Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-7950 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-7950
Kenwood TR-7950 Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Early to mid 1980's 45w 2M monobander with digital display, frequency entry keypad on the front panel, and 21 memory channels.
More info: http://www.n7uic.net/radio/kenwood/tr7950/tr7950.htm

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-7950.

N8EKT Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2006 12:27 Send this review to a friend
SAME AS 7850 WITH LCD  Time owned: more than 12 months
Same problem as 7850.
Re-solder or repalce the PIN diode and all should be well with this one.

K5YC Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2005 23:14 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this radio given to me years ago when a ham friend passed away. Has worked without any problems since. Kenwood got something right in this one. Use it on low power to work all repeaters in area. I have other radios, but this one is my main radio for 2 meters. Other radios have died or been replaced, but the 7950
just keeps on ticking. Well built, easy to use.Controls all on front panel. Do I like it,YES!

KC2FTN Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2005 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Two thumbs up !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use my TR-7950 as the link radio in my Echolink RF node. So far, this rig has performed FLAWLESSLY, and is on 24/7. I'm using it on the low power setting, into an indoor verticle dipole.

N1UMJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2005 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio mainly because it was for a good price and instantly liked it. Now I use it on packet all the time where it does a great job. I did use it for voice before packet and the audio from it is great, the feel of the controls I like and I just like the ease of use. I might even buy another one if I can get one for the right price some day. Why can't anyone make radios like this one anymore?

KE4MOB Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2005 12:05 Send this review to a friend
After 3 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one heck of a radio. I've started a Yahoo! group for the 7950/7930 owners so stop by:

KU2S Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2005 08:46 Send this review to a friend
A good bargain  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a beginner ham, or for a radio that might be installed in a "less than kind" environment, I don't think you can go wrong with this unit. The TR-7950 is, without a doubt, one of the best built, well designed, and better performers of its contemporaries. While it may be feature poor by today's standards, the radio is more than sufficient for medium to long range simplex operation, works VERY well into non-ctss protected repeaters, and has transmit and receive audio to make most other radio owners jealous by comparison. All controls on the front panel are well placed, easily managed and have a sturdy, well constructed feel to them.

If you see one on a table at your next hamfest, don't pass this one by. You never know when you might need a rig for the boat, or for a first-timer to borrow while you Elmer him to that upgrade to General!

External and plug-in tone boards ARE available, but having not used them, am unable to review.

W0PPK Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2004 09:33 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have other Kenwood radios but I love this one! Good power, easy to setup memory, large bright display, excellent reliability, good reports on signal and modulation.

KA4KOE Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2004 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had its little brother, the TR7930. The radio is a good starter rig, but it will put out all sorts of RF trash on transmit if you let the voltage drop too much.

It would have been perfect with illuminated keys. The little downlight wasn't really all that great.

P

VA2DJX Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2004 12:47 Send this review to a friend
for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
this is a good radio
my first on 2 meter ,, i m always happy to play with this radio.
audio 5,5
power 4,5
and good looking too.

fo9r the age of the radio go for it
you never regret this.

va2djx

K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2003 21:51 Send this review to a friend
Still Go'in After 18 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 7950 new from Jun's in Culver City, CA when I lived in LA. The radio has a unique feature that I've not seen before or since. When tuning the radio it will self center on the FM carrier, thereby stopping the mess you normally hear if the RX is off frequency a bit. Full 50+ watts of power (selectable), but implmenting PL tones is a bit of a hassle. I purchased the TU-79 diode programmable tone board, but installed a dip switch instead of the diodes. Tbe only issue is access to the DIP switch when changing tones - I cut a hole in the top cover to provide access. You certainly can't change tones in the mobile without stopping, pulling over, and getting your tools out. The TU-79 has 3 tone freq.'s which may be enough. The hole in top doesn't look pretty, but works great. This rig has been a real workshorse on 2m for me over the years. It's retired now, but I'm planning to press it into APRS service in the car since it tunes 144-148. It only has a few memories, but was great in it's day. The display is nice and bright and quite viewable in direct sunlight or at night. The 7950's little brother is the TR-7930. The only difference is power output. Check www.mods.dk for updates to both rigs.

If you find one and want a stable radio, where features aren't a big concern, this should do the job nicely.