Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna
Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna Reviews: 35 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $249.
Description: This is a portable vertical antenna intended for use with the new small, portable HF radios. It consists of 6 18" sections that you screw together to match the frequency you are on. All stores in a heavy-duty nylon bag. Only weighs 2 pounds.

You can write your own review of the Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna.

VK7JB Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2018 22:59 Send this review to a friend
Unique antenna with surprising performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've enjoyed experimenting with portable antennas for many years. I've had 2 HFp antennas - one I sold to fund other projects, but it was quickly replaced when I realised what I'd given up. The HFp is a robust implementation, is light weight and packs down into a bag only 20 inches (50cm) long. Its performance is surprising for such a short vertical with only 4 radials lying on the ground. Recently, just for fun, I used simultaneous WSPR transmissions at 200mW to compare the HFp with my 80m horizontal loop antenna up at 40 feet on 20m. For stations over 2000km distance, the median SNR difference was 8dB in favour of the loop. That's only 1.5 S points. The furthest station was a G4 at 17400km via LP, but I've become used to working long path EU dx with this antenna, even QRP. I'm planning more wspr comparisons on other bands. Once you've had some practice, the setup, take-down and band changing are quick and hassle free and this is a great antenna for operating in those places where there are no trees to support wires, such as the alpine summits of Tasmania. And I'm planning to play with the HFp near salt water soon and imagine it will fire particularly well there. John's customer service is speedy, friendly and efficient. Shipping costs to VK were very reasonable. I'm not letting this antenna go - it has found a special place in my portable antenna wardrobe. Fun in a small package.
NA3CT Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2018 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this antenna for 3 months. Very impressive and surprising performance.

In this time, I've worked 92 countries and consistently get excellent signal reports. I have been most surprised at how well I have done in pileups. There are some that are just too, too much for me, but there have been several times when I've busted through with absolutely no problem.

And the customer service is excellent. Soon after receiving the antenna, one of the elements went bad. John had a new element in the mail the next day and in the meantime gave me a quick fix to tide me over until the new one arrived.

Couldn't ask for more from a portable antenna.
AF4HL Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2017 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I a little research before I purchased a portable antenna and I'm glad I did.

The best feature of the HFp is in setting it up. No adjustable loading coils or counterpoise tweaking - all I have to do is add the sections as indicated for a particular band, layout the radials with the lengths set the wire marks indicated, adjust the whip, and I'm on the air in 15 minutes.

For a portable antenna, I'm getting surprising reports. My first DX contact was an EW7 on 40 meters and my sig was 549 - not earth shattering but pretty good for an 8' stick surrounded by trees in my back yard.

The antenna is extremely well made, the instructions are clear and concise, and it easily fits into my backpack.

I'm hoping to someday do a SOTA activation, and this will certainly be the antenna that I use.
K4BAD Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2017 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Superb Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Please note that I paid full retail price for this antenna and I'm not associated with Ventenna in any way. Extremely easy to assemble( just follow the simple instructions regarding chose of antenna elements and length of radials vs.chosen band).
I used this antenna on 20 meters and 15 meters during 2 recent DX contests...worked quite a few European stations on 20 and Australia on 15.I was running 100 watts to my ICOM-7000.
The small unobtrusive antenna size makes this a good choice for HOA situations
Bottom line... very surprised at effectiveness of this antenna.Also,there's a very good YouTube video showing this antenna in action.

Thanks for reading....73 K4BAD Harry
M0AZE Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 05:12 Send this review to a friend
6 years of ownership  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an updated review to the one I made 6 years ago.

I've had one difficulty with this product over the years, a squirt of WD40 soon fixed.

Some advice before your season starts:

Unpack and test the combinations you use and verify the results with an analyser.
Don't use force when screwing the elements together.
A little squirt of WD40 on the brass interconnects and or scotch abrasive pads work wonders.

I now tend to pack an analyser for field/hill top working but don't for backpacking. I also have and use 2 PAR End Fed antennas but the deployment and results of these have been mixed. Nothing wrong with the actual antennas themselves - difficult to set-up when there are no trees around or portable mast available. I will be adding a mag loop soon as I feel the flexibility of having both systems, Ventenna and P-Loop, will give me more flexibility and extend my portable operating season by a considerable amount.

The Ventenna is a complete portable antenna system it should be more popular.

All the different parts can be a little fiddly to deploy - practice at home first and become proficient at putting it together prior to the field.

I support what another reviewer recommends, place your brass interconnects into a small plastic box and don't empty the contents of the bag straight onto the ground. Be great if someone out there could put a video on YouTube.

The acid test is: Would I buy it again? - I'm glad I did.

73 M0AZE Mike

KG6LI Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2016 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Wanted a simple antenna I could take camping and out into the field. The HFp works great with the FT-817 at QRP power levels. Have made contacts on 10-40 meters with reports that are close to my wire antennas.

Has been a real performer...
KA3CNC Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2015 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Just great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna to take with me on a vacation to turks and caicos island. I decided to get familiar with it so I took it to a field and operated portable. Setup is easy and you don't need a tuner. I have an Iportable antenna analyzer which I used to check the swr after setup. The instructions were right on. I worked some 40 ssb and 17 ssb and cw. on 17 meters I worked a ve7,some stations in Europe, and had a qso with a station in the Midwest and Arizona. I am very pleased with the antenna and would recommend it to anyone that wants to have some fun working portable. The other great thing is that it all gets stored in a bag (which comes with it)about 18 inches ka3cnc
NA7US Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2015 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to setup. Receives better than my endfed vertical up 40 feet and contacted YV, I9, HK, KL7, KH6 right after I set it up. This is going to be both my primary antenna and my antenna for camping and sailing. Great people to work with as well.
K8ARP Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 20:59 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Ventenna HFp for two reasons. Because it will fit in the top case of my BMW R1200RT for motorbike portable and because of all the great reviews here on eham. I took it to Hilton Head Island, SC last week and did some SSB operation with a Yaesu FT-857D on the beach and it worked great. Worked DX into Europe, South America and W1AW/0 on 40M into MO. The antenna worked better than I thought it would and it was easy to setup and tune using the laminated instruction card. The Ventenna HFp is everything you fellas said it would be .... Thanks, 73's K8ARP
N6QIH Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2014 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Easy Set Up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am always looking for the special antenna for QRP operations for mountaintop sites. I just came back from Topaz Mountains in Utah and found the Buddistick on a tripod would take a while to set up so I have opted next trip for a HFP Ventenna. I found 2 listed on Ebay and purchased by make offer a used HFP for $95.00. listed at buy it now 140.
Everything was there but the pigtail. I told the seller about this and he said he would look for the part. He found the pigtail and will mail to me. Meanwhile I went to the Ventenna website and purchased the clamp mount and a new pigtail just in case the seller from Ebay forgets to send the original pigtail. I set this antenna up for 40mtrs in about 10 minutes and would have tried to make some contacts but no connection. So back in the bag and wait for that part from Ventenna.
I then set up my Buddistick on a fence and worked some stations 40mtrs with ft 817 but the setup took a little more time than the Ventenna. I now have choices on antennas that can be set up in different places.