Reviews Categories | Transverters | Hamtronics CA144-28 RX downconverter Help

Reviews Summary for Hamtronics CA144-28 RX downconverter
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $59 kit
Description: Series of 2MHz bandwidth 2m->10m downconverters
More info: http://www.hamtronics.com

You can write your own review of the Hamtronics CA144-28 RX downconverter.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2014 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Great with a SDR rx  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my fourth review:
I have the Funcube and RTL SDR which work well once I use helical filters as a preselector. I have then used very little this converter. That's a real pity as I think it makes a great setup especially with the Softrock RX Ensemble II SDR and SDRSharp software. The signal handling mainly depends on the RX Ensemble. Deep image rejection is assured by SDRSharp. And the last but not the least, the CA144-28 can be put just under the antenna.
Also the alignment of the converter can be much easier if you use a SDR receiver. Just see the spectrum when adjust the coils.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2010 16:18 Send this review to a friend
not bad at all!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works fine, could perfectly align even with a beacon. Can be put just under the antenna so you have a filtered down converter with some gain at less the price than just a preamplifier. Works fine all modes!

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 3/5 Jun 15, 2010 06:54 Send this review to a friend
needs a signal generator  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had assembled it very carefully. I obtained the expected voltages at the test points, this unit was possible for me to align only after using a signal generator. The tuning slugs are many and I was able to tune it peaking each coil one by one. In the end it works as it should, I think.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 0/5 Sep 1, 2009 07:03 Send this review to a friend
a big 0!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had assembled it very carefully. I obtained the expected voltages at the test points, but this unit is impossible for me to align. You need a signal generator, to play with the tuning slugs and being very lucky you don't get, in the meanwhile, too old to enjoy it. Tuning slugs are just too many. In the manual there is a table with dc voltages to measure at different points, but in some of these points I need to pull out and in the crystal I had soldered! I had successfully built many kits, I had great expectations about this kit, I thought I had a good manual to troubleshoot, and instead I discovered this kit is a big loss of time and performance!