Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna
Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna Reviews: 31 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225.95
Description: This is a portable vertical antenna intended for use with the new small, portable HF radios. It consists of 6 18" sections that you screw together to match the frequency you are on. All stores in a heavy-duty nylon bag. Only weighs 2 pounds.
More info: http://www.ventenna.com

You can write your own review of the Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna.

M0AZE Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 05:12 Send this review to a friend
6 years of ownership  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an updated review to the one I made 6 years ago.

I've had one difficulty with this product over the years, a squirt of WD40 soon fixed.

Some advice before your season starts:

Unpack and test the combinations you use and verify the results with an analyser.
Don't use force when screwing the elements together.
A little squirt of WD40 on the brass interconnects and or scotch abrasive pads work wonders.

I now tend to pack an analyser for field/hill top working but don't for backpacking. I also have and use 2 PAR End Fed antennas but the deployment and results of these have been mixed. Nothing wrong with the actual antennas themselves - difficult to set-up when there are no trees around or portable mast available. I will be adding a mag loop soon as I feel the flexibility of having both systems, Ventenna and P-Loop, will give me more flexibility and extend my portable operating season by a considerable amount.

The Ventenna is a complete portable antenna system it should be more popular.

All the different parts can be a little fiddly to deploy - practice at home first and become proficient at putting it together prior to the field.

I support what another reviewer recommends, place your brass interconnects into a small plastic box and don't empty the contents of the bag straight onto the ground. Be great if someone out there could put a video on YouTube.

The acid test is: Would I buy it again? - I'm glad I did.

73 M0AZE Mike

KG6LI Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2016 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Wanted a simple antenna I could take camping and out into the field. The HFp works great with the FT-817 at QRP power levels. Have made contacts on 10-40 meters with reports that are close to my wire antennas.

Has been a real performer...

KA3CNC Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2015 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Just great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna to take with me on a vacation to turks and caicos island. I decided to get familiar with it so I took it to a field and operated portable. Setup is easy and you don't need a tuner. I have an Iportable antenna analyzer which I used to check the swr after setup. The instructions were right on. I worked some 40 ssb and 17 ssb and cw. on 17 meters I worked a ve7,some stations in Europe, and had a qso with a station in the Midwest and Arizona. I am very pleased with the antenna and would recommend it to anyone that wants to have some fun working portable. The other great thing is that it all gets stored in a bag (which comes with it)about 18 inches long....de ka3cnc

NA7US Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2015 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to setup. Receives better than my endfed vertical up 40 feet and contacted YV, I9, HK, KL7, KH6 right after I set it up. This is going to be both my primary antenna and my antenna for camping and sailing. Great people to work with as well.

K8ARP Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 20:59 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Ventenna HFp for two reasons. Because it will fit in the top case of my BMW R1200RT for motorbike portable and because of all the great reviews here on eham. I took it to Hilton Head Island, SC last week and did some SSB operation with a Yaesu FT-857D on the beach and it worked great. Worked DX into Europe, South America and W1AW/0 on 40M into MO. The antenna worked better than I thought it would and it was easy to setup and tune using the laminated instruction card. The Ventenna HFp is everything you fellas said it would be .... Thanks, 73's K8ARP

N6QIH Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2014 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Easy Set Up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am always looking for the special antenna for QRP operations for mountaintop sites. I just came back from Topaz Mountains in Utah and found the Buddistick on a tripod would take a while to set up so I have opted next trip for a HFP Ventenna. I found 2 listed on Ebay and purchased by make offer a used HFP for $95.00. listed at buy it now 140.
Everything was there but the pigtail. I told the seller about this and he said he would look for the part. He found the pigtail and will mail to me. Meanwhile I went to the Ventenna website and purchased the clamp mount and a new pigtail just in case the seller from Ebay forgets to send the original pigtail. I set this antenna up for 40mtrs in about 10 minutes and would have tried to make some contacts but no connection. So back in the bag and wait for that part from Ventenna.
I then set up my Buddistick on a fence and worked some stations 40mtrs with ft 817 but the setup took a little more time than the Ventenna. I now have choices on antennas that can be set up in different places.

KO6FE Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2014 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Spot on  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this for mountaintop operations. I wanted something could be entirely self supporting and still work well. The HFp succeeds very well.

At first glance, you wouldn't expect it to be any better or worse than other small verticals. The HFp excels because everything is spot on. The tuning, the radials, the mounting base are all perfect. Just put it together and it works perfectly with no fuss. You can't say that about Buddistick or any other antenna I'm aware of.

The antenna uses the same threads as a camera tripod, but the included mounting base is lightweight and sturdy.

I have only one grip. There are a lot of little pieces to lose. I would strongly recommend that you get a little plastic box to put things in. Never set the parts on the ground. I might order a spare base insulator because you can't use the antenna if you lose it.

I haven't used the dipole configuration yet, but I like the fact that it mounts to a painter pole without needing an adaptor.

K9FXR Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2013 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm new to ham radio and therefor I'm new to QRP. I qualify my review with the above statement to point out that even a rookie can use this antenna and have excellent results. The workmanship is excellent as well as the instructions. I assembled the antenna in minutes and was immediately making CW contacts 400 miles away using a Yaesu 817. This is the perfect portable/backpacking antenna.

K7SKE Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2013 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Very happy with this antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna as a literal last minute purchase after winning an IC-718 at this years Idaho hamfest. Being a ham for 19 years but the first time having my own HF rig to run from my own QTH I was excited to get it up on the air ASAP. Also needed something easy to install and take down, due to the fact I am renting the house I am in and couldn't put anything up permanant.

After assembling and testing the SWR with the builtin meter on the 718, I checked into the OMISS net on 40 meters....I was blown away on the ability to talk to NY, AZ, and Hawaii to name a few contacts. Since then I had my first DX contacts from LY5A, Lithuania and Winnipeg Canada running 100 watts. This antenna has given me a major case of "Ham"itis since being first licensed in 1994!

Very quick to set up and take down, and adjusting the SWR is very easy, and I can get 1.1:1 according to the 718 fairly quickly. The setup card is a guideline, so come up with your own settings at the site you use it at, I had to experiment a little to get the "feel" of the antenna and how it responded, but again very easy.

I am looking to get the 80m add - on to try 80meters, luckily one of the owners/inventors of the Ventenna Hfp lives locally and is on the local repeaters, so any questions are quickly answered as well. I will probably buy another one just for emergency use in the future!

Mike K7SKE

N8MRC Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2013 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the antenna because of ease of use, yes it may be a pain to re configure for each band but that doesn't matter to me. Antenna works great, east to put together. I've used it a couple times in the back yard with good sig reports using 100w from my Yaesu FT897D. Plan on taking it camping with the motor home