Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Elecraft KAT100 Automatic Antenna Tuner Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KAT100 Automatic Antenna Tuner Kit
Elecraft KAT100 Automatic Antenna Tuner Kit Reviews: 26 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $239
Description: The KAT100 handles up to 150W and is the ideal companion to the K2 and K2/100 transceivers. It can match a 10:1 SWR with tuner settings stored for each band and each of its dual antenna outputs. 10 LEDs display real time SWR.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KAT100 Automatic Antenna Tuner Kit.

KI4DGH Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2005 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Tunner & Kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took my time assembling the KAT100, the instructions were very clear and the assembly went together without a hitch. I had one minor problem during the alignment that was very quickly addressed with a short note to Elecraft Support and the Elecraft Reflector. This Tuner is incredibly FAST! I am continuously amazed how fast it tunes. I don't have a separate LCD screen for the KAT100 but the K2 menu provides easy access to review all frequency L/C settings and SWR information. The KAT100 provides me a lighting fast match on my 270 ft loop of 1.0:1 on all bands except 30 meters were I get a 1.3:1.
My previous Automatic Tuner was the MFJ 993. The MFJ 993 was a good tuner, it tuned fast and provided reasonable match from a variety of antennas from 160 to 10 meters. I also liked the memory features and the LCD readout for all of the settings. However after building my Elecraft station I will be selling it to buy more Elecraft Kits.

K2TA Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2005 02:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner in compact package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I gave it a 5 because I have no complaints about the unit and am impressed that the Elecraft 2D connectors allow for many possibilities in construction. This mates with the K2/100 perfectly. The K2 remembers settings for every band and for 2 separate antennas. If you tie the 2 ant. jacks together (I added a switch in the KAT-100) you can get 2 settings per band. I use ANT-1 for CW and ANT-2 for SSB with an Array Solutions WX0B Rat-Pak remote antenna switch feeding ANT-1.

The KAT-100 can be made an integral part of the K2/100 itself. I added a 2nd cooling fan "just in case" and the combined units run very cool under heavy use.

Easier to build...big fat torroids make it easier to wind than some of the small ones in the K2 or KPA-100.

Elecraft is what Heathkit would have evolved into had it survived. Old fashioned personal service. Response to user feedback. Great technology at a reasonable price.

Fun to build and use too.

Here's my K2/100 with the KAT-100 built in...

K0WA Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2004 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Device  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
All I can say is that this is an amazing tuner. Quick and easy. Matches about anything I can throw at it. Two antennas with memory. Just an amazing device in a very small package. The only thing that I had to get use to is the racket it makes when it tunes. You can dampen the sound with some material found at audio shops. Great device. I like L-matches because they match a wide range of impedances and they can be acurately set again.

K9YC Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2004 16:29 Send this review to a friend
The Contester's Tuner!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great tuner! It has inputs for two antennas, and the microprocessor remembers last setting for each antenna on each band. It's an L-section tuner, which means that it tends to maintain a good match over a much wider bandwidth than other types of tuners.

The K2/100, combined with this tuner, is a wonderful rig for CW contesting, DX chasing, and general operating. The only thing that would make it better is a third antenna input!

Like any tuner, the tuning range is not infinite, although it is quite good. There are some antennas that it just won't tune. When I run into that situation (as I did this winter when I found myself with shorted coax on my main antenna and weather that doesn't let me change it) I stick a manual tuner between the KAT100 and the antenna. The combination always finds a match, even with awful antennas.

Jim Brown K9YC

K1XM Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2003 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Fine K2/100 addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had arranged to operate the 2003 CQ WW CW contest from VP9GE's station in Bermuda. The antennas consisted of a G5RV and a small triband beam.

A couple weeks before leaving I bought the KAT100. It was easy to build. I had to replace several microprocessors in the K2/100 because my firmware was too old. This gave me a chance to do the latest mods and to re-tighten the final amplifier transisitors.

The KAT100 was easy to build (I ordered pre-wound toroids) and was done in a day. I found it more pleasant to construct than the K2. It worked 100% the first time I turned it on. This was good, as I finished it on Friday, packed it on Saturday, and arrived in Bermuda the next Wednesday.

In Bermuda I connected the two antennas to the transmatch. For some reason the transmatch could not load the G5RV on 20 meters, but everything else was fine. If that mattered I would have added a few feet of coax to the G5RV which probably would have fixed it. As it was, I used the beam on 20.

This arrangement allowed me to QSY instantly to any band, which is otherwise not possible with a G5RV. It was great.

KD5UVF Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2003 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely the best!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've used the unit with my k2/100 for approx. 3 months and have found it to be flawless (and very fast). The kit was easy to build (including winding the toroids) and when I made a mistake and soldered an IC in backwards a call to Elecraft got me instructions on what to do and a new part by mail in several days. I could not praise the service I've received from Elecraft too highly.

KQ9L Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2003 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Lives up to the Elecraft tradition  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well having owned the excellent LDG AT11-MP, I was sketical that another auto tuner could match its abilities. I bought the KAT100 because I wanted to built it into an external case with my 100w PA and have an all Elecraft station. I have been pleasantly surprized that this tuner can match anything that the LDG could and in addition do so in less time!

With the KAT100, I get 1:1 - 1:3 SWR on 10-80m with my eclectic blend of attic mounted and long wire antennas. The tuner remembers its last match per band and PER ANTENNA, a great feature for a multiantenna setup.

Just another great product from Elecraft which lives up to the fine tradition of Elecraft products.

73 Rich

K9FTB Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2003 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Value & Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I built the KAT100 into the EC-2 matching K2 enclousre along with the 100 Watt amp, KPA100.

The KAT100 works very well and is very fast. I've matched all sorts of test antennas and it almost always ends up below 2.0 to 1, most often 1.0 to 1.0. Using this guy with the KPA100 and the K2 is a combination that is very capable, small, rugged, and gives me the satisfaction of knowing that I built it. The support on the Elecraft reflector is super as is the company. During assembly I broke a connector. I sent an email and within 3 days had the no charge replacement.

I've configured my K2 with the KAT2 internal QRP tuner inside the K2. So when operating at home, the KAT2 QRP tuner is bypassed and the K2 uses the KAT100 / KPA100 combo in the separate enclosure. This enables a drop and go situation to grab the K2, with internal battery, and run QRP in the field, just by disconnecting a few cables. Super flexibility.

The performance is great, the value is great, and the company is great. I'd higly recommend this tuner for use with the K2/100!!

AE6CP Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2003 13:54 Send this review to a friend
What can I say, it's an Elecraft  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm the coolest ham on my block with my K2/KAT/100. No missing parts, great instructions, a blast to build, works great. Thanks again Elecraft.
-Larry AE6CP

W5EI Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2003 00:09 Send this review to a friend
DEFINITELY WORTH THE MONEY  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Building this tuner could not be easier. The instructions are clear, and the KAT100 worked great the first time I tried it. My antenna is a W9INN dipole tuned for 160-80-40 meters. The KAT100 will tune to 1.1 SWR every time on any band through 10 meters. I did encounter a slight problem trying to tune at high power (>10 watts) on 17 meters. Adding a short length of coax fixed the problem. Instant band change is now the order of the day, and I could not be happier with the KAT100. If you have a K2/100, this tuner is a natural fit.