Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4035MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4035MV
MFJ-4035MV Reviews: 48 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $150.
Description: 35 Amp Adjustable Power Supply
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-4035

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4035MV.

VA1WAB Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2016 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value for the price 100% satisfied with this unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I first considered the MFJ-4035MV and after I read the reports here on eHam Net and read all the complaints about the fan noise I decided not to buy it. However due to budget restraint(was purchasing a new transceiver also)I reconsidered. My research showed that the earlier units were built offshore, these later and present power supplies are being built in the USA.
1 The voltage adjustment does have a d-tent set at 13.8 so brushing against it does not change the voltage setting
2 The fan on mine is whisper quiet (can't hear it even on TX but a paper in front of the air outlet at the back shows that it is running). Two non important things to me, not a complaint (1) I would prefer the 35 amp outlet on the back of the unit. (2) although not necessary the meters could be lighted. I give it a 5 because it looks good, does the job and is quiet

KD6ET Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2015 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Add a pot to adjust fan noise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll post pictures later. This is the safest amp for your expensive equipment. It has a massive old school transformer and crow bar safety circuit (rig will never see more than 18 V if regulator fails, not 120 V when a switcher fails) plus a state of the art massive V regulation circuit. The FAN NOISE was an oversight because they assumed it was to be an off bench unit at continuous 35 Amp. Not necessary when used as a ham station. I'll do some testing and find wich POT to install in the front panel to slow the fan when a continuous 35 Amp draw is not necessary (like in SSB or CW). The heat sink is also massive and I'll bet that on normal net use, the fan isn't even necessary.

WA7OPY Rating: 0/5 Dec 23, 2014 17:14 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought it new, then didnt use it until is was 12 mo old,My mistake. Fan runs full speed all the time, what a racket. Voltage was bounceing all over the meter until you hit it on the top. (Bad joints)Now it shuts down on OC at 5 amps. I just dont trust it to power a 2k trans. No help from mfj to old for free repair by 12 days and I would have to pay the shipping both ways 50$ I will use it for a batt charger. Real cheap parts inside with pp soldering. Will buy something else to replace it

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Worked great, lasted a long time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my review 16 years ago.

" I bought mine new in 1998 and has not given me any trouble at all. It gets used every day, it ran a repeater for about year, out side ! With it's different power hook-up's this power supply is very useful in the shack, yes the fan is a little noisy. I discovered something interesting, I noticed that the MFJ on the upper left side and the model number on the upper right side were stickers. When I removed them it showed " Zurich " and " DPS-3012M ". So this explains why it's still working !"

Today while using a TM-71A at 50 watts the transceiver was shutting down. The voltage meter was dropping to 9 volts. I connected the 71A to another PS and it worked fine. All and all can't complain after 16 years of daily use.

WB4M Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2014 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Noisy but does the job.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for years, but haven't used it much. As others have mentioned, fan noise is unacceptable. The fan on mine comes on when you switch the power on, under zero load, and never stops until you turn it off. Too bad, otherwise it works fine, has 2 large meters, variable v. output, plenty of different types of connectors. I've never put it under a demanding load so can't comment about that. I really don't need it so think I'll just sell it, hi.

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only been a HAM for 23 years. I've had two ASTRON RS-35M die, tho one of them died in a flood. So I bought a ALINCO DM-340MVT supply (big transformer). It lasted 7 years, till it took a lightning strike to the primary of the transformer. So I ordered another DM-340MVT. It overheated and died. Opened it up. The fan blade had come detached from the fan shroud and the fan was stuck in the wiring. Sent it back.

Got a MFJ-4035MV. Opened it up because it was a MFJ. It is made exactly like the ALINCO! But it is $30 cheaper, and no 3 prong plug.

The fan works too well. It is a little noisy. You start putting a load on it, it takes off like a C-130 FAN. And if you follow Bob Heil's "view" of grounding a shack, you don't want the supply grounded to the house wiring and noise.

Needs lighted meters.

K2LCN Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2014 10:29 Send this review to a friend
K2LCN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently overhauled my MFJ 4035mv. All the parts have NTE replacements. The circuits use op amps to control the supply. Wires on the circuit board are long enough to allow troubleshooting. I rate it number one for servicability.

KD5OM Rating: 1/5 May 17, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Piece of Crappolla  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Right of the bat, the 35 amp terminals were never tightened down. Both post wiggled right out of the box brand new. Good thing I know how to use a wrench. Maybe Marvin needs to have a class over there in the proper use of tools. And yepper, my fan is LOUD too. I guess I'm going to have to do the series resistor n=modification to quieten it down. It is a sad state when you get home with a new item and I have to do bench repairs before the new smell wears off. Oh I agree, a 3 prong plug with a ground lug might have cost Mr. Jung a few more cents but it would have really been nice to have it electrically grounded.

KD6ET Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Works as described - low fan noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this one because it had a full size transformer rated way beyond any demand I had. I don't understand why it's listed as a switching supply (type-o maybe?). I have a switcher rated at 30 amps and I think I hear some noise from it on receive but nothing using the 4035. It contains a full wave bridge rectifier and an 18 pound transformer followed by extensive regulation equipment. This one meets the old time standard for a quality DC supply I'm used to and glad to see this type is still available but, getting a little hard to find. It's weight is no problem since it will set on the table end or floor. I do not understand the fan noise comments. Unless mine is different, the only time I hear it is when the radio audio is turned all the way down, otherwise it's a lot quieter than the base level radio audio. I'm use to full limit linears and yes they're too noise for in-shack use on SSB. Mine goes up in the attic near the antenna.

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2012 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this supply as my backup supply,test supply & too run my 6 meter FM rig.It works just fine but the fan is pretty loud & never turns off.I cut the power wire for the fan & am planning on adding a variable speed control since it stays pretty cool anyway & does NOT need the fan most of the time.I think it should have a temp setting like my ASTRON RS-70M but it does not.It was FREE so I am not complaining.May add some lights to the meters as well in the future for my OLD eyes! {:>)