Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Austin 500C Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Austin 500C Antenna
Austin 500C Antenna Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $35.00
Description: The 500C Antenna are an adaptation of the popular Metropolitan Mobile Multiband Antenna. The UHF function is handled by the upper whip portion of the antenna. The element is operational as a ground independent 1/2 wave radiator. It is isolated from the feed line by the resonant cavity, which also produces a 50-ohm match. This isolation, combined with the elevation of the feed point, produces a superior radiation pattern that is on the horizon for maximum range and efficiency. The VHF operation is provided by the overall length of the antenna, functioning as a 1/4 wave element while using the vehicle as a ground plane. This patented technique substantially lowers the typically high radiation angle of the 1/4 wave antenna. Relatively short, the antenna will not bend over at highway speeds, distorting the radiation pattern. These two factors combine to provide performance when at speeds exceeding the typical 5/8 wave design. The 500C family of antenna includes single, dual, tri, and quad band versions in many popular frequency splits.
More info: http://www.austinantenna.net/

You can write your own review of the Austin 500C Antenna.

W1DOG Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2016 03:54 Send this review to a friend
A+ rating  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased around 1992,and in service for 12+ years. About to put the same antenna back in service. I used my 500C in the very hilly terrain of New England for 12 years in cars and vans. I used a good balance of 2 and 440 repeaters and the performance was NEVER out matched. OF GREAT NOTE: I used this antenna in my fiberglass body RV were other antennas would not work without a metal plate being added. Camping to Interstate, country to city, the Austin 500C WORKED, period. (Oh, I did have the usual issue in cold weather with condensation and the NMO mounted antennas. Solved by putting an O ring between the body and the screw down collar, something I had issue with on most NMO mounted antennas.

N2XPM Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2016 18:13 Send this review to a friend
Still Going Strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well still going strong having returned back to using it again. I found that even for its size, it still equals or out performs longer length mobile antennas that have higher gain. I have tried so many antennas over the years and this by far out performs so many of them.

If you install it properly, it will deliver many years of use....

K3LRH Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2016 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
...Installed via mag mount on my truck roof since 2007. Filled the NMO mount with "Stuff" dielectric water proofing and all is good. Low height allows pull into garage without fiddling. Easily handles 75 watts continuous. There may be better, longer antennas, but this one suits my needs. Recommended.

W9RNA Rating: 2/5 May 23, 2015 05:46 Send this review to a friend
So So  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna about 2 weeks ago. I purchased it based on the reviews listed here. Boy what a mistake, I have used wooden fence posts. That have worked better. I was using an old Pro-Am duo band antenna. Which has worked great for years. But I thought I needed a newer model.
The swr is very good. But the rcv with the antenna is very poor. On tranmit my wife was so broken up. I thought she was on the other side of the world. It turns out the antenna was broken after she got home and I took it off the car. I would recommend this antenna to anyone who has extra money to blow away. Buy Larsen it is better.

KM4ASH Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2014 22:43 Send this review to a friend
Good Signal Reports!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been licensed only a short time (Six weeks).

Bought a Boefung UV-5R - so as to not invest too much while learning.

Bought this antenna for my van based on reviews here to be sure I had a very good antenna to go with my 4 watt power.

I get very surprised responses at my signal quality when I say I am at 4 watts. When I further mention the antenna mounted on the top of a full size van, I then hear "Oh, that explains the distance at 4 watts."

Craig - KM4ASH

KF5HDU Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2013 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My unit replaced a Diamond 770HA. I also run an SG7900 from time to time. The 500c does everything the 770 does in a smaller, less expensive package. The NMO is the cat's meow too. I simply believe the 500c is one of the best mobile antennas made. Period! I drive 50k miles a year across a lot countryside. I hit a lot of repeaters across North Texas and eastern Oklahoma. Try one, you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

KJ4DZF Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2012 15:51 Send this review to a friend
excellect product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought this for installation on a new car. all i can say is WOW. for it's size this antenna works remarkably well. So well in fact i am ordering a second to replace a larger antenna on my truck.

the 500c works as designed, is well made and even looks good when installed. One surpise i found is the base is flexible allowing the already sort antenna to flex and bend easily if needed.

KK4CDT Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2011 23:09 Send this review to a friend
A Great Antenna for Your Dual Band Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this antenna after reading several other reviews, and can honestly say that I'm very impressed. I can consistently hit repeaters 40 or so miles away. With mountains all around, that's not an easy task. The 500C also works great in receiving signals as well. I'm able to pick up things I couldn't hear with a 5/8 wave (Larsen NMO150). The 500C's design is different than what we're all used to, but it works and works well. It is, without a doubt, the best mobile antenna I have used.

W8MPX Rating: 3/5 Mar 14, 2011 20:32 Send this review to a friend
not what i expect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got 1 because the good review but my diamond NR770HBNMO PERFORME BETTER ON 2 METER AND 70cm. I call austin and ask how much db the austin 500C have they said none nada zero because is a ground plane dipole how much db the diamond on 2 meter 3.0db on 70cm 5.5db, but still i test both antenna with the same radio and the Diamond transmit and receive better,but for 18 inches it do a good job.i'm keeping the austin 500C for rental cars and traveling. note the 500C is better on 2 meter on 70cm its ok. try the austin metropolitan you be better ok 73' for everyone

N2XPM Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased several of these antennas for users on my machine. Some using it on Magnetic mounts and others using it on mounts permanently mounted on top of the vehicle. Users have stated that they are hearing much better and able to hit distant machines with reduced power compared to using either a 1/4 spike or high gain antenna greater than 40" in height. If you are careful with the install, the antenna will last a long time. It's performance is outstanding equal to or greater than some of the taller high gain antennas and cheaper too.