Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4035MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4035MV
MFJ-4035MV Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $150.
Description: 35 Amp Adjustable Power Supply
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-4035

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4035MV.

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Worked great, lasted a long time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my review 16 years ago.

" I bought mine new in 1998 and has not given me any trouble at all. It gets used every day, it ran a repeater for about year, out side ! With it's different power hook-up's this power supply is very useful in the shack, yes the fan is a little noisy. I discovered something interesting, I noticed that the MFJ on the upper left side and the model number on the upper right side were stickers. When I removed them it showed " Zurich " and " DPS-3012M ". So this explains why it's still working !"

Today while using a TM-71A at 50 watts the transceiver was shutting down. The voltage meter was dropping to 9 volts. I connected the 71A to another PS and it worked fine. All and all can't complain after 16 years of daily use.

WB4M Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2014 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Noisy but does the job.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for years, but haven't used it much. As others have mentioned, fan noise is unacceptable. The fan on mine comes on when you switch the power on, under zero load, and never stops until you turn it off. Too bad, otherwise it works fine, has 2 large meters, variable v. output, plenty of different types of connectors. I've never put it under a demanding load so can't comment about that. I really don't need it so think I'll just sell it, hi.

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only been a HAM for 23 years. I've had two ASTRON RS-35M die, tho one of them died in a flood. So I bought a ALINCO DM-340MVT supply (big transformer). It lasted 7 years, till it took a lightning strike to the primary of the transformer. So I ordered another DM-340MVT. It overheated and died. Opened it up. The fan blade had come detached from the fan shroud and the fan was stuck in the wiring. Sent it back.

Got a MFJ-4035MV. Opened it up because it was a MFJ. It is made exactly like the ALINCO! But it is $30 cheaper, and no 3 prong plug.

The fan works too well. It is a little noisy. You start putting a load on it, it takes off like a C-130 FAN. And if you follow Bob Heil's "view" of grounding a shack, you don't want the supply grounded to the house wiring and noise.

Needs lighted meters.

K2LCN Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2014 10:29 Send this review to a friend
K2LCN  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently overhauled my MFJ 4035mv. All the parts have NTE replacements. The circuits use op amps to control the supply. Wires on the circuit board are long enough to allow troubleshooting. I rate it number one for servicability.

KD5OM Rating: 1/5 May 17, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Piece of Crappolla  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Right of the bat, the 35 amp terminals were never tightened down. Both post wiggled right out of the box brand new. Good thing I know how to use a wrench. Maybe Marvin needs to have a class over there in the proper use of tools. And yepper, my fan is LOUD too. I guess I'm going to have to do the series resistor n=modification to quieten it down. It is a sad state when you get home with a new item and I have to do bench repairs before the new smell wears off. Oh I agree, a 3 prong plug with a ground lug might have cost Mr. Jung a few more cents but it would have really been nice to have it electrically grounded.

KD6ET Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2012 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Works as described - low fan noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this one because it had a full size transformer rated way beyond any demand I had. I don't understand why it's listed as a switching supply (type-o maybe?). I have a switcher rated at 30 amps and I think I hear some noise from it on receive but nothing using the 4035. It contains a full wave bridge rectifier and an 18 pound transformer followed by extensive regulation equipment. This one meets the old time standard for a quality DC supply I'm used to and glad to see this type is still available but, getting a little hard to find. It's weight is no problem since it will set on the table end or floor. I do not understand the fan noise comments. Unless mine is different, the only time I hear it is when the radio audio is turned all the way down, otherwise it's a lot quieter than the base level radio audio. I'm use to full limit linears and yes they're too noise for in-shack use on SSB. Mine goes up in the attic near the antenna.

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2012 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this supply as my backup supply,test supply & too run my 6 meter FM rig.It works just fine but the fan is pretty loud & never turns off.I cut the power wire for the fan & am planning on adding a variable speed control since it stays pretty cool anyway & does NOT need the fan most of the time.I think it should have a temp setting like my ASTRON RS-70M but it does not.It was FREE so I am not complaining.May add some lights to the meters as well in the future for my OLD eyes! {:>)

K5YZS Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2012 08:07 Send this review to a friend
OK for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the MFJ-4035MV for over 4 years and
the only troule was the noisy fan. I put a resistor in series with the fan positive lead and
reduced the noise quite a bit. Big and heavy and
no problems supplying my ICOM-756 and a couple of
other low current needs. I would have given it a
5 rating, if not for the fan noise.
73 Jim, retired engineer, K5YZS

NV5E Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2012 17:51 Send this review to a friend
LOUD!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This one is going right back to the dealer. The fans are too loud even when using headphones. The other issue is using a 2 wire power cord and not providing a grounding stud. How hard would it have been to use a 3 prong plug or providing an easy way to ground the case. Poor design and execution.

KB3FTE Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2011 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Noisy, but otherwise OK.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this power supply at the end of 2000 and have used it for the last 11 years (moderate to heavy use for the first 2 years and last 3 years, very light use in between.) The fan has always been very noisy.
This past year the supply started periodically making a loud buzzing sound not related to the fan. Powering off and on would stop that noise. When the supply starting providing inconsistent voltage several weeks ago I stopped using it and ordered a supply from a different manufacturer. This MFJ was not bad for the money, however, if I had to make the choice again I would spend a bit more and get a better made, quieter power supply.