Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond D-130J discone Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond D-130J discone
Diamond D-130J discone Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $79
Description: 25-1300 MHz Continuous Coverage Super wideband antenna
More info: http://www.rfparts.com

You can write your own review of the Diamond D-130J discone.

K7TTI Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2005 01:42 Send this review to a friend
It'll last.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best Discone for monitoring. Mine is at least 15 years old and it looks and works like brand new. So if you want a receive only antenna that'll last then this is the one to get.

W7RJR Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2003 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna is the best in it's class for general UHF/VHF monitoring. I use it with my Uniden BC780xlt scanner and I am exceptionally pleased with its performance. It went together easily, is solidly constructed and I am convinced it will last a lifetime.

As a BONUS, it happens to work quite well as a transmitting antenna; albeit with zero gain. Mine works just fine on 6 meters for hitting repeaters in the local area. You won't be disappointed with this product!

W7RJR

K3UG Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2003 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Best of it's type, by far..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hands down the antenna of choice, for general purpose monitoring.

If you want to transmit on 6M, put up a 6M antenna.

This antenna is an excellent companion for a serious VHF-UHF monitor receiver.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2003 14:06 Send this review to a friend
Swiss Army Knife  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've read other reviews complaining the antenna won't load up on 6m, among other things. OK, that's not it's best asset, but I wouldn't buy this antenna to use exclusively on 6m, as one person suggested. It's a great antenna for receiving, first of all. It works wonderfully throughout its advertised range. I have no personal experiences transmitting on 6m, but I can give it high marks for its transmitting performance on both 2m and 440. What gives this antenna high marks in my book is the way its made -- the design is rugged and the choice of materials (lots of stainless steel) is excellent. It's a Swiss Army Knife of a VHF/UHF antenna.

WB6JLL Rating: 2/5 Dec 25, 2003 01:07 Send this review to a friend
Fair at best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna to use on 6M as well as UHF. Its UHF performance is fair at best and its 6M FM (52 MHz) performance is poor. My radio will not load into the antenna on 6M and there is no way to tune it. In the metropolitan Los Angeles area, it hears the local UHF repeaters acceptably but really fails to match a simple 1/4 wave dipole. I certainly would not buy it again and plan to sell it shortly.
I have used it, incidentally, as a monitoring antenna and it performs acceptably. But the manufacturer's claim that it can be loaded on 6M is over blown !

VK2ACD Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2003 20:55 Send this review to a friend
JUST BEAUTIFUL  Time owned: more than 12 months
Diamond quality at its best. I use it for 2m, air-band and general scanning. Quality all s/s build, elegant appearance. Has withstood severe storms, still looks new after 2 years up. A great design feature is that the connector is protected inside the main support tube when the antenna is assembled. Highly recommended.

NOLICENSE Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2003 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Bullet Proof Discone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I rate this antenna a 5/5 rating for construction and overall quality. Mine has been up for 1.5 years without a single problem. We live on one of the highest points in the county. During thunderstorms the winds become very strong. This antenna has withstood everything thrown at it and is still going strong. I use a Icom R7000 with it and continue to be very satisfied with the antennas overall performance. I have had 2 other cheaper discone antennas destroyed by storms, no problems with the Diamond.

KB0ETC Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2003 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performace  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best built discone I have seen and very reasonably priced! I have one I currently switch between my dual band Kenwood, and my Yaesu VR-5000 receiver.

This antenna is easy to assemble, very durable and reliable!

Plans include buying another just for the VR-5000 and monitoring.

Marginal performer on 6 meters, SWR is better than advertised and wide band coverage all in one antenna.

Good Job Diamond/RF Parts!

This is why all my mobile antennas are Diamond!

KC5QFE Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2002 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Great all around antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this antenna! I have one put put up at my mother's house when I go to visit. Excellent SWRs on the 6meter, 2meter, and 70cm band. Very easy to put together, and does not take up much space. I have owned this antenna for at least four years, and has never failed me.
Of course, the discone has zero gain, but where else can you find an antenna that covers all bands from 50Mhz to 1300Mhz continuously for less than $100? It sure beats having individual antennas for 50, 144, 220, 440, 900, and 1300. Of course it (obviously) makes a super scanner antenna. You will love this antenna.

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2002 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Great all around ant #2  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have limited ant space here where I rent (lucky). Yet, I have up only two antennas covering 40M through 1.2 Ghz !! One is the Cushcraft R-7 (40-6), the other the Diamond Discone. I considered a multiband 2 -220 - 440 vertical, but in discussion with several V/Uhf types, we agreed that since I do alot of general coverage V/Uhf work plus scanning, the Diamond Discone would be a "no brainer" and offer beter op value than a Ham V/Uhf tribander. It has been up several years now feed with 9913 and offers basic transceive operation on 2m through 1.2 Gig. I can also do some 6M with the internal tuner in my TS-570 (spotting antenna). Diamond also manufactures this antenna for Icom and includes a female "N" connector on that version The Diamond that I have has an arguably lossy (at UHF) SO-239. The "N" female should have been used on all versions in my opinion. Handles 100 W easily.