Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Wellbrook ALA-1530 Active Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Wellbrook ALA-1530 Active Magnetic Loop Antenna
Wellbrook ALA-1530 Active Magnetic Loop Antenna Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $200 £ + charge
Description: Active Magnetic Loop Antenna for medium and short waves listening operations

You can write your own review of the Wellbrook ALA-1530 Active Magnetic Loop Antenna.

AUSSIE Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2011 01:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I already own the Wellbrook-ALA1530/330S recently also bought the 1530L after saw what an excellent performance after i convinced a friend to buy one the key to these loops is to keep them away from buildings 5 metres required and they dont need to be high out of all the loops cannot say one performance better than the other
mainly monitor hf aero/ndb/volmets Andy Ikin has done an excellent job with these loops cannot wait to put them on rotators.
IW7CDL Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2011 07:06 Send this review to a friend
An excellent product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review isn't just for the antenna, please read the complete review;
The ALA-1530S+ a perfect piece of hardware, well built using first quality components and properly assembled.
The perfomance are as expected, AWESOME!
I'm using it connected to my R-5000 and to my TS-590S with a switch.
It makes the difference and it's a HUGE difference compared to my vertical or my dipoles.
What I really want to highlight, which is the main reason of this review, is the professional performance and the great attitude of Andy (Andrew)Ikin.
He followed my order from the very first minute till the delivery of the loop.
There were some issues with the delivery address and he tracked and fixed these issues promptly and I wasn't involved in this process at all.
This is a GREAT example of CUSTOMER CARE.
This behaviour deserves to be disclosed in public.
Thanks a lot Andy.
I raccomend the magnetic loop not only for the performance, the quality and the price but also for the customer care.
4NRADIO Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2011 20:13 Send this review to a friend
An Excellent Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the last few months I've been doing some methodical comparing of the signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio of many stations as heard through the Pixel Technologies RF PRO-1A and Wellbrook Communications ALA1530 active loop antennas. Using the spectrum analyzer qualities of the Perseus SDR receiver I've been able to be very objective on which loop antenna gives the best reception on all the LW, MW, and HF bands.

I've written a detailed review of the two loops which contains S/N charts for all bands, plus a selection of "A-B" comparison MP3 recordings and the original MS Excel spreadsheet file of raw S/N data available for download.

I've sent the review to some DX hobby web sites for possible publication, but Wellbrook has chosen to make the PDF file available now for download from their site:

I hope you find the comparison review useful. It was very interesting and refreshing to use a receiver like Perseus as a S/N measuring tool rather than just making observations "by ear" as I've done for all my previous reviews and articles over the years.
G8NLY Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2011 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Works as described!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using this for some H fields tests as well as listening on the HF bands. Well made, waterproof, recommended for listeners with a restricted space or noisey environments
G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2011 08:36 Send this review to a friend
This small 1m loop is superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The noise level on my 60foot vertical is often S9 on 80 and 160
with the 1530 it is S3 and enables me to copy 100%
signals on 160 and 80 that are almost unreadable on the vertical.

I have now sold my K9AY loops, just too big and noisy in my small plot.

Highly recommended and British too.

73 Rob G3RCE
AUSSIE Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2010 03:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I boght the Wellbrook-ALA1530 Active Magnetic Loop in 2009 out of frustration getting to much noise on hf with no resul finally it has been the best hf receiving antenna starting to enjoy the hobby monitoring hf aero put the antenna up 5 metres high & around the same distance from the house with excellent results will be adding a rotator shortly end a stridsberg passive multicoupler radios i am using are Aor-3000A,Palstar-R30A,Icom-R75 coming soon.
NL7Y Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2008 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On my 120x120' city lot with big trees I have an Inverted-L (about 80' up, 50' out) with five tuned elevated radials for 160M, two dipoles crossed 90 deg for 80M at 65-75', and a 3-el Steppir for 40-6M at only 55'. And all these aerials are exposed to three adjacent power lines within 500' and several commercial businesses, one of which is an electrical supply store with every noise generating lighting appliance known to man lit and on display. My noise level varies typically from S5-9+ on all bands. Naturally, any signals in my noise floor are compromised.

