Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | K-Y Filters Help

Reviews Summary for K-Y Filters
Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: Modem/Telephone RFI filters
More info: http://www.ky-filters.com

You can write your own review of the K-Y Filters.

AD4J Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2014 08:35 Send this review to a friend
AM-1 Works When Others Don't  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live just a couple of miles from WCNN AM and their six-tower array. During the day, they transmit with 50,000 watts. Consequently, I've picked up the broadcasts on my home phone system, especially when my low band vertical is connected. Over the years, I've tried several approaches to suppressing their signal - shielded cable, bypass capacitors, winding phone lines on various cores, and a K-Comm filter. While some things reduced the signal, nothing eliminated it until I bought the K-Y Filters AM-1. That knocked out the signal completely.

AD4J Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2014 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Works Very Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the RF-1 because my 80 meter signal was causing my Ooma telephone interface to respond as if the buttons on it had been pressed. The K-Y filter eliminated this, as well as interference to phone from a nearby AM radio station (WCNN) running 50 KW.

John (KI6KY) provides excellent customer service, too. I emailed him on two different occasions and got helpful responses within an hour each time. Another filter I ordered from him had an issue. He shipped a replacement the day I reported it, before I had returned the bad one.

K8CIT Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 16:40 Send this review to a friend
Very effective filter for DSL modem  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found that if I transmitted with more than 9 watts on 40 meters my DSL modem would quit. I tried 6 snap on chokes on the phone line and power line to the modem and they took me to only 12 watts. Not much improvement. I ordered an RF-1 filter from K-Y and it arrived in only 2 days. Installed at the modem, I can now transmit at my max power of 600 watts and no more getting knocked off the internet. Couldn't be better. Thanks K-Y.

VE3YKE Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2010 13:42 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I transmitted on 20m and 40m , my audio was coming through our phone line. I have cordless phones. I tried 3 snap on chokes and I could still here myself. I installed the k-y filter just as it comes out of my modem. Problem solved. These filters are great, I ordered it and was here in a few days, and another nice thing is that you do not have to pay for shipping. Nice to see there is still some quality products and companies out there.

KT9O Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2008 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Amazing !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the K-Y filters on my computers AND my LaCrosse weather station. Even with the wind speed and direction indicator mounted near the apex of my dipoles, there is not so much as a flinch in the display. Before the filters, the rf would wipe out the displayed readings until the next time sensor data was sent down the line. These filters really work.

WA6RZR Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Solved the problem.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could not transmit without my dialup pc's
getting knocked offline. Plugged in one RF-1
filter on each computer & problem solved. I'll
order a few more for any future problems.

G0HIX Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2006 17:07 Send this review to a friend
RF-1 Works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a problem with a new ADSL router which was prone to re-setting when using HF even at low power.
Saw the ad for Johns filter and emailed him with questions which were answered very promptly and I decided to purchase one (Money back guarantee).

Filter received (UK) within 6 days from placing order and very pleased with results. I can now work 40m upwards with no limitation on power and still get a steady adsl signal - 80m still causes some problems when I put a lot of power on, but 100 watts ok, and this may be 'more' due to the closeness of my 80m antenna and not the filter - still have a few things to try.

I would highly recommend this filter - has allowed me to once again work the bands and my PW1 is no longer redundant :)

WD40 Rating: 2/5 Jan 21, 2005 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Does not work for DSL  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bad news! After getting DSL fromm my local phone company, I found the KY filters to be next to worthless in keeping RF from knocking me offline. Although they work for dialup, they are not effective at reducing RF into DSL equipment. I wrote to the maker of KY filters who told me he does not currently have any filters for DSL only and does not have DSL himself.

WD40 Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2004 16:57 Send this review to a friend
They work great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
John Browne builds and sells the best darn RF filter you can buy. His small factory in Davis,California produces an excellent product that really helps to reduce RFI. You won't go wrong with a KY filter plus he pays for shipping! -Walter Trout

KG6UNW Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2004 03:35 Send this review to a friend
Removed EMI on Phone  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My neighbor complained about hearing garbled sounds over her phone when I was transmitting 100 watts SSB on 20 & 40 Meters. I verified the problem and tried ferrite chokes & a Radio Shack phone filter, which helped slightly, but not enough. I bought a K-Y 2 line filter from HRO, installed it at the phone and; no noise!

It is speced at ~40 dB rejection and I believe that is conservative. Will get several more to solve any future similar problems, which seem to come from too much R.F. too close.