Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MFJ-1795 10/15/20/40 Meter Vertical Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1795 10/15/20/40 Meter Vertical Antenna
MFJ-1795 10/15/20/40 Meter Vertical Antenna Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: Short top loaded vertical covering 10 through 40 meters
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1795

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1795 10/15/20/40 Meter Vertical Antenna.

WA6BJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2017 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a cool antenna. I've had it for a couple of years and it works well in a restricted neighborhood. I can only operate on the weekends and I take the antenna down during the week. It's easy to do. The key to this antenna--and any other ground-mounted vertical--is a good radial system. I have 60 radials two-tenths of a wavelength long on 40 meters. I use a DXEngineering radial plate to hold the radials and attach the coax. While checking the antenna with an analyzer, I discovered that it has a very low SWR on 6 meters. This past weekend I used the antenna during the June VHF contest and worked stations in Illinois, Oregon, and Texas.

When you use a ground-mounted vertical antenna, you discover that what you do on the ground and under the ground is at least as important as what's in the air. And what's on the ground is more expensive, too.

My only complaint about the antenna is that it doesn't work on 30 meters. I solved that problem this morning when I ordered the 1795W. I will be able to swap antennas with no trouble.

KE0EYJ Rating: 2/5 Jun 7, 2016 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Best Avoided. A Bear to Set Up. Blah Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First off, I have several MFJ products, and like the company for providing so much to us hams over the years. Martin -- hats off to you.

With that said, the MFJ-1795 is a large aluminum turd, otherwise claiming to be an antenna. It does not perform well, and you will spend hours building it, then clipping the many spokes to resonance. We needed an analyzer to do this, of course. In the end, performance has been worse than verticals on all but 15m. Avoid this antenna,

WB5JWI Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2009 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Ant has worked very well on 40 and 20 meters CW and Phone.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The 1795 survived hurricane Ike and continues to work well for me. The MFJ ground plate does its job. During Ike's 120 mph winds the ant was blown over, or hit by debris, but after I straightened out the bent cap it works well. I've worked both coast and WI, IN and IL since Ike so I'm not complaining. Not a beam but an excellent low vis antenna (my reason for buying). MFJ was a great help getting it set up so I do recommend it for your portable/low vis antenna system.

YV5IAL Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2005 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Una antena realmente interesante  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Compre mi Antena Vertical MFJ-1795 para poder instalarla discretamente en el techo del edificio donde habito. Primero, la antena es realmente pequena (la longitud total es de un poco menos de 3 mts.) y parece a una antena de recepcion de television, por lo que pasa desapercibida. Segundo, la antena necesita un sistema de radiales (ground-plane) para poder funcionar (yo utilice 2 radiales por banda). Tercero, resulta un poco engorroso (tardamos 3 dias)ajustar poco a poco y uno por uno los cuatro (4) sombreros de impedancia (es obligatorio primero ajustar los 40 metros, luego 20 m., 15 m y finalmente 10 m.). Cuarto, una vez ajustada la antena la SWR es excelente, no necesito usar antenna-matching para ninguna banda, el ancho de cada banda es realmente bueno y los reportajes que he recibido son muy satisfactorios en las 4 bandas. Sinceramente la recomiendo.

W2BHK Rating: 3/5 Oct 26, 2002 14:31 Send this review to a friend
Good, but could manual skimpy on deminsions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first antenna received and installed rook the better part of a day to install and tune. I could not get the bandwith or anywhere close on 15 and 10 meters. I cantacted MFJ and the furnished a new top section consisting of the loading calls and spoke (for capacity loading). The new top section was installed and retuned. The bandwidth improved on both 15 and 10 meters but, still unable too get 1.2 mhz. at the 2to1 points on 10 meters. The antenna is installed on the MFJ ground mount plate (an additional $100.00). Although the antenna works better and I am basically please, the resonant frequency on 10 meters goes down when the ground is wet vs dry. (very intresting). I will add that MFJ was very helpful and did not charge for the new top loading coil or spokes.
Generally I am pleased but I think that $150 is a bit much.