Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | M2 420-50-11 Help

Reviews Summary for M2 420-50-11
M2 420-50-11 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $115
Description: 11 Element 70CM Beam
More info: http://www.m2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 420-50-11.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2011 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer for Its Size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This very modest-sized antenna works terrific on 432 SSB. Bandwidth is very wide and this makes an effective FM or satellite antenna as well. The pattern is clean and F/B is nice. I had no issues with the element keepers, having built many M2 antennas before. Given how cheap those keepers must be, I echo others suggestion that M2 include a few extra. Saving a few pennies on what appears to be a pet peeve of many M2 users seems a bit shortsighted. That being said, if you need an effective 70cm antenna in a small package, the 420-50-11 fits the bill.

N3PKC Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2006 22:02 Send this review to a friend
One hundred percent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna for satellite use after using a 10el diamond and was looking for something more rigid and permanent. It outperformed the diamond on receive and transmit while allowing me to work AO-51 with ease. While mounted fixed at about 30 degrees elevation I was able to hold AO-51 full quieting between roughly 2 and 50 degrees elevation. The addition of an IC-910 and 432 preamp allowed me to work SO-50 with nearly equal success. My uplink antenna is an M2 2m4 four element yagi which is also an end-mounted antenna. Except for the little KLM style insulators, this one can't be beat

KQ6EA Rating: 3/5 Nov 26, 2004 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Very nice, BUT....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed one of these yesterday to replace a similar KLM I had up. Nice clean pattern, good gain, F/B, and quality construction.
Now for the "BUT"! I, too, feel that M2 should include a few extra keepers for those that haven't figured out how to back one off when they've pushed it on too far. And to use cheesy cad-plated u-bolts and clamps when the rest of the antenna has stainless hardware knocks off an extra point in my review.
Now for the tip on backing off a mis-installed keeper. Push the element back out an inch or so, and grab the keeper with needle-nose pliers. You can now twist the element while pulling back on it, and the keeper will screw its way back down a bit. Check your dimensions again, and install the other keeper, making sure both are snug against the plastic button. Works like a champ, and I've never had a keeper that's been re-positioned this way come loose.

VA2DV Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2003 13:32 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank but support...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My previous beam antennas where always Cushcraft
models.Boy,what a difference ! You really get a solid feel from this one ! Construction is very
great with a nice feeding system.The only complain
i have i that i have emailed M2 about the internal
wiring of the feed block (mine was damaged in shipping) and i still dont have a single reply.
Not a big deal but for the price of the antenna
i had expected a little support.
Overall a good performer for the size

W2TMA Rating: 4/5 Oct 18, 2002 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Usual M2 Quality ....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed this antenna tonite and have'nt had a lot of time to test it, but so far I am impressed with it. I have 4 other M2 antennas and am extremely happy with there quality construction and top-notch performance....
However, that said I cannot give this antenna the 5 that I would like to because of the following: Anyone familiar with M2 Construction knows the stainless steel keepers (which are SO difficult to get on!) that hold the elements in place on the boom... well I noticed that now they are no longer including any extra with your antenna! This goes for the little neoprene buttons as well! I had to cut three of the keepers off because I pushed them a little too far, and if I did'nt have extras left over from my last M2 antenna (when they did include a few extras) I would not have been able to complete the assembly without either a trip to the hardware store or waiting for M2 to send them out. This is unacceptable considering they could'nt cost M2 more then a tenth of a cent!
I hope this is just a one time problem and not some new cost-saving plan at M2, but this coupled with the fact that there should'nt be a need for the damn keepers anyway(there HAS to be a better Way M2!)keeps me from giving the antenna the highest grade.