Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | MorseCat by DK5SCI Help

Reviews Summary for MorseCat by DK5SCI
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: A free Windows Morse code trainer for beginners and experts

More info: http://www.morsecat.de/

You can write your own review of the MorseCat by DK5SCI.

WA2ASB Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 01:01 Send this review to a friend
Great program for practicing code groups  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm currently stuck in a hotel with nothing but a laptop. I wanted to bring the MFJ-414, but didn't have room in the suitcases.

After doing a search, I came across MorseCat and installed it. I plugged my headset into the USB port and to my dismay heard nothing. I'd used same headset in the past and tried it on wife's laptop, and the headset worked there. To make a long story short: the problem was with Windows XP caused by the "Fix" for KB2868038. Uninstalling the fix brought Morsecat alive.

What I really like the most about Morsecat is the variable length code groups. The 5 letter code groups date back to the old crypto days and you get into a rhythm where you can copy them faster than you can plain text. With the variable length code groups you can't anticipate the pauses so it is more like straight text.

Kudos to the author of this program and for his generosity in making it freeware.

ZL2KE Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2013 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Free, Easy, Full Featured  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a CW OP for 50 years. Recently I set a new personal challenge - to increase my RX speed more than 22 wpm. Morse Cat is a great program, quick to download, easy to set up, and you can customise it to your needs.

If you have not yet had a CW QSO, use Morse Cat for 10 minutes a day and after several weeks you will be ready to go on the air. If you lack confidence, join SKCC (free ham cw club) and you will find those that will help you.

I have run Morse Cat on WinXP and Win7 64 bit without problems.

M0CUQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2007 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Passed!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very late review, but I came across the Morsecat listing when I was looking for other software reviews and just couldn't leave without sending in a review. I used Morsecat as part of my preparation for the 12wpm test back in 2000. It was an enormous help. I mainly used it for listening to random groups, but the ability to send text files was useful. The program was easy to use and ran well on my windows 98 laptop. I would definitely recommend it, and being free there is no loss!

Lastly I would like to thank DK5SCI and his cat for making CW easy.

AD5GX Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2004 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Decent Program!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like this program. It'll be a good diversion from some of the others I use. It works fine through the soundcard on a Toshiba Satellite laptop!

AG4RQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2004 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Morse practice aid  Time owned: more than 12 months
Morse Cat is all that the others said it is. It is great software, and it's free. I also have a problem using a sound card with it. That's why I also give it a 4 instead of a 5. I have to use my PC speaker with Morse Cat, as no sound can be made to come out of my sound card on either of my computers. One is an AMD K6-2 350 MHz homebrew machine running Windows 98 with a Creative Soundblaster card. The other is an eMachines Celeron 2.5 GHz machine running Windows XP. The sound card is part of the motherboard.

W9GOC Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2004 19:48 Send this review to a friend
The cat's meow!  Time owned: more than 12 months
From a performance usability point, this program is a definite 5 - - the 4 rating comes because of the soundcard support ('compatible' laptop soundcards don't seem to be compatible enough, it seems).
But a shareware author doesn't have to support all the variants of hardware that run Windows !!

Carping aside, this is a Great program to learn Morse, using the Farnsworth and Koch methods. You can tweak the code timing parameters, and select characters for special practice; it will send user specified text files, fixed or variable length code groups, letters only, numbers only, punctuation, mixed, etc. in more combinations than I've managed to use. It can send code for practice tapes, and you have the graphic of the kitty that sends code - - if HE can master Morse, (with a straight key, yet!) you certainly can!

Good luck,
Frederick/W9GOC

WZ7I Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2002 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Has been a significant help  Time owned: more than 12 months
MorseCat is a powerful, free package for learning and improving your Morse receiving skills.

I am currently using it to increase my copying speed by pasting text into the program and then having it sent through the computer speakers with the speed, spacing, and weighting I prefer. I often then record a cassette tape to practice while I commute to work.

Try it you will find it useful regardless of your skill level. This is a real contribution to the ham community by DK5CI.