Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Yaesu ATAS-120 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu ATAS-120
Yaesu ATAS-120 Reviews: 98 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $325
Description: Motorized Mobile Screwdriver Antenna 40m-70cm. Updated version of ATAS-100. Band change control with Yaesu radios FT-100, FT-897, & FT-847.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu ATAS-120.

KH6ITY Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2014 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Worked Very Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must admit I was a little concerned about many of the reviews being so negative but took the leap and bought one. I was sure that many of the reported problems were from poor grounding. So I did a super job on RF grounding as I installed it. It worked first time perfectly. Not a single problem. If you would like to discuss it my cell number is 956-371-5018. Feel free to call. Regards, Larry kh6ity

KQ1S Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2013 18:58 Send this review to a friend
It Does Work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the significant number of negative reviews of the ATAS-120, I took a chance and bought one anyway. Like so many others, my first experience was that it wouldn't tune properly and was buggy with my 857. I fiddled with it doing it my way until I was totally frustrated. Then I decided to follow the manufacturer's instructions. I grounded the mount to the trucks body, then ran a ground from that point into the cab, along with the antenna coax, and connected it to my 857. Voila! Darned if it didn't start working flawlessly. It is a great little antenna after all. Save the trouble and ground everything.

W4KVW Rating: 1/5 Oct 3, 2012 03:30 Send this review to a friend
PURE JUNK!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Motor runs the antenna up & down several to find a tune most of the time.Worked OK on 6 & 17 meters but only when it stopped running up & down.Hold rain water VERY well.The Hustler & Ham Sticks worked better on all bands than this antenna.Friend had one as well & the top fell off of it & when we looked at it,it was full of water & rust.Do NOT buy this antenna.Buy a Little Tarheel or Tarheel II or other brand the first time & save yourself the headache & money.This is PURE GARBAGE!

KB1RXA Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2012 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Fine Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the first commercially made HF antenna I've purchased, having made a variety of vertical loops and other wire antennas. I was very surprised to receive good reports on 40M from California (I'm in Florida). Have had 6 months; no mechanical issues; have worked stations in the middle east, eastern europe and south america on phone.

WD8TA Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2012 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Tuning Issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is great I do however have one strange thing going on. No matter what I do it will not tune 20m - all other bands will tune perfectly fine but 20m will not. It's mounted on the trunk lip and I've run big copper braid from the trunk to the car body and measure 0 ohms DC on the chassis to the antenna braid and mount. But it will not tune 20m at all. Otherwise it's great to run 40m mobile. I'll have to see if it's still a grounding issue.

VA6GC Rating: 0/5 Mar 11, 2012 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Bad Choice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these antennas, yes I didn't learn the first time.
The first one the chip failed and would not move. $100 for a new chip and of course a cold solder joint.
Second one did not work out of the box. This one would only extend. Another $100 repair.
When these antennas work, they work very well. But these are a maintenance nightmare
DO NOT BUY THIS ANTENNA!

MM0DXH Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna on two vehicles. The first was an Alfa GT. It worked well but picked up a lot of noise when the car was running, even with lots of rf chokes and grounding. I now have it on the tailgate of a Nissan x-trail and hardly any noise when the car is running. brilliant. Work VK 9M YB 59 both way often. Great piece of kit. Use it with FT857.

G8JNJ Rating: 3/5 May 7, 2011 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Similar to ATS 100  Time owned: more than 12 months
See my review of the very similar ATS 100 including measured loss values.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

W0EAJ Rating: 3/5 Feb 10, 2011 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Need Help?  Time owned: more than 12 months
After fixing several of these for myself and others, I decided that other folks must be scratching their heads and yelling at these, too. So, if you're having problems with an ATAS-100, 120, or 120A, send me an email.

They have a host of problems; most can be fixed... but they don't call 'em the Yaesu Rain Gauge for nuthin. The Diamond mounts aren't so whippy, either.

K3AXR Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2010 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Seems like a great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I must admit that I just got this antenna along with an FT857D. i got this antenna since it essentially made for this rig. I'm not using it on 2 and 70cm, I have another antenna for that, so I'm using it on 40-6. So far I love it. My first contact was with a station in Spain on 20 meters. He was an S9 and he gave me an S8. It tunes great and this combvined with the 857 is performing beautifully. I'm a little concerned about some of the reviews I'vce read about the tuner mechanism crapping out after a few months, although I see other reviews pointing to the importance of a good ground, which I have. So far I am really enjoying my HF-mobile experience and frankly find the rig and antenna performance to be unbelievable.