Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna
Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $225.95
Description: This is a portable vertical antenna intended for use with the new small, portable HF radios. It consists of 6 18" sections that you screw together to match the frequency you are on. All stores in a heavy-duty nylon bag. Only weighs 2 pounds.
More info: http://www.ventenna.com

You can write your own review of the Ventenna HFp portable vertical antenna.

KO6FE Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2014 05:16 Send this review to a friend
Spot on  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this for mountaintop operations. I wanted something could be entirely self supporting and still work well. The HFp succeeds very well.

At first glance, you wouldn't expect it to be any better or worse than other small verticals. The HFp excels because everything is spot on. The tuning, the radials, the mounting base are all perfect. Just put it together and it works perfectly with no fuss. You can't say that about Buddistick or any other antenna I'm aware of.

The antenna uses the same threads as a camera tripod, but the included mounting base is lightweight and sturdy.

I have only one grip. There are a lot of little pieces to lose. I would strongly recommend that you get a little plastic box to put things in. Never set the parts on the ground. I might order a spare base insulator because you can't use the antenna if you lose it.

I haven't used the dipole configuration yet, but I like the fact that it mounts to a painter pole without needing an adaptor.

K9FXR Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2013 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm new to ham radio and therefor I'm new to QRP. I qualify my review with the above statement to point out that even a rookie can use this antenna and have excellent results. The workmanship is excellent as well as the instructions. I assembled the antenna in minutes and was immediately making CW contacts 400 miles away using a Yaesu 817. This is the perfect portable/backpacking antenna.

K7SKE Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2013 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Very happy with this antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna as a literal last minute purchase after winning an IC-718 at this years Idaho hamfest. Being a ham for 19 years but the first time having my own HF rig to run from my own QTH I was excited to get it up on the air ASAP. Also needed something easy to install and take down, due to the fact I am renting the house I am in and couldn't put anything up permanant.

After assembling and testing the SWR with the builtin meter on the 718, I checked into the OMISS net on 40 meters....I was blown away on the ability to talk to NY, AZ, and Hawaii to name a few contacts. Since then I had my first DX contacts from LY5A, Lithuania and Winnipeg Canada running 100 watts. This antenna has given me a major case of "Ham"itis since being first licensed in 1994!

Very quick to set up and take down, and adjusting the SWR is very easy, and I can get 1.1:1 according to the 718 fairly quickly. The setup card is a guideline, so come up with your own settings at the site you use it at, I had to experiment a little to get the "feel" of the antenna and how it responded, but again very easy.

I am looking to get the 80m add - on to try 80meters, luckily one of the owners/inventors of the Ventenna Hfp lives locally and is on the local repeaters, so any questions are quickly answered as well. I will probably buy another one just for emergency use in the future!

Mike K7SKE

N8MRC Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2013 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the antenna because of ease of use, yes it may be a pain to re configure for each band but that doesn't matter to me. Antenna works great, east to put together. I've used it a couple times in the back yard with good sig reports using 100w from my Yaesu FT897D. Plan on taking it camping with the motor home

W6JP Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2011 11:17 Send this review to a friend
A portable antenna you'll actually use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It baffles me that this is not a more popular antenna. We all know that portable antennas have various limitations depending on their type, but here's the thing: this antenna is light, compact, easy to assemble and launches RF. I have wires and a Buddipole and they work well also, but to be honest, this is the antenna that I take to the field the most often. It's simple, compact and light.

It's a great choice for mountain topping because it requires no supports. It comes with some threaded knobs that act as feet, but I don't take them with me - to save weight - but also because I find them unnecessary. I simply set a few rocks on the stand and I'm good to go. There's a guy kit that comes with it but I haven't had to guy it yet. I would recommend getting the guy kit set up at home so it's ready to use. I had to tie some loops in the cords and that is much easier to do on your patio than in the field.

I purchased three of the small Eagle Creek travel organizer zipper bags at REI. I keep the reels for the counterpoises in one, the guying stakes and related stuff in the other and the coax pigtail, whip and assorted hardware in the third. They all fit nicely into the carry bag and allow me to open only what I need - as things tend to wander off in the woods or on the beach.

I used to take my little Elecraft 20W tuner along, but I don't bother anymore. Once you get the hang of it, you can adjust the whip on top of the antenna and get the SWR down to no reflected power on the rig meter. Of course you can bring tuners and meters and tweak it to absolute zero - if you want to haul that gear along - but I find it performs well enough that I don't bother carrying all the extras. I did however spend some time with meters and analyzers at home getting a feel for it before heading off to the field and would recommend doing so for getting familiar with it and knowing where to set the whip etc. But after that, go light and wing it.

We've all had the experience of preparing for a trip and debating on whether to take HF gear along. (It's a hassle, so much stuff to gather, guess I'll just take the HT) Or having taken HF gear on a trip and not setting it up (too much to set up, no room, can't leave it up, maybe tomorrow). Well, if you want an antenna that will improve your odds of actually packing and using HF gear and that will work well enough to make it worth while, then I would recommend picking up an HFp.

As a bonus, John is easily reachable and is there to support if needed.

In short, I thoroughly enjoy using this antenna. I've worked the world with it using my 817, 897 and KX-1. It's reasonably priced, sturdy, easy to assemble, light and compact, works well and most importantly: the sum of all of that is that you're far more likely to take HF along and enjoy some portable operation. And that's what it's all about isn't it?

