Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Austin 500C Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Austin 500C Antenna
Austin 500C Antenna Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $35.00
Description: The 500C Antenna are an adaptation of the popular Metropolitan Mobile Multiband Antenna. The UHF function is handled by the upper whip portion of the antenna. The element is operational as a ground independent 1/2 wave radiator. It is isolated from the feed line by the resonant cavity, which also produces a 50-ohm match. This isolation, combined with the elevation of the feed point, produces a superior radiation pattern that is on the horizon for maximum range and efficiency. The VHF operation is provided by the overall length of the antenna, functioning as a 1/4 wave element while using the vehicle as a ground plane. This patented technique substantially lowers the typically high radiation angle of the 1/4 wave antenna. Relatively short, the antenna will not bend over at highway speeds, distorting the radiation pattern. These two factors combine to provide performance when at speeds exceeding the typical 5/8 wave design. The 500C family of antenna includes single, dual, tri, and quad band versions in many popular frequency splits.
More info: http://www.austinantenna.net/

You can write your own review of the Austin 500C Antenna.

N1FDX Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2009 05:06 Send this review to a friend
18+year old and still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna has been on more cars than I can remember. Fixed and mag mount. Had to re-solder the little contact wiper in the base once but otherwise perfect. Excellent performance also, even 2m SSB contacts in the contest.

KD7YQI Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2007 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Superb Quality/Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna after reading the reviews posted here. I live here in Montana and often drive 70mph into 50mph head/crosswinds. I can't use a big antenna and expect it to survive. I also wanted something I could move to a different vehicle, hence a mag mount. When I recieved the antenna, I was surprise the quality was so nice. This thing is built well. It holds on to the top of my tuna can lid ( '91 Mazda Protege) for sure. I have driven it through some gnarly winds already and I was impressed. Got it hooked up to an Icom 2100. It recieves much better than my 'firestik' type antenna. I pick up all kinds of repeaters I never heard before in these remote areas. I get excellent reports on transmission. Looks killer too. I can't ask for anything more in a little 1/4 wave. It's so quiet, I can't believe the 'lil things even up top. I would reccomend this antenna to anyone, at least anyone with a 2m radio they want to rock!

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2007 16:55 Send this review to a friend
500SC with Yaesu FTM-10R  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the soft top version of this antenna and I can't add anything to the reviews of the antenna on 2M & 70CM, it's a super antenna. However, in addition, it has wide band receive that is much better than other dual band antennas I've tried. I spend most of my time listening to AM and FM radio on the commute, as well as to police and airband frequencies. This is the main reason I bought the FTM-10R, for is wide-range RX capabilities. Finding a great dual-band antenna which also has wide-range RX with such a short profile was more than I expected. Fantastic antenna.

NB7I Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2007 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's supposed to..  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the price and length, this is a good performer. It claims to be a quarter wave on 2 meters, and an elevated 1/2 wave on 440. Thus, gain figures are minimal. This is not a miracle antenna - simply one that does what it is supposed to. Unlike some so-called high gain dual banders that usually don't have any gain at a usable angle.
Austin has no dealers west of the Mississippi when I bought mine, but direct sales went well. The construction has held up well, but it is clearly a hand made antenna.
It'll fit in the garage, works, and doesn't fall apart on the first road trip.

WI5O Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2007 12:41 Send this review to a friend
500C with Dual Band Yaesu 7800R  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
the Austin Antenna 500C dual band antenna was purchased for my mobile Yaesu FT7800R dual band transciever. I am comparing the Austin 500C to a Diamond NR770HNMO. I bought the soft-top version that gives when you hit something above the antenna.

SWR: I used a Diamond SX40C meter for SWR checks. The Austin Antenna was custom built and came from the factory with the following SWR readings: 2 meter transmit ranged from 1.1-1 SWR at the lower spectrum to 1.15-1 SWR at the higher spectrum. On the 70 centimeter transmit side, the SWR was a little bit higher. It ranged from 1.25-1 SWR on the low side of the spectrum to about 1.45-1 SWR on the higher frequencies. The 500C doesn't appear to have an adjustment stub.

I tried several repeaters as far away as 60 plus miles. I was able to hit repeaters using the Austin 500C that I couldn't even hear with the Diamond Antenna.

Receive:

I was amazed that I could hear several repeaters and even simplex conversations with the Austin 500C that I never heard with the much more expensive Diamond Antenna.

The price was only $34.00 and it arrived in two weeks although the company specified 4-6 weeks delivery. I am very pleased with the Austin Antenna 500C and would recommend one to other hams. Why pay $150.00 for a Diamond or Comet Dual Band Antenna when you can purchase the Austin Antenna 500C and get comparable quality for only $34.00 plus shipping?

W1ZAP Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2007 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Austin 500C rocks!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Austin 500C replaced a very fine Wilson 5/8 wave 2m magmount unit which I had located on the trunk of my Crown Victoria for about 2 years. I installed the 500C in the center of the roof using a Larsen NMO mount 3 months ago. The 500C gives me a better signal on 2m (functioning as a quarter-wave radiator) than my old Wilson, which means I don't "run out of string" in my regular commutes around Rhode Island - even in the southwestern hilly part of the state. I will be getting a dual-band mobile and will test the 70cm performance (the 500C is a 1/2 wave on 70cm) soon. The sturdiness of the machined aluminum mount and the attention to assembly detail lead me to believe I will have this antenna for a very long time. The fact that I no longer have to worry about low ceilings in downtown parking garages is just an added bonus. I am recommending this antenna to anyone who asks me about it.

WW1LP Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2005 21:36 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna blew me away! So small yet packs a punch like an antenna twice it's size I also own a Austin Spectra mobile antenna for my Yaesu 8900. It's blows away any Japeneese tri-band mobile antenna's.I have to Hand it to Dick Austin. He designed a wonderful piece of gear.

KA3NXN Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2005 18:50 Send this review to a friend
AWSOME!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put it side by side to a Diamond 7900 which is 62" tall and 3x the cost. Believe it or not the Diamond did not hold a candle to the 500C. This is an amazing antenna. I have replaced all my mobile antenns with the Austin antennas. I have also replaced my scanner antenna with a Spectra by Austin. It works very very well in the mobile, from 40-900MHz. I am impressed.

K1DJW Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2005 19:19 Send this review to a friend
I still can't believe it !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What great value. At $32.95, it is equal and in many cases superior to antennas 2 to nearly 3 times that price. Driving in Connecticut, you have rolling hills in the east and west, and flat areas in the center and shore. This antenna works everywhere in the state, my 2/70C, C767 or SG7500 do not. I now have 2 of these antennas, soon to be 3 (I have 3 vehicles). I still can't believe it !! I switch antennas around once in a while to prove to myself that this antenna is for real. I still find it hard to believe this 18" antenna is better than ones twice that length, but ears and a meter don't lie.

N3QT Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2005 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Soft Tip Version  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased for a vehicle that would be in parking garage areas a goodly amount of time. The soft tip version is well suited for this environment. If contact is made with overhangs or garage doors, the antenna yeilds to the object.

Performance of the antenna has met my expectations for dual band operation within a large metro area and excursion trips to the outer limits. It is no better or worse than the diamond 770 or Larsen 2/70 NMO. (I drilled the hole for the hole mount NMO.)

N3QT - John