Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | MFJ-4035MV Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-4035MV
MFJ-4035MV Reviews: 48 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $150.
Description: 35 Amp Adjustable Power Supply

You can write your own review of the MFJ-4035MV.

K5YZS Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2012 08:07 Send this review to a friend
OK for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the MFJ-4035MV for over 4 years and
the only troule was the noisy fan. I put a resistor in series with the fan positive lead and
reduced the noise quite a bit. Big and heavy and
no problems supplying my ICOM-756 and a couple of
other low current needs. I would have given it a
5 rating, if not for the fan noise.
73 Jim, retired engineer, K5YZS
NV5E Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2012 17:51 Send this review to a friend
LOUD!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This one is going right back to the dealer. The fans are too loud even when using headphones. The other issue is using a 2 wire power cord and not providing a grounding stud. How hard would it have been to use a 3 prong plug or providing an easy way to ground the case. Poor design and execution.
KB3FTE Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2011 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Noisy, but otherwise OK.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this power supply at the end of 2000 and have used it for the last 11 years (moderate to heavy use for the first 2 years and last 3 years, very light use in between.) The fan has always been very noisy.
This past year the supply started periodically making a loud buzzing sound not related to the fan. Powering off and on would stop that noise. When the supply starting providing inconsistent voltage several weeks ago I stopped using it and ordered a supply from a different manufacturer. This MFJ was not bad for the money, however, if I had to make the choice again I would spend a bit more and get a better made, quieter power supply.
KG4GYS Rating: 1/5 Nov 24, 2011 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
>Wish I wouldn't have bought it. The cooling fan is too loud. I can't put the power supply on my desk because it is so loud. This makes the large meters irrelevant because I can't see them when the PS is under my desk. Even then, the PS is still too loud. MFJ sent me a replacement fan. It's just as loud. It was also hard to replace. The first turn of an allen wrench stripped two of the mounting screws.
AK4BL Rating: 1/5 Aug 22, 2011 12:23 Send this review to a friend
My last purchase from MFJ  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My MFJ coffee cup works as advertised. Can't say that for this power supply.

I opened the box up and was surprised to see a two-prong power cord.

Opened the unit up to add a 3-prong cord. Found many cold solder joints. The internal mechanical layout was not professional.

Noisy with even a light load.
WA8JXM Rating: 0/5 Jun 29, 2011 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Way too noisy!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Seems like a good solid power supply with nice connection long as you can put it in another room! The fan noise, even just running 20 watts, is unbearable even while wearing headphones.

I called MFJ support about the noise and he admitted that their catalog claim about "whisper quiet" was "somewhat misleading".

I have replaced it with an Astron RS-35M which IS quiet!
KD6WKY Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2011 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Good PS, Lasts a Long Time  Time owned: more than 12 months
My MFJ-4035MV has lasted me seven years. It finally failed on me during a QSO with VA7QB this evening. It has been slowly reducing power output over the past six months but was still stable enough to use. I liked it. I'll shop around now and look for another PS, I may buy another one, I have not decided yet.
KC8IMB Rating: 4/5 Jan 1, 2011 06:50 Send this review to a friend
11+ years with a Zurich.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this as my main station supply since 1999, so it's a Zurich DPS-3012M with MFJ stickers. I have had NO trouble with the supply, besides a noisy fan (that's been mentioned several times, hasn't it?). The original design is based on a current sensing circuit. If you just had your rig on in RX only, the supply would get very hot. I modified with a temperature sensing circuit. That's really the only reason I gave this review a 4. Something like that probably should have been designed into the PS in the first place. Not sure how the Quality is on recent models, but if you find an older one and the price is right - go for it!
W8EZI Rating: 1/5 Oct 7, 2010 10:29 Send this review to a friend
poor design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only owned this for a week. The fan is too noisy in the shack to work SSB. I looked on the web and found a sort of fix. Put 2 or three diodes in series with the fan. I did that. When I took off the cover to do this mod I found the transformer was hot. I had it on for several hours with no load on it. The transformer should not be that hot. Looking at the design inside, it sucks. Design thrown together by an untrained engineer.

The fan is triggered by a sudden current draw and then runs for a fixed amount of time. Way too long. It should have been set up to run from heat generated by the regulators. A simple "hello" from your rig will cause this fan to run several minutes.

It looks pretty on the outside with the meters, but save your money. On this one they lived up to their name of Mighty Fine Junk. I feel like I got conned.
K3DAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2010 03:15 Send this review to a friend
Heavy duty, works great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The one thing that I will agree on with all the other reviewers is the fan is loud and annoying. If that is MFJ's idea of a whisper fan, their regular fans must sound like a freight train. I ended up putting the unit in the next room on the other side of the wall from the radio gear. The power cords from the radios are long enough to go around under the door next to the bench, and to the power supply. That took care of the noise problem.

I would have liked it to have a grounded AC plug, but I grounded the case with a 12Ga wire to a banana plug that fits nicely into the ground hole of the AC wall socket. So that problem is solved also.

As for the performance, I can not complain at all. I run an Icom 746PRO for my main radio. I also run an Icom 706MKIIG on the side as a back-up or radio to scan and monitor other frequencies. Both radios are connected to the MFJ-4035MV and work well together. (I never TX both radios at the same time.) The 746PRO always has full power with no drop in voltage from the supply. I have a DC volt meter on the bench to keep tabs on it. The supply always stays cool after hours of DX'ing with 100 watts.

I have had this power supply for about 5 years now, and so far, it seems like a good heavy duty unit. I like the many ways to connect to it. I use gold plated banana plugs to connect the 746PRO to the 5-way binding posts, and the 706MKIIG wires are stuck through the holes in the posts with the nuts screwed tight against them. The cig lighter socket, and the "push-down and insert" poles have come in handy a few times to test a few things. I have my bench volt meter connected to one of the "push-down and insert" poles.

For under $180, this is a great unit. 35 amps with a 38 amp surge is more than I need. The unit weighs a ton (it seems) so it has a heavy duty transformer. I see the 2 problems of the noisy fan and no grounded plug, as minor details that can be easily fixed. Put the unit in another room, and run a ground wire. It only takes a few minutes to do.

Many people do not know how to treat a power supply, and end up having many problems without knowing why. Never make changes to connections with the unit turned on. The power supply should always be the first device to be turned on, and last device to be turned off. When turning the supply on, wait about 20 seconds for the supply to stablize, then turn on the radio. No device connected to the supply should be turned on when turning the supply on or off. This causes surges and can kill the transistors and bridge rectifier in the supply. Always make sure that every connection to the supply and the radio are solid and tight with proper sized wires. Bad or poor connections cause arching and static which can also kill the unit. If you treat the supply correctly and take care of it, it will serve you well for many years.

I know 4 people who have had the same good performance as I have gotten with the MFJ-4035MV. After 5 years of great service, if this unit dies, I will buy another one just like it.