73 DE JP

KE7IZE Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2011 17:49 Send this review to a friend
80m-10m + 6m . . . and 2m too?!?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First the down side. This is a compromise sized antenna. There is no way that an 8' 80m vertical will perform as well as a full 1/4 wave sized vertical. It ain't happening, so don't complain when it doesn't. At QRP levels, it works better on the higher frequences.

The 80m coil is a $30 option.

The carry bag could have a better carry handle.

Now the good. The Ventenna HFp is a backpack-able vertical antenna for 80m-10m + 6m. Heck, its small enough to fit into a large car door pocket. It is VERY quick and easy to set up, and the instructions will get you close enough for an antenna tuner to touch it up, or an antenna analyser to get it to near resonancy. I've never had any luck using a radio's built in SWR meter to adjust an antenna.

Now what was that little bit about 2m? Well, cut 4 radial wires 2' 4", and attach them to a ring terminal. Assemble the HFp with Element 1 = 1 Stripe, Element 2 = 0 Stripe, the whip at 3 sections, and the pigtail attached. Voila La! You have a 2m ground plane that reads 1.4:1 or better across the band. Want an extra giggle? Extend the whip to 6 sections, and you are good to go on 6m!

Now for some advice. I lost one of the IECs (inter-element connector) in the field, the first day I used it. So I went ahead, and made some extra ones by cutting the head off of brass 1/4-20 1.5" bolts and locktiting a nut on the middle of it. I also assembled a spare gound lug assembly.

My radio go-kit is very small. It includes my FT-817, the HFp, a W3EDP antenna, 25' coax, and assorted bits in the kit. The HFp plays an integral part of my go-kit station.

AC0OW Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2011 19:18 Send this review to a friend
One Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one great antenna!! 80-10M in one compact package. Quality components and it works very well. I am using it in a patio home with antenna restrictions. Easy to set up and tunes on all bands to a low VSWR with nice bandwidth. Best of all, it works well. On 15M, using SSB QRP (10W) I have worked Costa Rica, Madiera Is., Moldovia, Cape Verde Is., Germany and Argentina. I have also used it on 40M CW and worked most of US. Plan to use on trips as it is easy to set up. This is a very well thought out piece of gear.

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received my HFp in the middle of some atrocious east coast winter weather. Curious and impatient to play with it, I set it up in the first floor living room of our townhouse. Surrounded by all kinds of 'structure and stuff' sure to detune it, I didn't really expect much. Rather, I was just hoping to become familiar with it and practice the assembly process. I was amazed when my antenna analyzer showed a 1.2 SWR for the 20 meter band. A very slight 2 inch adjustment of the telescoping top whip brought that 1.2 right into the CW portion. So far so good! Eager to at least 'listen' to it, I quickly hooked up my KX1 which had none-too-fresh "AA" batteries still installed in it since last autumn (I know...not a good practice!). I heard WA4NTM in Alabama calling 'CQ'. I gave a halfhearted reply and he came right back. We had a 25 minute QSO. Halfway through, he turned his K2 down to QRP level and we continued. At the most, I was putting out 1 watt.
The way I see it, today's experience was a 'worst case' scenario - super low power and lousy environment. I can hardly wait for spring so I can take this system outside and really have some fun. In my opinion it is thoughtfully designed, backed by science, produced with quality parts, convenient to transport,set up, and take down, and....it works! I purchased the vertical configuration along with the 80 meter coil. I especially like the fact that I have the capability of working ALL bands without having the inherent efficiency issues associated with 'all band' antennas. It makes all the sense in the world! It feels good to connect my transmitter to an antenna, hit 'tune' and discover that the internal tuner needs to file for unemployment!

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2010 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds Expectations!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like others, I've long searched for the ideal HF travel antenna. All antennas are compromises of height, weight, bandwidth, durability, etc. I have a Buddipole, an Outbacker Outreach, and some commerical end fed dipoles. Each has its place.
For compact storage, weight(read airplane carry on), and easy of assembly, the Ventenna HFp is superb.
It is the perfect hotel balcony antenna (avoiding the hanging wire over the rail issues).
The three small counterpoises fit nicely on the balcony out of the way. The 7-8 ft height clears most ceilings. Best of all, it is quick to set up and it works! I easily tuned it up following the enclosed instructions. My first call netted me Kure Island, and my second call got me Honolulu. All this from a 10 foot balcony on my home QTH surrounded by 80 foot pine trees.
I made one small refinement: I put shrink wrap markers on the roll out counterpoise, making it easier to see the setting for each band.
This antenna is a winner, and will be my preferred travel antenna throughout the South Pacific and Australia.
Allen
E51USN

M0AZE Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2010 00:52 Send this review to a friend
Great multi-band aerial for portable HF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I spent more time searching for the ideal portable antenna than I did for the rig, which is the FT 817. Ventenna were most helpful and the price was very reasonable when comparing with the other mainstream portable antenna's.

I have no comparison with those just my delight with this product. It's compact, light and really works. Bomb proof build quality and yes it comes with radials! The assembly time is relatively short and it has all the parts for safe assembly (nothing else required - no poles and no stand).

It performs fantastic. Does exactly what it says. It is a real backpack type antenna, with the FT-817 and spare battery you can be working HF in minutes from your favourite hill top location.

Well done Ventenna for a well made practical, portable antenna.