Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker
Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker Reviews: 124 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $160 USD
Description: Speaker designed for use with amateur and two-way radio, shortwave and scanner listening.
More info: http://www.soundssweet.com

You can write your own review of the Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker.

KA9HJZ Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2014 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Nice looking but heavy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these speakers for over a year, bought two used ones for the price of one so I am not going to badmouth the speaker, other than say I am satisfied but I don't know if its my bad hearing but the speaker I was using sounds as good, my DIY speaker is a 9 inch 8 ohm speaker with a good sized magnate, I picked up somewhere I can't remember where. I put it in a plywood box and put a sheet of thin foam over the front and it sounds as good to me as the sounds sweet, I did not test the speaker with any instruments other than my ears. in fact my speaker is a little louder. I will recommend the sounds sweet because it is good. like a lot of things in ham radio, there are a lot of communication speakers with claims they are the best but what else would the manufacturer claim. Ham radio manufacturers say the same thing about their radios but thrue the years I tried a lot of radios and found out they are all about the same except for bells and whistles.

AE7G Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2013 22:51 Send this review to a friend
a wonderful addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I luckily was able to score a pair of these for a really good price at a recent fleamarket.

I have been using a K3, which is a wonderful rig although it tends to sound a bit harsh and high pitched at times.

The Sounds Sweet speakers are simply marvelous. Much more mellow sound, everything is clearly audible and the listening experience has become completely pleasant.

Although they are not amplified, these speakers do not need a lot of power to drive. I am getting more than the volume I need with AF driven at 50% or less.

I have never heard a better speaker for communications.

KA9HJZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2013 12:13 Send this review to a friend
nice speakers, i like the the square shape  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was fortunate to be able to buy two used ones for the price of one. Because of a hearing problem, i placed one on each side of my operating station, sort of like headphones. i beleive they are better than my voicemaster but i think thats because it is directly in front of me. i,ll need someone with better hearing to get a second opinion. wired in parallel there is no drop in volume.I like them and for the price I paid why shouldnt I. plus they are not bad looking speakers. Tested with a Ten Tec Jupiter

IZ2QDD Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2012 08:17 Send this review to a friend
I do not believe my ears!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did not think that speaker, it sounded so good!It's huge, heavy, solid and handmade. Worth all the money spent and believe me truly deserves to find a place on the table next to radio.All the rest is garbage, but here the difference is a speaker specially designed for use hf and not a speaker adapted, this is the real difference . Forget all the other speakers and the ones with the DSP, not compare.

AK0O Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2011 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Very pleasing mellow sound  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I originaly purchased a CLRspkr by Westmountain, it was rated number two in reviews. I did not originally decide on the Sounds Sweet as it was not powered, my mistake. The Sounds Sweet only reproduces the sounds you need to hear, thus it seems as though HISS and interference is gone. What is left is a voice that is clear and mellow. Non-amplified sound. If the Af on your radio is low, do not expect this speaker to provide any amplification. In the near future I will attempt to use this speaker with a small amp. I have tested this speaker on a FT-587D, IC-7200, FT1000 and ICOM pro III. I have done A/B comparisons with radios and speaker combinations. This speaker is just incredible. If you have bad hearing, work in the fringes of RF noise and interference and want to be able to hear a clear voice this is the speaker for you. I even tried the speaker connected to a VHF radio, the sound was an incredible improvement. My friend who uses a hearing amplifier thinks this speaker has saved his listening experience and made it more pleasurable. He hears the voices clear now instead of mud.

I did run the DSP out of the CLRSPKR, this seemed to help as well! But if you have DSP onboard you would not need to do this arrangement.

I hope to purchase a second speaker this next year for my other HF radio.

VE3IFS Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used speakers of various kinds for 35 years since being licensed. I have never found a better speaker. I use it with my 756 Pro III and 746 Pro and IC-2720. It is beyond compare. The frequency response is outstanding and the audio quality is about as good as you can get. Yes, it is expensive but you surely get what you pay for. Since you can't fight physics, the box is large and you will need space on the desk to put it. (Interestingly it is 3/4 the volume of my Alpha 78 amplifier!!) Can you afford it? If so, buy it.

