Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker
Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker Reviews: 125 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $160 USD
Description: Speaker designed for use with amateur and two-way radio, shortwave and scanner listening.
More info: http://www.soundssweet.com

You can write your own review of the Sounds Sweet Communications Speaker.

K8KAS Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2010 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Best Speaker Today  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best speaker I have used, I bought one of the very first ones a long time ago for my FT1000D and it still sounds great, will drive you out with 1/2 AF gain, not a bit of trouble.

AA2LD Rating: 3/5 Nov 6, 2010 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Finally threw it away  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked as a supplemental speaker for a couple of years. A lot of bass is present and this disguises the hiss but the efficiency of the speaker is awful. Now, it's blown and there's a lot of fuzz to the sound with no clarity. In the garbage finally. Won't buy another.

AD5VM Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2010 19:52 Send this review to a friend
A permanent fixture at AD5VM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a gear nut. I love new rigs, mics, tuners, antennas and anything else that I can wear the new off, sell on ebay and replace with something different.
There are however, two items that I currently have that will always be there as long as I have a ham license. The Palstar BT1500A balanced line tuner and the Sounds Sweet speaker. They are simply the best at what they do. The speaker is huge but that's what it takes to get that rich vintage communications speaker sound. I've had it for about five years, it looks and sounds just like it did when I unpacked it.

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2010 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for 5 years now and I LOVE it!

It sure beats buying any of the Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood speakers. Now with Recieve EQ's in radio today you can adjust the tremble and bass the Sound Sweet speaker can handle and deliver the sounds.

Made in America with pride I'm happy to own one!

Don't delay buy yours today!

Eric

NQ6U Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Sound...still!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just buy it! You'll love the sound! It is the best communications speaker in my shack!

It takes up a lot of space, but the great sound more than compensates for the "size inconvenience" factor.

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2009 06:23 Send this review to a friend
Best speaker I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this speaker since late 2006. Rigs change - but this speaker is a keeper.

I have tried all kinds of speakers and even built some over the past 45 years of hamming. Some have been good, some really good, and some worthless. But, this speaker is the best.

The sound reproduction is full and warm. Best of all, the white noise (hiss) is greatly reduced. The speaker is completely passive in design - no controls or switches - and does its job well. It is large, heavy, and some say it is expensive.

By the way, those book-shelf sterio speakers reproduce too full a range to suit me - they allow hiss and white noise to get through.

TF3JB Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2009 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Sounds Sweet; still recommended!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed this speaker on January 26, 2008 when I had only had the Sounds Sweet for a relatively short period of time. I have now had it for 15 months and have not changed my mind and stand by all comments made at that time.

On the other hand, now that I have extended the bandwidth of one of my fixed filter positions for SSB in the IC-756PROIII to a 3.6 kHz (its maximum) I find that I now experience some signals to have too much bass. As a matter of fact some signals can be so uncomfortable that I quickly revert to my usual 2.4 kHz bandwidth.

I would estimate that this low frequency in audio reproduction is though experienced only with approx. 20% of SSB signals when the bandwidth is extended above 2.8 kHz. I have never experienced any discomfort with received signals at the 2.4 kHz bandwidth.

My guess is that possibly some of the criticism raised by a few previous reviewers on the excessive bass might be a reason of the bandwidth used and could possibly be dependent on the make and type of transceiver/receiver.

As a final thought, it is my experience that the positioning of a communications speaker is also very important. As you can see if you type in my call sign on QRZ.Com, the Sounds Sweet is positioned directly above the transceiver in the approx. height as my head. I have tried to position it elsewhere, but I always go back to the current position.

73 de TF2JB.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2009 05:32 Send this review to a friend
I love mine !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I run 2 soundsweet speakers with my Ten Tec Orion II, and I couldn't be more pleased. I've noticed no real trouble copying a wide range of signals, and they are EFFICIENT! My biggest complaint of radio manufacturers these days is their lack of audio output! Most CB radios run more clean audio output than most mobile HF rigs. I get nice loud clean audio out of mine for listening in the other room when I'm away from the radio. I just wish they would make a mirror speaker like home stereo speakers, as the current identical speakers look somewhat goofy standing side by side. I'm keeping mine!

KE4WY Rating: 3/5 Mar 27, 2009 23:44 Send this review to a friend
Just OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just OK. I have & have used speakers I like better than this large box.

K3DAV Rating: 2/5 Mar 27, 2009 19:23 Send this review to a friend
A BIG Disappointment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got the $178.(w/S+H) Sounds Sweet speaker today. I connected it up to my Icom 706MKIIG. I made this purchased based on the eham reviews. You guys are usually right on the money with your opinions of products. But not this time.

Before I continue, let it be known that while I may be 54 years old, my hearing was checked back in August, and I have excellent hearing from 30Hz to 19,000Hz. Also I realize that many factors may produce different results from a speaker or microphone. Room accoustics, proximity of the speaker to the listener, and most of all, the radio itself. Some manufacturers emphasize bass, and some the high tones. So as the old saying goes, "Your milage may vary". With that in mind, let's continue with the review.

First I listened to a couple of guys on 2M FM simplex. It was OK but lacked the natural high tones normally found with FM.

Then I listened to some music and talking from AM short wave stations, and local AM radio broadcast stations. It was very flat sounding. Very little bass and no highs at all.

Then I gave it the ultimate test for any serious ham operator. SSB! I found a few different QSO's to test with. Some of them were brassy sounding, and 2 of them had nice wide fidelity SSB audio.
With the Sounds Sweet speaker, they all lacked clarity in the higher tones. I couldn't tell the difference between the call sign letters "F", "X" and "S", or a "D" from a "B" or "P" or "T".... well you get the picture.
While one ham with wider SSB audio was in a long key-down, I quickly switched back to my Radio Shack bookshelf stereo speaker, (RS Cat# 40-5001) with a cast metal case, a 17oz. 4" long throw woofer, and a 1" dome tweeter. All of the sudden, I could hear the clean natural bass and highs in his audio. The wide SSB sound came to life. I could hear the call sign letters again.

With that last test, I put the Sounds Sweet speaker back in the box, and it's going back for a refund. The sad part is, it cost me $18 to ship it to me, and another $18 to send it back. That's $36. to be disappointed. Don't waste your hard earned money on this one. I learned the hard way.

I can not imagine how anyone can think this speaker is that great. It's like any other normal speaker with all the highs removed. Well here's the scoop guys. Sometimes we need to put up with a little hiss to distinguish a "T" from a "P", "B", "D", "G", "C", "E", "V".................