Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Elecraft KAT100 Automatic Antenna Tuner Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KAT100 Automatic Antenna Tuner Kit
Elecraft KAT100 Automatic Antenna Tuner Kit Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $239
Description: The KAT100 handles up to 150W and is the ideal companion to the K2 and K2/100 transceivers. It can match a 10:1 SWR with tuner settings stored for each band and each of its dual antenna outputs. 10 LEDs display real time SWR.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KAT100 Automatic Antenna Tuner Kit.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2013 08:21 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, after hunting down and fixing my screwups (should not put an involved kit together late at night and 2 glasses of wine....I'm just saying!) the tuner works and works and works!!

By-the-way, Gary and David at Elecraft were the best in helping me solve my kit-building mistakes....elecraft support is second to none!

If you run a K2, you'll be happy with this tuner.

Cheers All

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2013 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Elecraft did it again with a fantastic product and the best customer support. Who could ask for more. This tuner really works great with my K2. No problems building it. I had some missing parts which Elecraft sent ASAP. Fairly straight forward and most important it really tunes well. Very quick and remembers settings. The only improvement I can think of is to have some way to power it from the K2 instead of a seperate power supply, a wall wart works fine. Elecraft really makes great stuff, I had considered LDG, but the reviews on eham about other auto tuners, made the choice very clear and I am so glad I got this tuner. It is simply Amazing. It tunes better than the Manual tuner and so much easier.

WB8YYY Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2008 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Nice Creature Comfort  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An antenna tuner is not an ideal fix for an imperfect antenna, but it does improve overall station capability with 'real antennas.' I added the KAT100 to my K2 especially for contest operation with my 80m vertical. Its two antenna ports are nice as I currently cover 160, 80 and 40 meters with 2 antennas. It is nice to QSY and have the tuner settings go with the K2. It may be less convenient on the higher bands where my antennas are matched and I wish to bypass the tuner -- but a solution here is a manual antenna switch between the K2 and KAT100. Quality is very nice, and I had great support from Elecraft and the reflector when I experienced a control problem (it likely was a bad solder joint in my K2 that effected only this external device).

NZ0T Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2007 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Great companion for my K2/100  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built my KAT100 about 3 weeks ago and it is everything previous reviews have said it is. It went together very easily (like all Elecraft kits)with only one glitch on my part. It tunes everything I have thrown at it so far and is very easy to use. Another great product from Elecraft!

W2RBA Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2007 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like all Elecraft products, this one is another hit. It went together easily and worked well -- perfectly, in fact -- the first time I powered it up and believe me, I'm no electronics construction whiz. The parts are of first rate quality and the construction manual lives up to Elecraft's standards -- which is to say it's of Heathkit (better, actually) quality. This tuner will tune the lower power K2 quite nicely but I'm using it with the 100 watt PA. It tunes all bands from 160 through 10 meters with my 160m Carolina Windom. *Highly* recommended -- like all Elecraft kits!

G7RZQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2006 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Sweet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Absolutely marvellous!

First time with a new antenna, push TUNE and Bzzzzt Bzzzzt Bzzzzt, 2 seconds later you've got a 1:1 match, 179 combinations tried, or similar. Repeat on each band, and you're sorted.

Best of all, next time you change back to that band, you're ALREADY tuned up, no need to key down or tune up.

Only works with the K2, no use with other rigs, but definitely the sweetest addition to my K2/100 station, already saved me hours of mucking about with the MFJ manual tuner I was borrowing before then.

WA3ELQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2005 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner! Great company!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The KAT100 is an excellent companion to my K2/100. As with other Elecraft kits, the tuner is well engineered and designed for easy assembly. The instructions are well written, with pictures and diagrams to assist. Building the unit takes only a few hours. Alignment is easy to do with basic test equipment (a DVM and a K2).

Once built, the KAT100 connects easily to the K2 and is integrated via the K2 software. Band changes on the K2 also change band settings in the KAT100. The KAT100 is activated whenever TUNE is pressed on the K2, and quickly finds a match. Tuning time varies, depending on the actual antenna SWR, but never takes longer than a few seconds. Memory in the tuner remembers tuner settings, making band changes easy.

My unit has performed flawlessly, matching even when I use the wrong antenna for a band.

The only concern might be the noise of the relays when the tuner is activated. In my installation the noise is somewhat amplified by the metal stand the unit sits on. However, the tuning time is very short so the noise is not a major problem.

One other comment. Elecraft has been a pleasure to work with. It is truly a quality operation. The products are superior (I have several), tech support is excellent, the people in sales and shipping have always been very helpful and very pleasant, and everyone there goes out of their way to take care of the customers. I have worked with a number of companies that cater to the ham market. Some do a better job than others, but no one does it better than Elecraft.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2005 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Another Elecraft Winner!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got this unit to go with my K2/100. It's a quality piece. Went together in minutes (literally, under three hours).

The well-thought-out L network provides wide-range matching with the minimum number of components. Because the parts do the work in less space, theyu were made larger, so, the power rating for this autocoupler is VERY conservative.

Another handy thing is the dual antenna ports. The tuner can remember what setting for each band PER ANTENNA! That makes tuning a fast process. Great for contesting.

The tuning firmware actually finds the best possible match instead of just finding the "first" 1.4:1 or some such, as do many other autocouplers. Bravo to the coder who worked this out.

A compensated directional coupler provides accurate power measurement readings for internal use as well as back to the radio, via the K2 'auxbus' control system.

Just a well-done package. It's priced right, too.

N2WN Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2005 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Easy and Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a variety of tuners, including an LDG AT11-MP and various "manual" versions. The KAT100 has been able to match everything the LDG could, and a couple it couldn't. It's an easy to build kit and interfaces seamlessly with my K2/100 setup. I've used it with verticals, half squares and quads in contests and for DXing with excellent results. Options I'd like to see include an analog meter (sorry but like to see the needle jumpig) and bypass switch. Another fine Elecraft product!

KI4DGH Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2005 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tunner & Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took my time assembling the KAT100, the instructions were very clear and the assembly went together without a hitch. I had one minor problem during the alignment that was very quickly addressed with a short note to Elecraft Support and the Elecraft Reflector. This Tuner is incredibly FAST! I am continuously amazed how fast it tunes. I don't have a separate LCD screen for the KAT100 but the K2 menu provides easy access to review all frequency L/C settings and SWR information. The KAT100 provides me a lighting fast match on my 270 ft loop of 1.0:1 on all bands except 30 meters were I get a 1.3:1.
My previous Automatic Tuner was the MFJ 993. The MFJ 993 was a good tuner, it tuned fast and provided reasonable match from a variety of antennas from 160 to 10 meters. I also liked the memory features and the LCD readout for all of the settings. However after building my Elecraft station I will be selling it to buy more Elecraft Kits.