Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Heathkit SB-303 Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit SB-303
Heathkit SB-303 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $389
Description: Solid state ham band receiver, integrates with the rest of Heathkit SB-line

You can write your own review of the Heathkit SB-303.

W4SPF Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2004 19:04 Send this review to a friend
My First Station  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built my first Heathkit in 1977, an SB-303 and then matched it up with an SB-401. The LMO's provided flexibility of split operation. Then I built the SB200, the autopatch, and the Station Monitor scope. I found a Heathkit Spectrum analyzer at a swap and hooked that up too. I built the electronic keyer, the SWR/Watt Meter and then devised my own Ultimate Transmatch and made it look like a Heathkit product. Great station for the time and I made contacts all over the world for years with that station. Then Heathkit's sunset departure left us with no more kits to build. That was a sad day for me and I imagine others too. Long live Heathkit. Gone but not forgotten. Great rigs and lots of hams sure cut our teeth on building these beauties. We learned construction, reading schematics and most of all we maintained our own rigs. Their selectivity and power were amoung the best of the day and I really enjoyed using that station.

Don W4SPF

K8WV Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2003 20:38 Send this review to a friend
If built correctly - GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built one of these about 1972. It worked very well for me. I later added an SB-102 transceiver to the station and could use the 303 LMO to control the 102 as a second "VFO." I could not receive on the 303 and transmit on the 102 using the 303 LMO because the frequency shifted a bit, but there was no problem (obviously) using the 303 and 102 separately. All-in-all a great receiver.

Look inside before you buy!

AH6G Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2002 19:57 Send this review to a friend
The receiver of the SB-line  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've never built one but I own 5. I bought the first over 20 years ago at Dayton. It didn't work well so I put it on the shelf.

Recently I acquired another as a fix-up project. I cleaned up #2 and was amazed at the performance. I dragged out old #1 which still disappointed. After several weeks of debugging the radios, I discovered that #1 was built without the LMO to Mixer feedthrough capacitor.

Since then, I've refurbed 4 SB-303's and have compared them to more modern rigs. 1 kHz readout, stable LMO, good (but not great) xtal filters, strong audio, 3 IF amps, .25 uV sensitivity.

The real trick is to align the LMO mechanicals. Once you do that, you have a great ham band receiver.

One SB-303 that came my way has two Heathkit SSB fliters cascaded. It hears better than the others, this is a worthwhile modification.