VK2RB Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2011 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this speaker for 4 years & it still is my favorite. The sound is very clean & easy on my hearing.

WQ1Z Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2011 18:24 Send this review to a friend
High performer in its 6th year of service - Highly recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months

Purchased new September, 2006.

Performs "best-in-class". Well constructed. 6 years of tireless listening.

Many of you will determine this speaker to be a solid high performer whether you are a casual phone operator, rag chewer, contester, or if you enjoy pounding brass until your knubby fingers bleed.

Highly recommended.

KG6TT Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2010 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Lots to choose from, but for me the easiest to listen to.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Sounds Sweet Communication Speaker for at least four years now. It is certainly not the only speaker I have but it is the only one on a switch to instantly connect to any one of my rigs (currently six). My only regret is that I don't have two Sounds Sweets (I have two receivers in my Orion...).

Listening-wise what are you like? Personally, I am pretty picky when it comes to 'listening'. Despite that fact that I have advancing tinnitus, overall I am fortunate that I have retained most of my frequency sensitivity (59 yrs old) and maintain a deep appreciation for 'clean' sound. To much distortion, to much hiss, to much boomy bass, whatever, sets my teeth to clinching :)

Because of hard to listen to audio I have dumped numerous expensive receivers... just because there was 'something in what I heard that distracted me... that caused excessive hearing fatigue (don't get me on the subject of DSP audio).

In retrospect, had I owned a Sounds Sweet earlier I may have kept those expense receivers and transceivers . Unfortunately what I did own were the manufacturer's "matching" speakers.. whether JRC, Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu.... cause they looked right! I do have a Ten-Tec external speaker (recent design)that I have not tired of (but it doesn't sound as open as the Sounds Sweet), nor does a Palstar that I am still debating over.

Now I do have speakers other than the Sounds Sweet. And I have them because I like them too. These are certain brands of very heavy die-cast aluminum enclosed mini speakers.

Two ham friends who visited my shack and listened to the Sounds Sweet went on to purchase their own and still use them. That is a pretty good recommendation for 'some' I would think. Still....

Speakers are transducers. Simple as that. They convert the whole of what our transceiver's output at audio (not necessarily a pretty sound either)into a particular wave-front. These moving waves couple that audio energy to our ears. Right. OK, I'm not saying anything new. But I am trying to reminding that there are a lot of variables, including our own ability to hear.

Beyond the specs, the hype, the reviews plus and minus, I would think speakers are a very individual choice for any Ham operator. And I haven't even touched on the visual appreciation aspect either. Fortunately for me, I had a lot of choice how I arranged my shack so the Sounds Sweet's size was never an issue.

As an old RF, digital and audio engineer I personally tend to look harder at a speaker where the enclosure was made of a material that supported the cleanest sound wave support (with a minimum of self resonances, etc.). I suppose this is why the wood cabinet of the Sounds Sweet is not a determent to me, but rather a plus.... as are the very heavy die-cast aluminum speakers I also use (the don't self vibrate, etc.)

So my review of the Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker remains the same after all these years: a five. I have had no failures, no cabinet issues. Contrary to another reviewers' experiences, I have not found the Sounds Sweet speaker's efficiency to me an issue with the radios I use: Ten-Tec Orion, Pegasus, Omni-VI, Scout, Argonaut V, Corsair II, Triton IV, Yaesu FT-100D, Kenwood TS-940S and others. Of course I have not tried it on hand-helds or other devices with similar, less robust amplifier sections. Of course I can't speak for what I haven't used.

Whatever speaker you choose for yourself, never discount the value of a fatigue-less listening experience. Some are better than others. What works comfortably for you is for you!

73, Jerry

K8KAS Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2010 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Best Speaker Today  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best speaker I have used, I bought one of the very first ones a long time ago for my FT1000D and it still sounds great, will drive you out with 1/2 AF gain, not a bit of trouble.