Out of frustration, I recently installed a Wellbrook 1530s+ loop on a mast and TV rotator off the end of my roof at about 27' AGL. So far the ability to hear stations on the low bands 160-40M has been amazing depending upon the band, with typically three S-unit nulls off the sides of the loop towards local point noise sources. And while it generates up to two to three S-unit lower signals off the ends, what I hear on the loop is far more quiet and readable. Stations that I can't hear on 160M from EU on the Inv-L are often Q5 on the loop, presumably due to the reduction in local E-plane hash and RF. It hears directionally within about +- 15 deg on 160-40M, and it appears to have a wider directional sensing window above the 30M band. It often hears as well or better than my 40M Steppir dipole into EU. It's not a Beverage or K9AY loop, but neither is there any room for them. The unit is very well built, expensive, but who cares about price to be able to finally hear better in my environment?

In my experience noise nullers (MFJ 1026 for example) work fine with single-point sources, providing the sense antenna can generate a strong correct signal. But with multiple noise sources about, mine was overwhelmed and relatively useless compared with the Wellbrook loop.

My loop plus some SW listener reviews:
The direct vendor:

73 Gary NL7Y
M0TNX Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2008 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Well worth the money!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always struggled with noise, not just at this QTH, but also at my previous. Having only a small garden seriously hampers my enjoyment of the low bands, with not having enough space to erect full sized antennas for 40 and below. The end feds that I am limited to, are all, as expected, very noisy on receive, I had heard of the Wellbrook but was a bit put out at its 160 plus price tag. However, the old saying "you only get what you pay for" is exceedingly true here. From a one metre wide loop, to be able to hear JA stations on 160 is awesome, coming in at s5-s7 I regularly hear them now on the CW end of the band. 80 metres has also been transformed, my noise level on the end fed is s9, on the wellbrook, s4, sometimes s3 meaning I can now hear across the pond with ease.

If you are struggling with noise, on any HF bands, and want to be able to hear local as well as DX stations, try this loop. The manufacturer, Andy Ikin is a credit to himself, with fast responses to email and phone calls..

A first rate product that may seem expensive, but is well worth every penny, it has transformed my radio and my enjoyment of the hobby.

KB3LGB Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2004 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Great SWL Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After a great deal of research, I purchased the Wellbrook ALA 1530 antenna. This antenna has been used on my 43' Viking Motor Yacht and my current second floor apartment. I devised a PVC pipe support unit for it and this is cheap and effective. The antenna works exremely well for short wave listening and will always be a part of my ham shack. The unit has to be ordered from England, arrived after two weeks at a cost of approximately $275.00 US. The cost is high but this is the antenna for people with physical space problems that want a good antenna. I can only imagine how well it would work outside at 30' to 40' above ground. The low noise level and nulling efect of loops are well documented in the various loop internet articles on the net and Joe Carr's Loop Antenna Handbook. I only wish that one of the American Amataeur Radio stores would stock this antenna.This antenna and an Icom IC-R75 will eanable you to listen to the world!
ONL5183 Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2002 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Fine !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

This review complete the previous one related to the ALA-330 active magnetic loop (see the related article on this site or on my website) as I stated the ALA-1530 was an emission model... what it is not !

Both ALA-1530 and ALA-330 and RECEIVE antenna dedicated to listening purposes in the LW and HF bands between 0.5 and 30 Mhz.

Sole difference, the ALA-1530 is more sensitive to
intermodulation (to the "interferences" caused by strong AM broadcasts located a few dozen or hundred km away). It shoudl also be place at about 10m away from any emitting RTX or TX antenna. Otherwise both antenna display the same design, performances and figures.

Last but not least, a remark. I have to insist on the "deep devotion" of the Director and saleman of Wellbrook, Andy Ikin, to the satisfaction of his customers.
This is the first company that has offered me a very fast service, trying to help me the best he could by email, listening to my suggestions, sending me quicky a full new set and all required information to fix my problem or to answer my questions.
This is a custom-oriented attitude that becomes hard to find on the place and I would like to highlight it.