to work all repeaters in area. I have other radios, but this one is my main radio for 2 meters. Other radios have died or been replaced, but the 7950
just keeps on ticking. Well built, easy to use.Controls all on front panel. Do I like it,YES!

KC2FTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2005 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Two thumbs up !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use my TR-7950 as the link radio in my Echolink RF node. So far, this rig has performed FLAWLESSLY, and is on 24/7. I'm using it on the low power setting, into an indoor verticle dipole.

N1UMJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2005 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio mainly because it was for a good price and instantly liked it. Now I use it on packet all the time where it does a great job. I did use it for voice before packet and the audio from it is great, the feel of the controls I like and I just like the ease of use. I might even buy another one if I can get one for the right price some day. Why can't anyone make radios like this one anymore?

KE4MOB Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2005 12:05 Send this review to a friend
After 3 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one heck of a radio. I've started a Yahoo! group for the 7950/7930 owners so stop by:

KU2S Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2005 08:46 Send this review to a friend
A good bargain  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a beginner ham, or for a radio that might be installed in a "less than kind" environment, I don't think you can go wrong with this unit. The TR-7950 is, without a doubt, one of the best built, well designed, and better performers of its contemporaries. While it may be feature poor by today's standards, the radio is more than sufficient for medium to long range simplex operation, works VERY well into non-ctss protected repeaters, and has transmit and receive audio to make most other radio owners jealous by comparison. All controls on the front panel are well placed, easily managed and have a sturdy, well constructed feel to them.

If you see one on a table at your next hamfest, don't pass this one by. You never know when you might need a rig for the boat, or for a first-timer to borrow while you Elmer him to that upgrade to General!

External and plug-in tone boards ARE available, but having not used them, am unable to review.

W0PPK Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2004 09:33 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have other Kenwood radios but I love this one! Good power, easy to setup memory, large bright display, excellent reliability, good reports on signal and modulation.

KA4KOE Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2004 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had its little brother, the TR7930. The radio is a good starter rig, but it will put out all sorts of RF trash on transmit if you let the voltage drop too much.

It would have been perfect with illuminated keys. The little downlight wasn't really all that great.

P

VA2DJX Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2004 12:47 Send this review to a friend
for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
this is a good radio
my first on 2 meter ,, i m always happy to play with this radio.
audio 5,5