Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Diamond SX-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SX-1000
Diamond SX-1000 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $225.00
Description: Diamond® Antenna meters measure forward & reflected power and SWR. Illuminated meter (on all models), sensor switch (SX600
& SX1000 only) and LED indicator. Power ratings listed below are for intermittent operations. SX600 and SX1000 are designed
with 2 sensors for multiradio operation. 12 VDC @ 50 mA is required for displays. 6”w x 2”h x 4”d, 2 lbs.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/

You can write your own review of the Diamond SX-1000.

G0FTD Rating: 2/5 Feb 13, 2011 01:17 Send this review to a friend
Appalling build quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine through the UK dealer Waters & Stanton. It was a problem right from the start.

SWR and power readings were all false on all bands. I looked inside to find an disgusting PCB and a connector that had not been plugged in.

I had to rebuild the PCB and eventually got satisfactory performance out of it.

I cannot believe that such poor quality control had been in force by Diamond, or resellers who take for granted that what they are selling is good without inspecting their shipments first.

I now refuse to purchase anything from these guys now. Worst customer experience of my life!

VK5ALX Rating: 0/5 Jun 23, 2010 06:16 Send this review to a friend
poor accuracy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased this one specifically for the 23cm range but it is hopelessly inaccurate. With a 50 ohm dummy load connected it reads an swr of 1.5.
Power output from my IC-910 was shown as 12 watts
A check with my Bird 43 using the same dummy load shows zero reflected and just on 8 watts forward power.
I wanted a smallish meter I could leave connected permanently but this is not the one.
It's now been discontinued - I wonder why?

OE3JTB Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2008 08:23 Send this review to a friend
very good allinone  Time owned: more than 12 months
The SX-1000 is a very good all in one meter with 2 seperate in/outs.
You can use it for hf and vhf without replugging, quite very good measure and built quality.
73 Joe

VE4NSA Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2008 13:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent unit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have used two of these over that last year.

Excellent instruments and great for 23cm. No problems!

AP2RF Rating: 0/5 Jan 25, 2008 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Diamond that is De-Valued !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi
I owned my first SX-1000 in 2003 from Japan.
I used it for 3 years and it really worked great and I really praised for its performance.
One of my HAM friend requested me to sell this unit to him and I sold that unit to him .
I bought another SX-1000 from Japan in early 2007. After few days of use it started giving odd readings.
Wrong power measurement & SWR . I opened the unit and became very sad to see about poor quality components used by
Diamond . I contacted Diamond for their help but they did not replied me regarding this.

I also highlighted diamond antenna Japan about poor quality components , their soldering & rough / worst PCB design that were used in recently bought SX-1000 “Made in 2007 “ keeping in mind that such components were not found in 2003 model. 2003 model was truly made in Japan with highest quality components.

This time Diamond antenna replied me “ Yes we do source Chinese and Taiwanese components and assemble it here”.

Any way I went for SX-400N because SX-1000 was not available . This time again bought from Japan .

Believe me SX-400N out of the box faulty ….measures power but don’t measure SWR.

Performance :

Whatever antenna , coax used at any frequency it measure SWR within 1.5 ……

I removed antenna from the power meter and then checked SWR ….it was 1.7 that is bull shit and nothing!!!!!

I again contacted Diamond Antenna and protested against their bad quality of products. This time they replied and my both units are
Now under repair at their end.

There is no doubt I personally like & recommend Diamond Antenna products but now Diamond has made their Diamond de-valued.

AP2RF

N2CSA Rating: 2/5 Sep 19, 2007 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Defective right out of the box.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a meter covering DC to daylight. The SX-1000 seemed to fit the bill. I bought one based on the reviews here at eHam. The SWR measusrement worked satisfactorily on HF only. It intermittently reported my 2 meter antennas as having problems. It consistently reported my 440 and 33cm antennas as having issues. I compared the SX-1000 to a calibrated Telewave 44A. Reflected power on the SX-1000 was over stated by as much as 300%. I sent the meter to Diamond. I have the tech's report. He repaired a cold solder joint. He soldered an incomplete connection and still found an intermittent problem with both sensors on the 200 W range. He finally recommended replacement. The replacement seems to work fine. The problems were sloppy manufacture and poor quality control. I guess it was assembled on a Monday morning. On the positive side, warranty service was fast and professional.

KE6PID Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2006 14:09 Send this review to a friend
A good One!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does a good job, and covers most of the spectrum. It's quite accurate most of the time.
One very nice feature is the low power requirement to set the VSWR calibration; you can set full scale with less than 4 watts, sometimes less. It's great for QRP use. It's very well made and looks good.

The SX-1000 has 2 sensors, and 4 switch selectable bands so that the calibration can be optimized for the particular band in question. Since it has 2 sensors it has 4 connections, SO-239 for 1.8 to 160 MHz and type N for UHF (420 to 1300 MHz). Once connected to 12 volts the meter has switched band indicator lights and meter illumination.

If there is any downfall the meter is slightly on the small side and the meter could be larger-although it's quite large for the size of the instrument.

KB0ETC Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2003 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There is nothing better in the class for the price range.

A little expensive, but you are getting many capabilities and band coverage in one meter.

I own the SX-600 and the SX-1000.

The meter is very accurate, it is a peice of test equipment - not just a reference point. It is that good.

I agree that thier "manual", which leaves much to be desired.

Built very well. I have used Diawa, MFJ, and Yaesu meters. The Diamond surpasses them!

This is why all my mobile antennas, and base VHF/UHF antennas are Diamond. Build to last.

Remember: "A Diamond is Forever".