Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4035MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4035MV
MFJ-4035MV Reviews: 50 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $150.
Description: 35 Amp Adjustable Power Supply
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-4035

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4035MV.

KN6Q Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2017 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Good but it sounds like a jet fighter taking off  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've purchased a new MFJ-4035MV (from Gigaparts) a little over two weeks ago.

I did this knowingly after seeing all the reviews with the fan being loud (on the MFJ product page it says "Whisper quiet fan speed increases as load current increases"). I was setting it next to my AL-811, which already had (what I considered) a loud fan, so I thought, how bad could it be? Maybe these other hams are overly sensitive?

When I first powered it on, I thought that it wasn't loud at all - then I keyed up my radio. It honesty startled me, and immediately un-keyed the mic.

It is loud. Orders of magnitude louder than my AL-811. I guess I've gotten used it now, so I'm not sure if/when I'm going to modify it (several suggestions in the reviews below).

Now - aside from that - it's an awesome power supply. You get all advantages of linear power supply, and it costs half the price of any of the others I saw. The cigarette lighter adapter is handy, I plug a USB charger into it.

It's a brick house that I expect to give me many years of service. It just sounds like a jet taking off when you key up.

KD2BOR Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2017 02:38 Send this review to a friend
VERY NOISY FAN OTHER WISE GOOD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HERES WHAT I DID ORDERED FROM EBAY NUMBER 151880324711 LOW AMP FAN CONTROLLER WIRED 12 VOLT NG +POSS TO UNIT UNPLUGGED FAN FROM BOARD +HOOKUP TO UNIT DRILLED HOLE HAFT INCH FROM MFJ NAME MOUNT CONTROLLER-SET DIAL TO NINE OCLOCK ERERY THING QUIET +COOL-THIS WILL WORK ON ANY NOISY SUPPLY

VA1WAB Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2016 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value for the price 100% satisfied with this unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I first considered the MFJ-4035MV and after I read the reports here on eHam Net and read all the complaints about the fan noise I decided not to buy it. However due to budget restraint(was purchasing a new transceiver also)I reconsidered. My research showed that the earlier units were built offshore, these later and present power supplies are being built in the USA.
1 The voltage adjustment does have a d-tent set at 13.8 so brushing against it does not change the voltage setting
2 The fan on mine is whisper quiet (can't hear it even on TX but a paper in front of the air outlet at the back shows that it is running). Two non important things to me, not a complaint (1) I would prefer the 35 amp outlet on the back of the unit. (2) although not necessary the meters could be lighted. I give it a 5 because it looks good, does the job and is quiet

KD6ET Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2015 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Add a pot to adjust fan noise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll post pictures later. This is the safest amp for your expensive equipment. It has a massive old school transformer and crow bar safety circuit (rig will never see more than 18 V if regulator fails, not 120 V when a switcher fails) plus a state of the art massive V regulation circuit. The FAN NOISE was an oversight because they assumed it was to be an off bench unit at continuous 35 Amp. Not necessary when used as a ham station. I'll do some testing and find wich POT to install in the front panel to slow the fan when a continuous 35 Amp draw is not necessary (like in SSB or CW). The heat sink is also massive and I'll bet that on normal net use, the fan isn't even necessary.

WA7OPY Rating: 0/5 Dec 23, 2014 17:14 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought it new, then didnt use it until is was 12 mo old,My mistake. Fan runs full speed all the time, what a racket. Voltage was bounceing all over the meter until you hit it on the top. (Bad joints)Now it shuts down on OC at 5 amps. I just dont trust it to power a 2k trans. No help from mfj to old for free repair by 12 days and I would have to pay the shipping both ways 50$ I will use it for a batt charger. Real cheap parts inside with pp soldering. Will buy something else to replace it

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Worked great, lasted a long time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my review 16 years ago.

" I bought mine new in 1998 and has not given me any trouble at all. It gets used every day, it ran a repeater for about year, out side ! With it's different power hook-up's this power supply is very useful in the shack, yes the fan is a little noisy. I discovered something interesting, I noticed that the MFJ on the upper left side and the model number on the upper right side were stickers. When I removed them it showed " Zurich " and " DPS-3012M ". So this explains why it's still working !"

Today while using a TM-71A at 50 watts the transceiver was shutting down. The voltage meter was dropping to 9 volts. I connected the 71A to another PS and it worked fine. All and all can't complain after 16 years of daily use.

WB4M Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2014 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Noisy but does the job.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for years, but haven't used it much. As others have mentioned, fan noise is unacceptable. The fan on mine comes on when you switch the power on, under zero load, and never stops until you turn it off. Too bad, otherwise it works fine, has 2 large meters, variable v. output, plenty of different types of connectors. I've never put it under a demanding load so can't comment about that. I really don't need it so think I'll just sell it, hi.

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only been a HAM for 23 years. I've had two ASTRON RS-35M die, tho one of them died in a flood. So I bought a ALINCO DM-340MVT supply (big transformer). It lasted 7 years, till it took a lightning strike to the primary of the transformer. So I ordered another DM-340MVT. It overheated and died. Opened it up. The fan blade had come detached from the fan shroud and the fan was stuck in the wiring. Sent it back.

Got a MFJ-4035MV. Opened it up because it was a MFJ. It is made exactly like the ALINCO! But it is $30 cheaper, and no 3 prong plug.

The fan works too well. It is a little noisy. You start putting a load on it, it takes off like a C-130 FAN. And if you follow Bob Heil's "view" of grounding a shack, you don't want the supply grounded to the house wiring and noise.

Needs lighted meters.

K2LCN Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2014 10:29 Send this review to a friend
K2LCN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently overhauled my MFJ 4035mv. All the parts have NTE replacements. The circuits use op amps to control the supply. Wires on the circuit board are long enough to allow troubleshooting. I rate it number one for servicability.

KD5OM Rating: 1/5 May 17, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Piece of Crappolla  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Right of the bat, the 35 amp terminals were never tightened down. Both post wiggled right out of the box brand new. Good thing I know how to use a wrench. Maybe Marvin needs to have a class over there in the proper use of tools. And yepper, my fan is LOUD too. I guess I'm going to have to do the series resistor n=modification to quieten it down. It is a sad state when you get home with a new item and I have to do bench repairs before the new smell wears off. Oh I agree, a 3 prong plug with a ground lug might have cost Mr. Jung a few more cents but it would have really been nice to have it electrically grounded.